2024 Post Mortem and Looking Ahead to 2025.

On 5/2/2024 at 4:10 PM, zvillezip said:

The JAR is not too small as it only sells out for the Can't game.  Most games it is half full. My suggestion is to make it more intimate and comfortable for the spectators.  Sacrifice some seating capacity to make it an even better environment.  The bleachers are bad. Remove them and put chairs in and upgrade the seating in the lower stands to make them better. Put the students behind the baskets with several hundred at each end.  They will go nuts.

This^^^^ 

might be the perfect solution to fixing the JAR 

On 5/4/2024 at 1:26 PM, Blue & Gold said:

Speaking of great promotions.

Bobbleheads are moronic, if Akron had a throwback bobblehead with the Townhouse on one side and the Plazma Alliance rendition on the opposite side, it might be interesting to me. 

• Haha 2

43 minutes ago, ClevelandZip said:

Agreed. I just wish in this scenario that we could do something about that darn track.

They can. Bring the upper level closer and connect it with the lower bowl. The endzones should go floor to ceiling, too. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

They can. Bring the upper level closer and connect it with the lower bowl. The endzones should go floor to ceiling, too. 

I am willing to contribute a whole $100 to this project. Who’s with me!?

• Like 1

On 5/2/2024 at 4:10 PM, zvillezip said:

The JAR is not too small as it only sells out for the Can't game.  Most games it is half full. My suggestion is to make it more intimate and comfortable for the spectators.  Sacrifice some seating capacity to make it an even better environment.  The bleachers are bad. Remove them and put chairs in and upgrade the seating in the lower stands to make them better. Put the students behind the baskets with several hundred at each end.  They will go nuts.

I'd keep the students where they are - it's too hard for them to coordinate chants on opposite ends and limits the student capacity down low. Having them directly across from the opponent bench works well.

I wholeheartedly agree on the bleachers, though. Even replacing bleachers on one sideline and keeping them for the end zones would be a huge upgrade.

3 hours ago, zippy5 said:

the only change I'd make to the students is giving them more seats along the sideline. They can fill up an entire side most nights

I really miss the seats behind the baskets. I know that it was pointless to have 4 rows or whatever, but if they could find a way to pack the ends or an entire sideline that would really go a long way. Another bonus is that it could be converted to bleachers because students will be standing most of the game anyway. Then fill the rest of the arena with chairbacks. 

• Like 1

The community has indicated they don't want to help pay for a new arena.  The University doesn't have the money and nothing is likely to come from the state.  As such, any progress will have to be made with the JAR.

My wish list:

1.   Get rid of the track and the glass railings.

2.  New seatbacks on both sides.

3.  Upper seating moves forward into space previously occupied by the track.

4.  Re-open a gate on the north side of the JAR.

We will fund this all with the increased revenue from having Red Panda perform at halftime at every home game.

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said:

The community has indicated they don't want to help pay for a new arena.  The University doesn't have the money and nothing is likely to come from the state.  As such, any progress will have to be made with the JAR.

My wish list:

1.   Get rid of the track and the glass railings.

2.  New seatbacks on both sides.

3.  Upper seating moves forward into space previously occupied by the track.

4.  Re-open a gate on the north side of the JAR.

We will fund this all with the increased revenue from having Red Panda perform at halftime at every home game.

Could you imagine a season-long deal with Red Panda?! The media coverage alone would be worth it. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, akzipper said:

I really miss the seats behind the baskets. I know that it was pointless to have 4 rows or whatever, but if they could find a way to pack the ends or an entire sideline that would really go a long way. Another bonus is that it could be converted to bleachers because students will be standing most of the game anyway. Then fill the rest of the arena with chairbacks. 

Having been a season ticket holder in what is now the student section

and in earlier years the adjacent midcourt section, I can't say I think much of the student section placement now. The sightlines in the JAR are bad enough without having to look over standing student's heads. Why not put the students in the 4 corner blue seat sections and put the seats behind the baskets back for them, too? They'd wrap around both baskets and not be in others sightlines.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ewbrooman1 said:

Why not put the students in the 4 corner blue seat sections and put the seats behind the baskets back for them, too? They'd wrap around both baskets and not be in others sightlines.

That's a pretty good idea!

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, ewbrooman1 said:

Having been a season ticket holder in what is now the student section

and in earlier years the adjacent midcourt section, I can't say I think much of the student section placement now. The sightlines in the JAR are bad enough without having to look over standing student's heads. Why not put the students in the 4 corner blue seat sections and put the seats behind the baskets back for them, too? They'd wrap around both baskets and not be in others sightlines.

The seats that were behind the baskets have been cannibalize for parts to replace/repair other seats. There are no replacements manufactured any longer.

On 5/6/2024 at 8:25 AM, ClevelandZip said:

I am willing to contribute a whole $100 to this project. Who’s with me!?

I'd be willing to donate $100 to finding the missing stall door from the lone crapper on the press box side of the Rubber Bowl. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Hilltopper said:

The seats that were behind the baskets have been cannibalize for parts to replace/repair other seats. There are no replacements manufactured any longer.

So buy some other seats. Construct something different.

Edited by ewbrooman1
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, ewbrooman1 said:

So buy some other seats. Construct something different.

Those ugly blue seats have been around for what 20-30 years at least? It's time for an upgrade regardless all student sections should be bleachers anyway. 

• Like 1

The underlying problem with the JAR is that it was built as a multi-purpose facility.  As a result, it doesn't fill any of its purposes very well.

The seatback seats are old and beaten as is their support structure. Time for an upgrade and to expand them to both sides, leaving bleachers on the ends.

• Like 2