Game 28- Ohio

The Zips headed to Athens Tuesday night to face the Bobcats.  The Bobcats are 14-12/8-5 going into today's game against NIU.

The Zips beat the Bobcats 67-58 earlier in the season in a relatively competitive game at the JAR.  The Bobcats played the Zips even in the second half.

Senior guard Jaylin Hunter continues to lead OU in both scoring and assists.

Edited by clarkwgriswold
  • Thanks 2

59 minutes ago, Illini Zip said:

Looking through those photos I see Pinky with a tennis ball. What was that about? Maybe a stress reliever so he doesn’t get so pink?

He is an odd character. He uses the tennis ball as a stress reliever and also signals plays with it every once in a while. He also employs the use of laminated 8.5x11 sheets of paper with plays on them to signal to the players on the floor, strewn across the scorers' table. At coaches conferences, Dambrot and Groce (his friends) are often the coaches he speaks with the most as many guys in the business, while they respect him, find him awkward and "weird" for lack of a better term. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, LoyalZIP said:

He is an odd character. He uses the tennis ball as a stress reliever and also signals plays with it every once in a while. He also employs the use of laminated 8.5x11 sheets of paper with plays on them to signal to the players on the floor, strewn across the scorers' table. At coaches conferences, Dambrot and Groce (his friends) are often the coaches he speaks with the most as many guys in the business, while they respect him, find him awkward and "weird" for lack of a better term. 

Would this have anything to do with his key involvement in the Sampson/Indiana scandal? Or are they avoiding him out of envy for being paid $300k per year with mediocrity being the expectation?

9 hours ago, kreed5120 said:

A loss, combined with a Toledo win and CMU loss would slide us down to the #2 seed. 

They may be wrong but I put that scenario in the bracket scenario simulator and we'd still be #1 according to it if BG wins. If BG also loses, then they drop us to #2.

https://bball.notnothing.net/mac.php?sport=mbb

Edited by Zippy87

10 minutes ago, Zippy87 said:

They may be wrong but I put that scenario in the bracket scenario simulator and we'd still be #1 according to it if BG wins. If BG also loses, then they drop us to #2.

https://bball.notnothing.net/mac.php?sport=mbb

I could have had the tie-breaker wrong. My thought process in that scenario was that Akron and Toledo would have the same record. Ohio would pass CMU for 3rd place since they would own the head-to-head. Toledo went 2-0 against Ohio, but we would go 0-1. Toledo would have the better record against the 3rd place MAC team. Was there another tie-breaker that comes in play before that I'm missing?

1 hour ago, kreed5120 said:

I could have had the tie-breaker wrong. My thought process in that scenario was that Akron and Toledo would have the same record. Ohio would pass CMU for 3rd place since they would own the head-to-head. Toledo went 2-0 against Ohio, but we would go 0-1. Toledo would have the better record against the 3rd place MAC team. Was there another tie-breaker that comes in play before that I'm missing?

If Akron loses and BG and Toledo both win, it lists Akron #1 above Toledo based on winning percentage against the #5 team [BGSU] (1-0). No idea if that's correct or not.

Edited by Zippy87

On 2/26/2024 at 11:40 AM, Illini Zip said:

Looking through those photos I see Pinky with a tennis ball. What was that about? Maybe a stress reliever so he doesn’t get so pink?

I think it works the other way - increases blood flow to the face so he can get a brighter hue.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, mrelegazna said:

Tiebreaker procedures from the horse's mouth:

https://getsomemaction.com/sports/2023/2/24/BSK_0224232059.aspx

This was a published a year ago, don't know if anything's changed.  But if I'm looking at it right, it seems that Toledo wins the tiebreaker if Akron and Toledo end up tied for first. I'd love some confirmation or refutation.

Here is the tiebreaker from that link.

Between TWO teams:
A. Head-to-head competition
B. Winning percentage* vs. ranked conference teams (top to bottom vs. common opponents regardless of the number of times played)
C. Coin flip
* - Winning percentage is used instead of record because of situations where teams do not play each other the same number of times. Therefore, a team that is 1-0 (1.000) would win the tiebreaker over a team that is 1-1 (.500).

The simple answer is it depends on the final standings of the other teams.  Akron and Toledo split, so A is a wash.  Then it goes to B.  Right now (prior to today's games), Akron holds the tiebreaker because they are 1-0 against CMU, who is in 3rd place.  Toledo went 0-1.  As the standings change, so will this tiebreaker.

Edited by zipsrule
  • Like 1