Game 20- Miami

25 minutes ago, Zippy87 said:

After Freeman our tallest true big is Lyles at 6'7". Hunter is 6'9" but allergic to the paint. We don't have a second true big on the roster that is capable of playing important minutes. I really thought that'd be Baker, and maybe they did too? I agree you can't expect another Freeman, I would've just liked to see someone 6'8 or taller that could come off the bench and defend down low.

I totally agree with your points on missing an Ali-type player last year and the guard play this year. And don't get me wrong - this is still a really good team that should win the MAC. I don't think it's one that can win a tournament game though (but I hope to be proven wrong on that).

I think there's something to the Baker discussion. Everything I saw from his highlights was he could play every position on the court (except maybe PG), including being a bruiser/banger down low. 

This team can win a March Madness game. They were within a basket of beating a top 20-30 team in Utah State, and another basket away from beating UNLV. Those were without Ali Ali. Almost this exact team was a minute away from beating UCLA 2 seasons ago. We don't have anybody like X2.0 this year, but Freeman is undoubtedly better and we'd probably get more from Ali Ali this time around. Have faith. 😉

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

I think there's something to the Baker discussion. Everything I saw from his highlights was he could play every position on the court (except maybe PG), including being a bruiser/banger down low. 

This team can win a March Madness game. They were within a basket of beating a top 20-30 team in Utah State, and another basket away from beating UNLV. Those were without Ali Ali. Almost this exact team was a minute away from beating UCLA 2 seasons ago. We don't have anybody like X2.0 this year, but Freeman is undoubtedly better and we'd probably get more from Ali Ali this time around. Have faith. 😉

I was disappointed Baker didn't play this year. I get it, but I really thought he could contribute right away from everything I read and heard about him. 

I think the team that almost beat UCLA had two things this one doesn't- a guard who can crush you for doubling Freeman (and do a lot more) in X and a second big in Aziz. 

I do think we can beat a top team, I just think it's unlikely. It would require great games from Freeman and Ali, and at least one other player going off (Hunter, Dawson, etc).

43 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said:

I think the guard depth makes up a little for none of them being a star.  Groce can keep them fresh and mix and match to get the most out of them.  This team needs a 3rd guy to emerge regardless of position.

Scott has grown on me. He active on offense and is a good rebounder for a guard. I'm less impressed by Thornton, but hoping he comes along offensively. Tavari is the wild card - I think he has the highest ceiling but also probably the lowest floor of the three of those guards.

36 minutes ago, Zippy87 said:

I was disappointed Baker didn't play this year. I get it, but I really thought he could contribute right away from everything I read and heard about him. 

I think the team that almost beat UCLA had two things this one doesn't- a guard who can crush you for doubling Freeman (and do a lot more) in X and a second big in Aziz. 

I do think we can beat a top team, I just think it's unlikely. It would require great games from Freeman and Ali, and at least one other player going off (Hunter, Dawson, etc).

Aziz played twelve minutes and had 2 points and 3 rebounds. Big shoes to fill this March 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Zippy87 said:

I think the "X Factor" on this team is Tribble. It may not be from beyond the arc, but when this team needs a jolt offensively, the ball goes in his hands and he dribble penetrates with a floater or draws a foul. We did not have this level of Tribble in previous seasons. 

• Like 5

51 minutes ago, zippy5 said:

Aziz played twelve minutes and had 2 points and 3 rebounds. Big shoes to fill this March 

And the only reason he got those minutes is Freeman only played 24 minutes due to foul trouble. Otherwise he would have only played 5-6 minutes. Ali was the PF on that team. The lineup Groce is running out today is bigger than that team.

Edit: I do agree we need more production out of out pg. Castaneda didn't really figure it out and turn it on until mid-February or so. We're going to need one of our guards make some strides between now and March.

Edited by kreed5120
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, zippy5 said:

Looking at points and rebounds alone and not considering the rim protection he added in those minutes - especially once Freeman had foul trouble- is discounting his contribution considerably.

2 hours ago, kreed5120 said:

And the only reason he got those minutes is Freeman only played 24 minutes due to foul trouble. Otherwise he would have only played 5-6 minutes. Ali was the PF on that team. The lineup Groce is running out today is bigger than that team.

Edit: I do agree we need more production out of out pg. Castaneda didn't really figure it out and turn it on until mid-February or so. We're going to need one of our guards make some strides between now and March.

What happens if Freeman gets in foul trouble again against a good team this year? That's exactly what I'm saying - they have nobody to cover those minutes defensively.

3 hours ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

I think the "X Factor" on this team is Tribble. It may not be from beyond the arc, but when this team needs a jolt offensively, the ball goes in his hands and he dribble penetrates with a floater or draws a foul. We did not have this level of Tribble in previous seasons. 

If Tribble didn't make the leap he has this season, we may be closer to a middle-of-the-pack MAC team. He's always been a great defender but his improvement on the offensive end has been huge for this group. I love Tribble - perfect example of hard work paying off and good player development by the coaching staff. I'm hopeful Tavari can make a similar leap at some point.

1 hour ago, Zippy87 said:

What happens if Freeman gets in foul trouble again against a good team this year? That's exactly what I'm saying - they have nobody to cover those minutes defensively.

The Zips blew the game against UCLA once Freeman fouled out. Aziz didn't replace Freeman's impact. He didn't even come remotely close. When you're a mid-major and have a top 15-20 player at a position there is no replacing them. If they get injured or fouled out, you're screwed. This isn't UNC or Kentucky where you have 4* recruits sitting on the bench just waiting their turn.

Edited by kreed5120

1 hour ago, kreed5120 said:

The Zips blew the game against UCLA once Freeman fouled out. Aziz didn't replace Freeman's impact. He didn't even come remotely close. When you're a mid-major and have a top 15-20 player at a position there is no replacing them. If they get injured or fouled out, you're screwed. This isn't UNC or Kentucky where you have 4* recruits sitting on the bench just waiting their turn.

Akron led 49-42 when Freeman picked up his 4th foul. UCLA then hit a 3 pointer, an outside jumper, and another 3 pointer while he was out...not sure any of that's on Aziz defensively.

And again, nobody is expecting a star coming off the bench. Aziz had size and could help defensively inside. Lyles comes in now and (good) opposing teams will immediately take advantage of mismatches inside.

4 hours ago, Zippy87 said:

Akron led 49-42 when Freeman picked up his 4th foul. UCLA then hit a 3 pointer, an outside jumper, and another 3 pointer while he was out...not sure any of that's on Aziz defensively.

And again, nobody is expecting a star coming off the bench. Aziz had size and could help defensively inside. Lyles comes in now and (good) opposing teams will immediately take advantage of mismatches inside.

And UCLA went on another 7-2 run to close out the game after Freeman fouled out. You can try to justify your argument however you want, but the Zips were badly outscored during the minutes Aziz was on the court. That can't be argued.

Edited by kreed5120

19 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

And UCLA went on another 7-2 run to close out the game after Freeman fouled out. You can try to justify your argument however you want, but the Zips were badly outscored during the minutes Aziz was on the court. That can't argued.

Two-point jumper, three pointer, and two free throws when we intentionally fouled.

None of those had anything to do with Aziz's defense.

Edited by Zippy87

10 hours ago, kreed5120 said:

And UCLA went on another 7-2 run to close out the game after Freeman fouled out. You can try to justify your argument however you want, but the Zips were badly outscored during the minutes Aziz was on the court. That can't be argued.

Don't bother feeding the troll.  He's only here to agitate 

5 hours ago, NWAkron said:

Don't bother feeding the troll.  He's only here to agitate 

I'm here to talk Zips athletics with fellow Zips fans. If you've got an issue with me personally shoot me a PM instead of airing it out on the forum, or simply set my posts to ignore. Let's be better than name-calling.

This you, by the way?

11 hours ago, zippy5 said:

Sounds like his "rim protection" was a game changer 

Didn't say it was. Aziz provided some defense and rim protection off the bench while he was here. Nothing more, nothing less.

Edited by Zippy87

Well I think I'm done here 😂

19 hours ago, Zippy87 said:

Looking at points and rebounds alone and not considering the rim protection he added in those minutes - especially once Freeman had foul trouble- is discounting his contribution considerably.

6 minutes ago, Zippy87 said:

Didn't say it was. Aziz provided some defense and rim protection off the bench while he was here. Nothing more, nothing less.

4 minutes ago, zippy5 said:

Well I think I'm done here 😂

OK? 

All I've said is that this year's team lacks depth off the bench in the frontcourt. I also felt Aziz provided that on our last MAC Champion. If you disagree, that's fine, we're not going to all agree on everything, but debate the points or simply agree to disagree and move on.

14 minutes ago, Blue & Gold said:

Tavari & Sammy came to life with 12 each 💪💪

That's just what we need from each of them.

Surprisingly Ali only had 5.

Would you guys agree Tribble isn't quite back to where he was prior to catching the flu, or is it just me?

He is looking stronger each game he plays.  Getting close to 100%

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 1981 grad said:

He is looking stronger each game he plays.  Getting close to 100%

Brimfield's big man who believes he's better than Enrique had 3 points, 3 turnovers and 5 fouls against Miami last night.  I can hear the MVP chants all the way from Garrettsville. 

• Haha 1