NCAA Tournament- Game 1- UCLA

Our 2021-2022 MAC Champion Zips head to Portland Thursday to face UCLA in the 4/13 game.  The Zips come into the game at 24-9 on am 8 game win streak.  UCLA comes in at 25-7 out of the PAC-12, losing to Arizona in the conference tournament.

I’ll post more on the players and matchups later but wanted to get this up quick so that the conversation could get started.  Go Zips!

A quote from an article in Bruin Report Online-

Akron isn’t good, and UCLA should be able to cruise through that one. The Zips shoot a lot of threes, so that could be trouble, but they don’t have a ton of size, which has been the real issue for UCLA this year. If the Bruins are focused, they should be able to win going away.

Here's hoping UCLA has that same cocky attitude.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, clarkwgriswold said:

A quote from an article in Bruin Report Online-

Akron isn’t good, and UCLA should be able to cruise through that one. The Zips shoot a lot of threes, so that could be trouble, but they don’t have a ton of size, which has been the real issue for UCLA this year. If the Bruins are focused, they should be able to win going away.

Here's hoping UCLA has that same cocky attitude.

As a Toledo Rocket fan so wisely put it:

"RE: Keys to Beating Akron

Akron is not very good, but they are very gritty. If we can keep the game at a good pace I think we win fairly easily. If they are able to slow it down and grind it could be very tough. Would like us to press, but I donʻt know about the energy level."

I have to remember it's the seeding and match up that is important and NOT the location.

it was either Arkansas, Illinois, Providence, or UCLA.  I don't know which would have been the best match up.  But sucks 13th seed Lamont and the Mockingbirds get Pittsburgh.

Edited by NWAkron

I feel Akron was less talented than Toledo on paper too. Akron combatted this by slowing down the offense and using the full shot clock to minimize possessions. I expect us to do the same against UCLA. Guys like Ali and Castaneda will have to knock down tough shots with ~5 seconds left in shot clock for this to be effective.

Edited by kreed5120

19 minutes ago, The Hip Zip said:

Guessing UCLA will be about a 12 pt fav but just thinking out loud. Any kenpom guys here with a better notion?    I've seen them play and I think they can be had on any given night. We shouldn't be intimidated by any means.

Kenpom has it 71-58 UCLA

Edited by mrelegazna
  • Like 1

Anything can happen, but I'm quite confident we don't lose by a margin of 46 points.

Portland on Thursday really just sucks. Just about any other combination and I probably could have made the game.

Edited by LZIp

2 minutes ago, LZIp said:

Anything can happen, but I'm quite confident we don't lose by a margin of 46 points.

Portland on Thursday really just sucks. Just about any other combination and I probably could have made the game.

was it 46?  yikes.

On Delta, for $1551 you can leave Cleveland at 7am Wednesday, switch in Minneapolis, and arrive in PDX by 6pm.  If you want to stay a few days, you can then catch the red eye back Sunday morning at 12.50am and be home by 10.30

4 minutes ago, NWAkron said:

was it 46?  yikes.

On Delta, for $1551 you can leave Cleveland at 7am Wednesday, switch in Minneapolis, and arrive in PDX by 6pm.  If you want to stay a few days, you can then catch the red eye back Sunday morning at 12.50am and be home by 10.30

No worries, I am sure Hilltopper will have 2 tickets to Portland that he cannot use.  Dibs  (LOL)

• Haha 1