2017-2018

UAZip0510

30 minutes ago, lilroodude said:

Antino is receiving offers from LSU and NMSU, yet Dambrot had him as our borderline 6th man, and we didn't win the MAC Tourney. Does something seem wrong to anybody else? 

I agree... This doesn't bode well for Dambrot and staff. Been beating a dead horse with the staff and its rep, coming to forwishen. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, lilroodude said:

Antino is receiving offers from LSU and NMSU, yet Dambrot had him as our borderline 6th man, and we didn't win the MAC Tourney. Does something seem wrong to anybody else? 

When do these transferring decisions need to be made by? 

+1.  'Tino should have been the #1 PG playing 30 minutes per game last year.  

• Like 1

I disagree that KD misused Antino or that he is a better player because he is receiving offers from other schools.  First, I really think that it is in Antino's best interest to stay with the program.  Akron has found a solid coach, one who has coached in the Big Ten, and a coach who has had success taking a MAC team for a run in the NCAA tournament.  If Antino's goal is to play in Europe, he would be postponing a paycheck for a year if he transfers with no guarantee of improving his status as a player.  His 3 point shooting improved this year to 40% but he still averaged 11 points per game, the same as last year.  He has been a solid player for Akron and I have enjoyed watching him play the last 3 years but if he believes there is greener pasture somewhere else he has the right to leave.  I would rather recruit a frosh that wants to play basketball for Akron than somebody who does not want to be here.  Akron has done what it had to do.  Now Antino and the rest of the players have to make a decision on what they want to do so the program can move on.

I am happy that both Noah and Antino will received their degrees in 3 years.  They seemed like really bright students when I heard them on the radio.  However, it seems a little one sided that Akron holds a scholarship open for him and is prevented from recruiting another player while they shop around to transfer to another school.  I hope they make up their minds quickly or Akron gives them a time period to make their decision. 

10 minutes ago, 1981 grad said:

I am happy that both Noah and Antino will received their degrees in 3 years.  They seemed like really bright students when I heard them on the radio.  However, it seems a little one sided that Akron holds a scholarship open for him and is prevented from recruiting another player while they shop around to transfer to another school.  I hope they make up their minds quickly or Akron gives them a time period to make their decision. 

Not one sided at all. Dambrot, the coach that recruited them to Akron, bolted for Duquesne just a week or two ago. 

15 minutes ago, dirtyolcrowe said:

Well the coach from NM St.  Just accepted the gig to coach the Univ. of New Mexico.  Maybe this could sway Antino to stay at Akron.

Got to feel like LSU is the clear front runner here. Even though I would hope we are thought of more highly than a bottom of the barrel SEC team.

Edited by LZIp

7 minutes ago, skip-zip said:

Not happy with the current situation in Akron, and a chance to play in the SEC for your last year?  That would be a hard one to pass up, I would think.  

I could pass up getting my @ss whipped for a full season in the SEC. LSU is pathetic.

With Noah leaving (allegedly), the Zips are Antino's best option. He can be the starting PG for a full season. Groce's aggressive style fits Antino's strengths. 

11 minutes ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

I could pass up getting my @ss whipped for a full season in the SEC. LSU is pathetic.

With Noah leaving (allegedly), the Zips are Antino's best option. He can be the starting PG for a full season. Groce's aggressive style fits Antino's strengths. 

Best option for what?  I tried to state what I was saying purely on the surface, since we don't know what he wants.  The opportunity to play in that league, and in those arenas for one year to close out your career seems pretty enticing offer for an Akron grad transfer.  But I agree that his max playing opportunity would probably be here with the exodus of Guards.  Again, we don't know what he's thinking.  But I think we can surmise that his "thank you letter" was probably a pretty clear indication that he already has both feet pointed out the door.  

26 minutes ago, Blue & Gold said:

The University of Akron.

When you are looking for a job, the name of the school on the sheepskin matters.

LSU is better known than Akron. Princeton, Harvard, tOSU, all better in the job market.

Robert Morris, not so much.

Maybe some of you guys never got out of NEO, but in the rest of the world UA is pretty unknown.

51 minutes ago, zippy5 said:

LSU isn't too far from Houston

I guess that's another possible factor.  I didn't realize that they two cities are only about 4 hours apart.

On the other hand, would he have come to Akron if distance was an issue?  However, a lot can change after a long 3 years and 3 basketball seasons in the Midwest for a kid who might have been looking to just "get away" when he was 17 yrs. old, and was originally making that decision.  

I know a guy who skipped his Sr. year as a key player at Wichita State, just because he was homesick and left his girlfriend back here.  You just never know what's going through their heads.