UA in the news

• 5 months later...
On 3/9/2023 at 4:10 PM, Blue & Gold said:

Great story and move by the University. It cost nothing for this free publicity while at the same time using a state institution to make good on a state mistake. 

Classes are going to be held.  An extra person or two actually costs nothing. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 5/19/2023 at 9:34 AM, VDizzle12 said:

The work at the fieldhouse's new Akron Children's Sports Health Center is coming along. Didn't even realize this was happening. 

Looks like it will be pretty cool when done. 

image.png

Nor did I, I used to practice in the fieldhouse once a week for the club lacrosse team. I'm excited to see how this turns out, if only they can somehow make the inside temperature under 120 F now lol

• 3 weeks later...

I admire Matt because he’s genuinely invested in the Zips. The guy could take a private jet anywhere in the world on a fall Saturday but more often than not he can be seen on the Zips home sideline. For everyone’s sake I hope his steadfast support pays off. He’s a special Akron dude. 

• Like 6

On 11/18/2023 at 10:43 PM, Captain Kangaroo said:

I admire Matt because he’s genuinely invested in the Zips. The guy could take a private jet anywhere in the world on a fall Saturday but more often than not he can be seen on the Zips home sideline. For everyone’s sake I hope his steadfast support pays off. He’s a special Akron dude. 

I like what he does also. 

There are a lot of schools where influential people like Matt are consulted with before making big decisions in the athletic department. I wonder if they discussed the OSU scheduling with him prior to making it, and if they did, what was his response?

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

https://signalakron.org/wonder-bread-building-university-akron-demolished/

I thought this was an interesting article. UA is demolishing the old Akron Baking/Wonder Bread building. It is also planning on demolishing other buildings and selling off ones that can be salvaged. The article specifically says UA is trying to sell Quaker Square (which is not unexpected).

A preservationist is quoted in the article saying that preserving Quaker Square, the Central Hower Auditorium, and the Martin building are his priorities.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

• 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, GP1 said:

I still don't understand how UofA was directly harmed.  How much UofA money did they take?

None. They joined a group that was promised rebates on their energy costs. The person that negotiated the rebates took his cut and the group got the rest. Somehow this has been construed as the group having money stolen from them. Just like when there are tax cuts, some people think that is stealing money that rightfully belongs to the government.

• Like 1

https://www.crainscleveland.com/sports-recreation/akron-childrens-opens-sports-health-center-zips

Akron Children's opens sports health center at University of Akron

Joe Scalzo

February 29th 2024

Akron Children’s Sports Health has a new place to fix the Zips’ hips — and anything else ailing the University of Akron’s 500 student-athletes, faculty, staff and students.

The comprehensive sports facility is located inside UA’s Stile Athletics Field House and is designed to help athletes age 12 and older dealing with orthopedic or sports injuries.

Three Akron Children’s physicians and two fellows will provide athlete medical clinics five days a week, while 10 athletic trainers will provide sideline coverage at practices and games and will work with athletes in the UA training room.

Disappointed I didn’t see UA in the news today. Notre Dame College in South Euclid is shutting down. They are partnering with 9 schools to help transition students. Cleveland State, Kent State, and various other universities listed, but not Akron.

Cost of attendance is approx. 30k for Ohio residents alone. Even just 200 students from there would give us 6million in annual revenue + all the other economic value a student brings to the campus area and potential future value. A student taking up one extra seat in a half empty classroom costs virtually nothing to the school. Straight profit.

When we’re like 50% of our peak enrollment, have well documented financial issues (that seem to be addressed somewhat thankfully), and competition is tough for students, I don’t understand why you wouldn’t pounce at every opportunity to better your situation.

• Like 2