Increasing JAR Attendance/Engaging the Fans

50 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

Yes, for starters Wake Forrest is very much in the discussion for at-large. They would curb stomp the MAC this year if they were in this conference.

Wait until they go 3-5 in their final 8 games. 

10 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said:

Wake average- 8331.

That would be 57% of the arena. My observations are they are getting less than 50% for most weekend games and all weeknight games. The games are fun to go to, but we all know how overinflated NCAA attendance reporting is. 

1 hour ago, GP1 said:

That would be 57% of the arena. My observations are they are getting less than 50% for most weekend games and all weeknight games. The games are fun to go to, but we all know how overinflated NCAA attendance reporting is. 

It's because the numbers are based off of tickets sold, not the number who scan tickets to get in. When I was a season ticket holder I'd make it to roughly 10 out of the 15 games. Life happens and the vast majority of season ticket holders can't make it to every game.

14 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

Even if that does happen, they're still vastly better than any MAC team. On a neutral court they would be favored by double figures against Akron.

I agree. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/7/2024 at 7:47 PM, ClevelandZip said:

One hurdle besides attracting alumni and the community to these games I’ll add in is the student body. When I was going to UA the student body was almost 30,000 and it’s closer to 15,000 now. It also may be me, but I feel like the students aren’t as into sports either. There doesn’t seem to be a lot of AK Rowdies anymore.

The $10 parking is kind of annoying but I’ve just been parking on the street (virtually on-campus) and walking a few minutes. That would be super annoying for less mobile people, though.

You must have been there when I was. The year we played Tennessee the on-campus enrollment was 32,000. I checked it the other day. It's not even 12,000 now. A little over 10,000 undergrads, and a little over ~1,000 graduate students.

Scarborough was a devastating blow to the University, and Stark State moving in because of changes to State funding for Public Universities forcing UA to scrap Summit College, the University has been in a death spiral for near of a decade.

My friends who are faculty at YSU talk about Akron being the model for what is taking place in Public Universities; scrap all the programs to bare-bones and become a papermill.

I'm not shocked the AK Rowdies barely exist anymore, the student body barely exists anymore.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ZipCat said:

You must have been there when I was. The year we played Tennessee the on-campus enrollment was 32,000. I checked it the other day. It's not even 12,000 now. A little over 10,000 undergrads, and a little over ~1,000 graduate students.

Scarborough was a devastating blow to the University, and Stark State moving in because of changes to State funding for Public Universities forcing UA to scrap Summit College, the University has been in a death spiral for near of a decade.

My friends who are faculty at YSU talk about Akron being the model for what is taking place in Public Universities; scrap all the programs to bare-bones and become a papermill.

I'm not shocked the AK Rowdies barely exist anymore, the student body barely exists anymore.

It's impossible to blame this all on 1 person. Although Scarborough certainly didn't help. 

Pew research published this study in December. In the US College enrollment peaked in 2011. In 2022 there were 1.2 million fewer enrollees attending college compared to 2011. That would mean it's not just Akron feeling this burn, but most places. There are fewer Gen Z than there are millennials and a fewer percentage of Gen Z are going to college compared to millenials. In the coming years I'd expect more and more small private Universities to fail as they burn through their endowments and more consolidation.

I feel Proenza is more to blame for Akron's poor financial standing. He dug the University into massive debt expanding the campus. Now we have all this excess space that we're paying for that we really don't need.

https://www.pewresearch.org/short-reads/2023/12/18/fewer-young-men-are-in-college-especially-at-4-year-schools/#:~:text=College enrollment among young Americans,fewer young men pursuing college.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Zippy87 said:

I did the same.

I have to go out of town and moved everyhting to accomodate the Zips schedule so I could attend what I believed would be Senior Night (Tuesday, March 5th) and then received the email.  I will miss my second game of the season on March 2nd and it is now Senior Night.

I love and appreciate this team.  Really wish I could be there to see it.

Go Zips!

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Akron1 said:

I have to go out of town and moved everyhting to accomodate the Zips schedule so I could attend what I believed would be Senior Night (Tuesday, March 5th) and then received the email.  I will miss my second game of the season on March 2nd and it is now Senior Night.

I love and appreciate this team.  Really wish I could be there to see it.

Go Zips!

Yeah this is a big miss by the Athletic Department. I don't necessarily care that Senior Night is the 2nd to last home game on a Saturday, but it's not like Senior Night snuck up on the department as a "promo". Senior Night should've been announced when the schedule came out, especially since it's not the last home game of the season. 

Tribble, Freeman, Ali, and Hunter deserve the whole community's support. Hard to do that when even the diehards are caught off guard. 

• Like 6

I was likely going to get tickets for the EMU game assuming it was senior night. I do wonder if the reason for the change might be that it is easier for the players' families to be there on the weekend. Overall attendance is probably better on a Saturday, too?

22 minutes ago, ewbrooman1 said:

I was likely going to get tickets for the EMU game assuming it was senior night. I do wonder if the reason for the change might be that it is easier for the players' families to be there on the weekend. Overall attendance is probably better on a Saturday, too?

They might also hope it drives better attendance for the women's game to give them a better send-off.

On 1/13/2024 at 11:35 AM, Blue & Gold said:

💯 Retro design (Camden Yards style) but with modern amenities. 

Picking up from our previous conversation. I forgot all about the Palestra. This would be my basic blue print with some stylist changes and big comfy seats for the whole audience except for right behind the baskets. Now I just need to win the lottery. Come on big money!!

On 2/22/2024 at 12:01 PM, kreed5120 said:

They might also hope it drives better attendance for the women's game to give them a better send-off.

I am not there today, but I doubt having a women's game start 3 hours before the men's was going to do much for either's attendance. I did notice today that Can't is hosting a doubleheader today, also. Their starting times were 1 and 3:30. Those times make a lot more sense to me. You can have a little early lunch, stay for both games with less time in between and not run through the dinner hour and not get out of the JAR until after 8.