Game 21- Ohio U

clarkwgriswold

On 1/25/2023 at 1:44 PM, kreed5120 said:

I would think as of right now the MAC POY is a 3 horse race between Castaneda, Carry, and Dennis. 

Freeman has got to be somewhere in that race. Defending defensive player of the year that I have seen no drop off from and a double double machine averaging better than 14 points a game. And - Holy crap - today!

8 hours ago, LoyalZIP said:

The line for today opened at Zips -4.5 but has grown to as much as -7.5 at some books. Sitting at -6.5 now. That’s an awful lot of points for how Akron’s been shooting the ball. An easy cover would be nice. It’s about to get real for this team, they’re being out through the gauntlet. 

I have Fan Duel and I can’t make a single bet on the Zips. If I try to bet on the spread, either team I bet on I lose money. It wasn’t like that when I started. Before if I bet the negative I would win money. Yeah, I’m a newbie.

2 hours ago, Spin said:

I have Fan Duel and I can’t make a single bet on the Zips. If I try to bet on the spread, either team I bet on I lose money. It wasn’t like that when I started. Before if I bet the negative I would win money. Yeah, I’m a newbie.

If it's the Zips or Cavs I always add it to a parlay and pick an alt spread moving the opponent to like +10 or something. I figure either my team wins big or I win money.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, LZIp said:

Any win against OU is good one, though they seem like a second tier MAC team this year. Heck of a game by Freeman. Weird night where X’s shots just weren’t falling, but everyone else’s were. We needed it.

Rique had 15 boards with 5 minutes left. Thought he might go 20/20!

1 hour ago, LZIp said:

Any win against OU is good one, though they seem like a second tier MAC team this year. Heck of a game by Freeman. Weird night where X’s shots just weren’t falling, but everyone else’s were. We needed it.

I think they are above the middle of the conference and will only get better as the season goes on as they are quite young with 6 freshmen on the roster.

20 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said:

I think they are above the middle of the conference and will only get better as the season goes on as they are quite young with 6 freshmen on the roster.

Tell that to Kitten Attack.  Calling for Boals' head.  I thought his team played really well today

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, NWAkron said:

Tell that to Kitten Attack.  Calling for Boals' head.  I thought his team played really well today

Go home, Athens, you're drunk. 

They're still pissed at whomever installed internet and cable at the Burrow residence to allow Joe to find out there are other schools outside of OU that he could attend. 

Boals isn't particularly succeeding at OU, but he also isn't failing. They were spoiled with a special run by Groce and have otherwise been exactly what they have been under Boals - an above average MAC squad that competes in just about every game. Heck of a job by Boals and his staff to get their team to refocus and make this a game in the 2nd half. 

2 hours ago, akzipper said:

If it's the Zips or Cavs I always add it to a parlay and pick an alt spread moving the opponent to like +10 or something. I figure either my team wins big or I win money.

Always have to hedge your fandom/happiness. Over/Unders is another way to bet Akron. They're largely an under team, but the over 120 (or less) mark is typically safe too. Just gotta find a nice Alternate Total. 

3 hours ago, clarkwgriswold said:

He was in Akron for the Rubber Ducks kickoff event.  Not sure how he ended up at the JAR, but that's what had him in Akron.

Love it. I wonder if Kaulig brought him over (minority Guardians owner). Whatever we can do to have him around the University, we need to do. Everything said about him is he's one of the most genuine human beings people have met. Down to earth, intelligent, hard working, etc. Would be good to have him mentor our baseball program and any other student athlete interested. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, csims0917 said:

Tbh idk. I was there and we had the loudest regulars there but there’s a lot of “I’ll watch in march” going on whenever I try to hype up the games. Kent will still be full 

You guys were still great! It just doesn't look as intimidating when the section has a large swath of blue seats in the center. But you guys who were there were fantastic! Thank you! The players love it and it really adds to the atmosphere of the game day experience for everyone in attendance. 

I had another question, what was with so many of the Rowdies wearing red yesterday? What was the theme?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NWAkron said:

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cn-xfI1sKVm/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

freeman and hankerson.    High level character.

This group of kids is sure easy to like.  There doesn't seem to be a poor character kid in the group.

13 hours ago, NWAkron said:

I realize now that this is the second or third year I've essentially said "they're young, they're going to get better,"

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said:

This group of kids is sure easy to like.  There doesn't seem to be a poor character kid in the group.

I realize now that this is the second or third year I've essentially said "they're young, they're going to get better,"

Probably second year.  During the empty gym year, they won a tournament game.

Friday night I watched the Youngstown-Oakland game and came away impressed with the crowd, especially the students. In watching our game with OU Saturday I felt our gym looked hard empty compared to the near sellout YSU had. I still can't understand why the students don't support our team at a higher level of attendance. Saturday afternoon should have been perfect for any student living on campus or new it. Is that expecting too much for a team that is the envy of most D1 institutions?  

37 minutes ago, 72 Roo said:

Friday night I watched the Youngstown-Oakland game and came away impressed with the crowd, especially the students. In watching our game with OU Saturday I felt our gym looked hard empty compared to the near sellout YSU had. I still can't understand why the students don't support our team at a higher level of attendance. Saturday afternoon should have been perfect for any student living on campus or new it. Is that expecting too much for a team that is the envy of most D1 institutions?  

I was thinking about attendance as well during the game. Student attendance looked subpar, as did the general attendance. I give our students a little break in that the population is half of what it was a decade ago and I think in general they show up in decent enough numbers and are rowdy. What’s Joe Akron’s excuse? Lot of empty chair backs and bleachers. 

attendance stinks all around. Groce and the team deserve better. The program is every bit as good (if not better but not really worth debating) as it was when KD was here.