Starting QB 2015

a-zip

Bowden from the gozips.com Q & A:

What are you looking for in a quarterback?

To me, I want to see the quarterback position evolve a little bit better to a clear, vocal leader. Not one that has quiet leadership skills, but I think that needs to come out a little bit more for all of our quarterbacks. That's one key thing we're looking for. But I've had some awfully good quarterbacks—because poise and laid back and calmness and those things are part of the position— but I do believe there is an element of vocal leadership that we need to get out of that position as well.

• Like 2

Bowden from the gozips.com Q & A: What are you looking for in a quarterback?

To me, I want to see the quarterback position evolve a little bit better to a clear, vocal leader. Not one that has quiet leadership skills, but I think that needs to come out a little bit more for all of our quarterbacks. That's one key thing we're looking for. But I've had some awfully good quarterbacks—because poise and laid back and calmness and those things are part of the position— but I do believe there is an element of vocal leadership that we need to get out of that position as well.

Interesting. His answer to this question seems to be ever-evolving. I guess it goes with the "We need to find a way to win at Akron" quote.

Interesting. His answer to this question seems to be ever-evolving. I guess it goes with the "We need to find a way to win at Akron" quote.

I think that's a good thing. Nothing I hate more than watching a coach trying to fit a square peg into a round hole by trying to adapt players to their system instead of vice versa.

I think that's a good thing. Nothing I hate more than watching a coach trying to fit a square peg into a round hole by trying to adapt players to their system instead of vice versa.

Even though your point has been stated on this site previously,its still good to point it out. And, it should not be happening at this point in Bowden's tenure. There are other holes on the offense. But,when the program hasn't figured out the QB situation at this point it is very discomforting. Its not like an All-MAC just graduated. This is not the year Bowden should be experimenting with a no experience QB. Its obvious he doesn't like Pohl. Where to now?

Even though your point has been stated on this site previously,its still good to point it out. And, it should not be happening at this point in Bowden's tenure. There are other holes on the offense. But,when the program hasn't figured out the QB situation at this point it is very discomforting. Its not like an All-MAC just graduated. This is not the year Bowden should be experimenting with a no experience QB. Its obvious he doesn't like Pohl. Where to now?

The Defending National Champions also haven't figured out their QB situation...so I'm not sure that's a strong argument. Don't take it as a personal attack though ;)

The Defending National Champions also haven't figured out their QB situation...so I'm not sure that's a strong argument. Don't take it as a personal attack though ;)

Really? How can you make a comparison like that? One team has 3 guys that can start at any BCS school in the country and won the title going away with their 3rd string guy. The other team is banking on a guy that didnt even put up decent stats at D2 Ashland. If Chapman doesn't pan out, Bowden once again looks like he was unable to recruit. He has done nothing in now his 4th year to improve the quarterback situation. It is a complete mess. Who is lined up if Chapman fails??

• Like 1

Really? How can you make a comparison like that? One team has 3 guys that can start at any BCS school in the country and won the title going away with their 3rd string guy. The other team is banking on a guy that didnt even put up decent stats at D2 Ashland. If Chapman doesn't pan out, Bowden once again looks like he was unable to recruit. He has done nothing in now his 4th year to improve the quarterback situation. It is a complete mess. Who is lined up if Chapman fails??

I can make that comparison because you implied that having a QB competition in a coach's fourth year is somehow a bad thing.

I disagree. He's brought in a number of QBs to this team to compete. I doubt Kincade would be transferring out if he were the best QB in the room. I doubt Kincade would be transfering if he was the second best QB in the room behind Pohl. The writing is on the wall.

I can make that comparison because you implied that having a QB competition in a coach's fourth year is somehow a bad thing.

I disagree. He's brought in a number of QBs to this team to compete. I doubt Kincade would be transferring out if he were the best QB in the room. I doubt Kincade would be transfering if he was the second best QB in the room behind Pohl. The writing is on the wall.

It is a bad thing when you have no for sure options. Please tell me how urban Mayer loses sleep if one or two of his starts go down. He showed that his 3rd stringer is good enough to win a national championship. Bowden loses sleep thinking of his starter. To be in this situation in his 4th year isn't a good thing. You can't even remotely compare the 2 situations. Basically, we are in the same QB situation as the Cleveland Browns right now. You are comparing it to a team that has Tom Brady, Peyton Manning and Aaron Rodgers on the roster. Not the same!!

http://www.ohio.com/sports/zips/kyle-pohl-tra-von-chapman-ready-for-zips-quarterback-competition-1.576335?localLinksEnabled=false&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

GT seems to agree with us that it looks like Chapman is the frontrunner right now. It's interesting that leadership style is continually brought up. I'm starting to wonder if the other players had more of a problem with Pohl than I realized.

It is a bad thing when you have no for sure options. Please tell me how urban Mayer loses sleep if one or two of his starts go down. He showed that his 3rd stringer is good enough to win a national championship. Bowden loses sleep thinking of his starter. To be in this situation in his 4th year isn't a good thing. You can't even remotely compare the 2 situations. Basically, we are in the same QB situation as the Cleveland Browns right now. You are comparing it to a team that has Tom Brady, Peyton Manning and Aaron Rodgers on the roster. Not the same!!

Urban didn't know each of his QBs was equally the same, he said as much. Perhaps I'd agree with you that Urban knows what he has in each, he recruited 2/3 of them right?

Bowden knew he didn't have the guy he wanted, which is why he's brought in Hoyer, Wood and Chapman. Pohl isn't his guy. Never was. Everyone here pretty much agrees DW13 was fantastic. If Bowden got it right with him, why should we doubt Bowden's prowess to bring in another guy? Even Woodson (a Bowden guy) showed more promise IMO than Pohl ever did. Hirschman was a pretty decent grab too, who looked good in his limited action here. Why would we doubt Bowden's ability to get a guy?

Though I'll gladly eat my words if this season tanks because of the QB like it did last year.

I think we don't have much of a clue beyond the fact that it appears as though a very athletic Tra'von Chapman is the likely starter. If I am correct, he never took the field for Pitt and had one year at Ashland, which would give him 3 years left to play for us.

Based on his 2013 performance, It makes sense that Bowden had hopes that Pohl would be the field leader that the team needed him to be and that his experience and maturity would translate to more wins. In big games, at times, Pohl has looked like he was coming into his own (Michigan, even Penn state.) I think the insertion of Tommy Woodson into the equation last year was a tip of the hat that not only was Pohl not delivering what Bowden wanted but perhaps, even that we might be moving towards a different model, where the QB is more of a dual threat. Pohl's stats were only a little better than Woodson's. Both had one more TD than interceptions and Pohl;s completion rate was 54% and Woodson's 53%. Overall, per GT's articles we were 49% in the red zone last year.

At the end of last season, Bowden talked about getting the ball into the end-zone and needing to look at every component of the game. It's clear they have done that and it is likely why Chandler Kincaide is looking for a new home. I think this happens pretty often with QBs and it is not necessarily a sign of anything good or bad about the program. It just happens.

RE: Matthew Hoyer. I don't think he has ever been a contender for the starting job. If this article is accurate (articles often get these things wrong) he asked Bowden for a chance to walk on, not so much a case of Bowden recruiting him.

This article, spotted Coach Bowden at an OSU practice recently. Why was he there? Is he shopping for more QB competition? Interviewing assistant coaches?

I went back and looked at the 2013 Ashland Eagles season. It has been mentioned that Tra'Von was not impressive there and I wanted to look closer. Ashland started out 1-3 when they made the change and inserted Chapman into the starting lineup. From there they finished out 4-2 to even their record at 5-5.

Hard to compare numbers because of the small sample size and because Ashland ran the legs off Anthony Taylor who averaged 28 carries a game. (By contrast Jawon Chisholm averaged a little over 10 carries a game in the 11 games he played in 2014)

Chapman finished 2013 going 90 for 173; 1154 yards; 9 TDs; 3 INTs. The most attempts taken as the starter was 31. The least? 13. Compare that with Pohl last year: Fewest attempts: 29 @ Pitt & Buffalo. Most? 62 vs. BG.

Chapman surely did not set the world on fire at Ashland in 2013 that's for sure but I am not sure how much the Eagles offense would set up any QB to put up gaudy numbers. Tra'Von also did not have the benefit of a lot experience with the Ashland scheme since he didn't start practicing with the team until September 11.

Not sure my inquiry turned up any information to give us much more of a clue as to what we are getting with Mr. Chapman. Here's the link if you want to take a gander yourself: http://goashlandeagles.com/sports/fball/2013-14/players/travonchapmanvw9s?view=gamelog&pos=qb

• Like 1

You'd figure Lee Owens would be smart enough to play/fully utilize the most talented player on his team.

Maybe, maybe not. Hard to say unless you followed the team. Maybe the o-line stunk, maybe the whole offense stunk, maybe Chapman was just OK.

Per GT, it looks like he showed potential last year at Akron, however:

Since his arrival and during the course of last season, murmurings could be heard as to how well Chapman — a genuine dual-threat at the position — ran scout teams in Zips practices. Chapman’s play there is part of the reason there’s a legitimate competition underway this spring.

Considering he was up against our defense, I find that encouraging.