Zips at Houston — NIT Round 1

Dr Z

14 minutes ago, akronzips71 said:

This appears to be incorrect, unless there is some reason the UT arena is not available on Monday

If you click on his tweet you'll see he said UT-Arl arena is under renovation. The TV broadcasters however said winner of BYU-UTA hosts Akron. We'll find out whose right if this score holds.

Edited by kreed5120

10 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

If you click on his tweet you'll see he said UT-Arl arena is under renovation. The TV broadcasters however said winner of BYU-UTA hosts Akron. We'll find out whose right if this score holds.

That is why I said it. Because they said it TV. They may play someplace else during the renovation, for sure they did not just start the construction on Sat after the conference championship.

UT Arlington section @ BYU chanting "we want Akron" at the end of their game. Be careful what you wish for, because you just might get it.

I desperately want to hang an NIT Champions banner from the rafters at the JAR. 

Stoked on our win, lets keep it going! We are every bit as good of a team as the other 15 left. We just have to want it more.

5 hours ago, ZippyforPresident said:

UT Arlington section @ BYU chanting "we want Akron" at the end of their game. Be careful what you wish for, because you just might get it.

I desperately want to hang an NIT Champions banner from the rafters at the JAR. 

Whoa there Zippy.  Like I said yesterday, it seems that we're all pretty equal in our bracket at this point.  But we'll still have 2 road games and 2 MSG games.  Long way to go.

I think the spread between games is a real blessing for us.  Especially for the Big Dog.  Shouldn't have any fatigue problems now.  Gosh, what a difference in energy between last year's NIT game and this year.  HUGE difference between playing on Wednesday this year, and Tuesday last year.  

At first I didn't give a hoot about us being in the NIT, but after giving it some thought, I think us playing in Texas against Houston is a big plus for our program. We get some free press coverage from an area where we are  heavily recruiting.  Winning the game is YUGE!  We really need a few tournament wins. In any tournament!!!!!!!!!! Let's get another W!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, tboned said:

At first I didn't give a hoot about us being in the NIT, but after giving it some thought, I think us playing in Texas against Houston is a big plus for our program. We get some free press coverage from an area where we are  heavily recruiting.  Winning the game is YUGE!  We really need a few tournament wins. In any tournament!!!!!!!!!! Let's get another W!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

This is a good point. Besides the fact that it was nice for our H-Town players to get a win in their hometown, what a better way to help recruiting than to beat the hometown team in their backyard?

37 minutes ago, tboned said:

Winning the game is YUGE!  We really need a few tournament wins. In any tournament!!!!!!!!!! 

Winning ANY games against ANY prominent basketball program is what we need.  NIT, NCAA, Regular Season or Holiday Tournament.  It doesn't matter.  We just need to beat some people.  

Our side of the bracket is looking so sweet right now.  The 2nd round games are #6 vs. #7 and #4 vs. #8.   And still a chance that we can get a 3rd round home game??  That would be incredible.  Does anyone know yet if #8 Cal Bakersfield will play their game before us on Monday?  Wow.  If they pull off another upset, that would sure light a fire under our a$$es to win and get the home game.  

Edited by skip-zip

18 minutes ago, NWAkron said:

The elimination on the one and bonus help the team with free throws?

Quite likely. I certainly didn't see any 'hack-a-dog' last night.

However, I think our style of play, being more aggressive to the hoop, was the more dominant factor.

23 minutes ago, skip-zip said:

That would be incredible.  Does anyone know yet if #8 Cal Bakersfield will play their game before us on Monday?  Wow.  If they pull off another upset, that would sure light a fire under our a$$es to win and get the home game.  

No, they play at 11pm EST.  So after our victory we will need to shower and get on a plane and watch the ending to see if we start heading Northeast or Northwest.

3 minutes ago, zippyfan34 said:

No, they play at 11pm EST.  So after our victory we will need to shower and get on a plane and watch the ending to see if we start heading Northeast or Northwest.

Damn.  I wish we would know the result of that game before we played.  I thought that was probably unlikely with that game being played out West.

Now I wonder if that's possible to start flying, and change our flight plan mid-flight?  I'd think we might just stay in Texas until Tuesday morning and fly one direction or the other.   

Edited by skip-zip
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, NWAkron said:

The elimination on the one and bonus help the team with free throws?

I think it did.  I don't know if there is a stat but it seems that because of our poor foul shooting that we miss the first shot on the one on one and it turns into a wasted possession at the end of the game.  Great rule for us! 

24 minutes ago, NWAkron said:

Some love from the Kittens.  Doubt we will be as generous towards Ravenna State.

http://www.bobcatattack.com/messageboard/topic.asp?FromPage=1&ForumPID=1&PID=232198

I may be in the minority, but I will NEVER understanding supporting a rival. I don't like how sports have become so buddy-buddy. I nearly throw up listening to LeBron talk about how the Warriors are a rival and such. I just want someone to turn into Jackie Moon and yell, "SOMEBODY HIT SOMEBODY!"

Me personally, I wish nothing but losses for Can't, OU, Miami, and Buffalo. That being said, I do respect OU and Buffalo for turning down the CBI/CIT/Vegas tournaments. Not sure how any school can justify spending the money on those meaningless tournaments anymore. 

Edited by lilroodude
  • Like 2