2024 Off-Season CBB Tracker & Discussion

PCCC gets another transfer, this time from Boston U. 6'8" F Anthony Morales. Played in 17 games last year and averaged 10.7 ppg and 4.3 rpg. He's a stretch 4 that had some big time performances in the Patriot League. Not sure if it was injury or eligibility that kept him out for the first month of the season, but his first game wasn't until 12/10. Roller coaster type player that seems to disappear completely for some games, and explode in others. 

You also may recognize him from his Academy Award Winning performance in the Disney movie "Encanto" where he played Bruno. 

4590364.png&w=350&h=254

81xNJrpZ4gL._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

8 minutes ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

Mikal Dawson has entered the Portal. There's the first for Akron. 

Had a really rough year coming back from injury.  Was not the same player as last year.  Rarely attacked the basket and just settled for a 3 point shot.  Further, he did not shoot the ball well from long range.  I would think the coach guided him to seek another team but that is mere conjecture.  Although he was a great guy, this is addition by subtraction with regard to how the team will be next year.

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, 1981 grad said:

Had a really rough year coming back from injury.  Was not the same player as last year.  Rarely attacked the basket and just settled for a 3 point shot.  Further, he did not shoot the ball well from long range.  I would think the coach guided him to seek another team but that is mere conjecture.  Although he was a great guy, this is addition by subtraction with regard to how the team will be next year.

I would agree. I was pounding the drum for him prior to the season and man, he just never found his game all year. On top of his poor shooting and lack of dribble drives, he made a lot of bone-headed mistakes. Trying too hard, maybe, but it was all year long. Frustrating. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 1981 grad said:

I doubt Groce forced him out. Dawson played meaningful minutes on this year's team, which in all likelihood will be far more talented on paper than whatever our roster looks like next year. Had he returned, I think it's a given he would have had a role in the rotation given the state of our current roster. It might not have been the role Dawson wanted however.

Getting Davis back is a plus for them ... and the transfer guy seems OK when he plays, but has had multiple injury issues over the years. They still need guards, several of them. Until they get some not really a top tier MAC threat IMO.

17 hours ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

Everyone says he's more of an NBA-type talent, not college. That's not exactly the description of a guy Groce would go after. 

Yeah this pipe dream of Bronny coming to Akron makes no sense. Maybe if we still had Freeman, Ali, Tribble, etc. But he's going to come into a bare/rebuilding program that averages like 2k per game in one of the weakest conferences? Akron/Cleveland isn't home to them anymore. I could see Ohio State or maybe Dayton. But that's it. 

45 minutes ago, akzipper said:

Yeah this pipe dream of Bronny coming to Akron makes no sense. Maybe if we still had Freeman, Ali, Tribble, etc. But he's going to come into a bare/rebuilding program that averages like 2k per game in one of the weakest conferences? Akron/Cleveland isn't home to them anymore. I could see Ohio State or maybe Dayton. But that's it. 

Does anyone really think that he's coming to Akron? I'd guess Duquesne would be well ahead of us in the pecking order as well. He'd play for a coach he knows and the A10 is leaps and bounds better than the MAC.

As for Dawson I see he references being a grad transfer.  That's great new if he got his degree.  As I recall, he initially was delayed in starting his Zip career due to some academic issue.

As for Bronny, it's not happening.  If somehow it did, he'd have the talent to do well in the MAC (though I don't think he's an NBA talent) but he'd have to buy into the Groce way.  Also, the media train that would bring could be a huge distraction.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, kreed5120 said:

Does anyone really think that he's coming to Akron? I'd guess Duquesne would be well ahead of us in the pecking order as well. He'd play for a coach he knows and the A10 is leaps and bounds better than the MAC.

The only people suggesting it are randoms on Twitter. Some radio idiots in Pittsburgh are acting like it's a guarantee he ends up with Duq, but they are delusional. Saying Bronny will play for Dru and Lebron is going to pump millions and millions into the program. Lebron is going to pay his own son to play for them? How does that even make sense? If he ends up there that just means he isn't good enough for a big conference.

These are the same morons who said they'd make it to the Elite 8. They haven't followed the Dukes for decades. But now all of a sudden they act like it's a national powerhouse. 

Edited by akzipper
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, kreed5120 said:

I was joking when I indicated that he would go to the Dukes but I bet Dru is at least making a phone call to see if there is any interest.

1 hour ago, 1981 grad said:

I was joking when I indicated that he would go to the Dukes but I bet Dru is at least making a phone call to see if there is any interest.

I don't think he's going to go there either. I'm more saying even the Dukes make more sense than Akron if he's looking to move back to the area.

• Like 1