Game 27- PCCC

Here we go again!  The Flushes come to the JAR Friday night at 6:00 p.m. to face the Zips.  Mr. Pinky's squad stands at 13-13/6-7 and are fresh off of a loss at Athens.

Jalen Sullinger continues to lead Brimfield in scoring at 14.6 ppg.  "Better than Freeman" Payton leads rebounding at 7.3 rpg and is third in team scoring at 12.7 ppg.  Von Cameron Davis is second in scoring at 13.0 ppg. while also contributing 4.7 rpg.

Davis has become a much better player than I thought he would be when they recruited him.  He's becoming that Malique Jacobs type guy who does a little of everything for them (without the video expertise).  I really thought they were starting to run the corner but they've never quite gotten there.  On paper they seem to have the talent to be much better than their record, but they've never seemed to have really meshed.  

• Thanks 2

Zips haven't played a home game in quite awhile. Hopefully the crowd (It's a Whiteout!) and setting get the offense going. Going to have some rough patches in a season but three games is enough. Time to snap out of it and Friday offers all the ingredients to do so.

Not sure what's up with Brimfield Tech. But I would very much like to beat them Friday and then have them in the oppo bracket in Cleveland. 

PCCC lost their top 3 scorers in Insincere, Jacobs and Thomas, but I thought Sullinger, Payton, Santiago and Davis and the addition of MAC Freshman of the Year Bass would result in a decent team.  From what I've seen of them they just don't seem to have come together as a team.  Bass has been a let down.  He went from 31 minutes per game, 12.4 ppg, 3.6 rpg and 3.3 apg at CMU to 20 mpg, 8.6 ppg, 2.3 rpg and 1.4 apg at PCCC.  

It will be interesting to see how the rotation evolves over the last five regular season games. T. Johnson, Scott, and Thornton have all had their minutes fluctuate over the last few games and Prather has started to see limited minutes. 

Tavari in particular looked good against Kent the first time, so I'd expect to see a decent amount of him on the court Friday.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Zippy87 said:

It will be interesting to see how the rotation evolves over the last five regular season games. T. Johnson, Scott, and Thornton have all had their minutes fluctuate over the last few games and Prather has started to see limited minutes. 

Tavari in particular looked good against Kent the first time, so I'd expect to see a decent amount of him on the court Friday.

My gut told me Tavari's minutes we re up but to my surprise that's not been the case.  In the 5 games in February, his minutes have gone: 13-23-12-17-13.  Scott's:22-22-14-11-13.  Thornton: 13-17-12-5-10. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Westie said:

Not much chatter considering the opponent tomorrow night. This game could really shift the momentum after these last few uneven performances. Joint should be jumpin.

Go Zips!

After 3 bad games that were big disappointments that will happen even though one of the games was a win.  I think it was a big realization that this team may not be as talented as we thought it was excluding the 4 seniors.  I grew up in Philly and still root for the Eagles.  if the Zips lose at home to a weak Kent team it will remind me of the Eagles collapse.  We need to win this game at home.

23 minutes ago, 1981 grad said:

After 3 bad games that were big disappointments that will happen even though one of the games was a win.  I think it was a big realization that this team may not be as talented as we thought it was excluding the 4 seniors.  I grew up in Philly and still root for the Eagles.  if the Zips lose at home to a weak Kent team it will remind me of the Eagles collapse.  We need to win this game at home.

The circumstances are better for this year's 3 game slide rather than 2022. Going 1-2 with one of the losses being non-conference on the road, I would much rather take that than losing to NIU at home 

When we last played PCCC, their starters were Bass, Davis, Sullinger, Payton and Bekelja.  Since then, Payton was moved to the bench against Miami on January 30th, and their newest starting lineup is Sullinger, Davis, Santiago, Hornbeak and Bekelja.  Hard to believe you'd have a player better than the preseason MAC POY coming off of the bench.  LOL.  

4 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said:

When we last played PCCC, their starters were Bass, Davis, Sullinger, Payton and Bekelja.  Since then, Payton was moved to the bench against Miami on January 30th, and their newest starting lineup is Sullinger, Davis, Santiago, Hornbeak and Bekelja.  Hard to believe you'd have a player better than the preseason MAC POY coming off of the bench.  LOL.  

They must have a really stacked line up for that to happen!

Also surprising Bass has been benched. From my loose following of Can't, he hasn't seemed to meet expectations, but was pretty impressive at CMU last year.

3 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said:

Seems like Fraud Freeman hasn't played a whole lot recently either

5 minutes ago, Reslife4Life said:

Seems like Fraud Freeman hasn't played a whole lot recently either

I read that in their Miami game, he snapped at Pinky when being taken out early in the 2nd half (maybe, memory hazy) and has barely played since then.

Also, Mike Bekelja has received D1 scholarships from two different basketball programs. I find that confounding. 

1 hour ago, LoyalZIP said:

I read that in their Miami game, he snapped at Pinky when being taken out early in the 2nd half (maybe, memory hazy) and has barely played since then.

Also, Mike Bekelja has received D1 scholarships from two different basketball programs. I find that confounding. 

I saw a brief excerpt from a PCCC post-game where Pinky was openly critical of Payton, saying it was the worst he'd ever seen him play.