2024 Post Mortem and Looking Ahead to 2025.

While we wait for the OOC to be announced, one game we do know is the Sun Belt is at the MAC early in the season. 

Akron will probably have either App State or James Madison - both of which have new coaches and full roster turnover. 

On 5/6/2024 at 6:50 PM, clarkwgriswold said:

The community has indicated they don't want to help pay for a new arena.  The University doesn't have the money and nothing is likely to come from the state.  As such, any progress will have to be made with the JAR.

My wish list:

1.   Get rid of the track and the glass railings.

2.  New seatbacks on both sides.

3.  Upper seating moves forward into space previously occupied by the track.

4.  Re-open a gate on the north side of the JAR.

We will fund this all with the increased revenue from having Red Panda perform at halftime at every home game.

If we could only get an alumni to win the Mega-Millions or Powerball...then we'd be set.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

On 6/4/2024 at 9:38 AM, ZipCat said:

If we could only get an alumni to win the Mega-Millions or Powerball...then we'd be set.

If I'm not mistaken, Bud Wentz mentioned that some sort of renovation is in the works for the JAR. There is legitimate money coming into athletics (baseball just got over $1M from the Skeeles family) and Guthrie stated "we're just getting started".

Edited by Let'sGoZips94
  • Like 2

I am not good at copying an email, but there's an Akron Basketball Reunion and Reception at the Jean Hower Taber Student Union, on Saturday, July 27th.  Doors open at 6:00 with dinner and program at 7:15.  Register through the athletic department.  $100 a ticket.

Edited by clarkwgriswold
  • Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...

Posting this here as to not hijack the Freeman thread:

I think when evaluating Groce, you have to kind of separate coaching vs recruiting. I don't have many complaints on coaching. I do think there there have been some misses in recruiting. These are all certainly debatable.

Hits

Loren Cristian Jackson

Tyler Cheese

Channel Banks

Malcolm Duvivier

Xeyrius Williams

Ali Ali

Enrique Freeman (some luck here, though)

Mikal Dawson

Xavier Castaneda

Greg Tribble

Aziz Bandaogo

Trendon Hankerson

Sammy Hunter

Neutral

Shammah Scott

Nate Johnson

Tavari Johnson

Deng Riak

Bryan Trimble

Michael Wynn

Maishe Dailey

Jermaine Marshall (became a solid player elsewhere)

Misses

Mark Kostelac

Cameron Reece

Taylor Currie

Tre Edwards

Garvin Clarke

KJ Walton

Eric Hester

Sekou Kalle

Kobe Mitchell

Amani Lyles (prove me wrong, Amani!)

Kaleb Thornton

Ryan Prather Jr.

Darrion Baker

Khadim Gueye

• Thanks 1

I think when you evaluate Groce. How can you not be happy. He has found a way to make it to the NCAA tournament 2 out of 3 years. Since joining the MAC Akron has made it 5 times. That is 5 in 32 year we are in the good times! 

The core of Ali Ali and Freeman was unstoppable. Sure you would have wished to capitalize on those 2 elite players and win a tournament game. But I’m just glad to have my team get called on selection Sunday. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mid-American_Conference_men's_basketball_tournament#Tournament_champions

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, ZipsFan31 said:

He has found a way to make it to the NCAA tournament 2 out of 3 years.

Not to mention we were in the driver’s seat in 2020 before Covid struck. That could have made it 3 out of 5 years.

I believe the horses are in the barn for another exciting season. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Illini Zip said:

Not to mention we were in the driver’s seat in 2020 before Covid struck. That could have made it 3 out of 5 years.

This cannot be understated. The BS move to cancel everything in 2020 set this program back a few years. The Freeman thread posed the question "what will Freeman's draft pick do for the program" - imagine where we'd be with a potential tourney run in 2020 AND Freeman getting drafted?

• Like 2

4 hours ago, ZipsFan31 said:

I think when you evaluate Groce. How can you not be happy. He has found a way to make it to the NCAA tournament 2 out of 3 years. Since joining the MAC Akron has made it 5 times. That is 5 in 32 year we are in the good times! 

The core of Ali Ali and Freeman was unstoppable. Sure you would have wished to capitalize on those 2 elite players and win a tournament game. But I’m just glad to have my team get called on selection Sunday. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mid-American_Conference_men's_basketball_tournament#Tournament_champions

I haven't seen anyone say they aren't happy. We can appreciate the success we've had while also analyzing good and bad decisions that have been made.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Illini Zip said:

Without covid, players like Ali or Freeman would have had 1 less year of eligibility therefore they wouldn't have been on last year's Zips team. It's really hard to predict how things would have been in an alternate reality where covid didn't exist.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, kreed5120 said:

Without covid, players like Ali or Freeman would have had 1 less year of eligibility therefore they wouldn't have been on last year's Zips team. It's really hard to predict how things would have been in an alternate reality where covid didn't exist.

Agreed. I would gladly trade a year of their eligibility for the 2020 team having a postseason. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, zippy5 said:

One less year of Enrique, no thanks 

I get it. Enrique made great use of his time at Akron. And watching him take over games by himself and racking up awards and records was awesome. I just think it’s likely we would have been further along if not for Covid.

That 2020 team was balanced and built to do damage in the NCAAT. Groce was licking his chops. I know there is no guarantee that the Zips would have won in Cleveland, but they were the best team in the league that year. And if they could just escape the MAC officiating I could see them making the Sweet 16. With that you either lose Groce (which I doubt) or the program takes off with higher level recruits. Enrique would still have been a stud, but he would have had a lot more support.

I’m hoping next year’s team does for Akron what the 2020 was denied a chance of doing. 

Go Zips!!