Zips at Houston — NIT Round 1

Dr Z

1 hour ago, LZIp said:

+1. I think it was mentioned on here before, but Illinois State concedes that they did not make the tournament because of their schedule and made an open plea on twitter for teams to schedule them. Ole Miss reached out right away. We should too. Seems like it would be mutually beneficial for both programs.

I would not send my HC to any conventions if his networking ability failed to produce any quality relationships that translated into games 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, UAZippers said:

I know. I already mentioned it pretty clearly.

Do you recall why we declined? Because we were injured and couldn't field a competitive team. We didn't decline, as the uninformed may believe, because we didn't want to spend money. Or that we had a full complement of players and simply didn't want to compete.

2 hours ago, LZIp said:

+1. I think it was mentioned on here before, but Illinois State concedes that they did not make the tournament because of their schedule and made an open plea on twitter for teams to schedule them. Ole Miss reached out right away. We should too. Seems like it would be mutually beneficial for both programs.

That's the way to get something like that done-  a Twitter post.  If that fails, they should give Craigslist a shot.

7 hours ago, skip-zip said:

By the way, Kudos to the old gray-haired lady in the first row at Houston who was on her feet the entire 2nd half waving to everyone to stand up.  We could use a few of those at our home games.  

Was that the lady in the red sweater?  She was on her feet a lot during the game.  Too bad no one else in the crowd was into it enough to stand up and cheer.

Edited by zipsrule

1 hour ago, zipsrule said:

Was that the lady in the red sweater?  She was on her feet a lot during the game.  Too bad no one else in the crowd was into it enough to stand up and cheer.

Yep, she was into it.  You couldn't help but to notice her in every camera shot when we came down to that end of the floor.  Credit for the effort to get the capacity 1,000 crowd into the game.  That's a tough job.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, zipsrule said:

Believe it or not, the cameras did not show everything that happened in the stands. The Zips fans were very much into the game. I would guess that we stood for the entire last 4 minutes of the game. All the parents and friends of the kids from the Houston area were very vocal and supportive.

• Like 2

One of my favorite points in the telecast was about two minutes in.  Antino had just missed deeeeep 3-point shot early in the shot clock & the announcer said, "I just looked over at Keith Dambrot to see if he thought that was a bad shot... HE DIDN'T! Apparently Antino's got the green light like that."  :lol: :rock:

1 hour ago, Blue & Gold said:

One of my favorite points in the telecast was about two minutes in.  Antino had just missed deeeeep 3-point shot early in the shot clock & the announcer said, "I just looked over at Keith Dambrot to see if he thought that was a bad shot... HE DIDN'T! Apparently Antino's got the green light like that."  :lol: :rock:

I remember that.  

9 hours ago, Hilltopper said:

Believe it or not, the cameras did not show everything that happened in the stands. The Zips fans were very much into the game. I would guess that we stood for the entire last 4 minutes of the game. All the parents and friends of the kids from the Houston area were very vocal and supportive.

In what part of the arena did they put you?

16 hours ago, clarkwgriswold said:

That's the way to get something like that done-  a Twitter post.  If that fails, they should give Craigslist a shot.

Well it appears to have worked Mr. Snark. I'm assuming they used rotary phones to communicate back in your day.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, LZIp said:

Well it appears to have worked Mr. Snark.

Agreed.

Why haven't the Zips responded to Illinois State's request for a quality home-home opponent? We aren't P5, but we certainly are no worse a loss than Ole Miss on a resume.And a better "win" than most  on their MVC schedule.

We want a quality home game? Something to replace a Bracket Buster game? Here it is. And it would be some great press too. Even if the Red Birds turned us down, they'd look bad and not the Zips.

• Like 4

23 hours ago, lilroodude said:

I may be in the minority, but I will NEVER understanding supporting a rival. I don't like how sports have become so buddy-buddy. I nearly throw up listening to LeBron talk about how the Warriors are a rival and such. I just want someone to turn into Jackie Moon and yell, "SOMEBODY HIT SOMEBODY!"

Me personally, I wish nothing but losses for Can't, OU, Miami, and Buffalo. That being said, I do respect OU and Buffalo for turning down the CBI/CIT/Vegas tournaments. Not sure how any school can justify spending the money on those meaningless tournaments anymore. 

I'd be right there with you on the cheering habits if we played in a power conference. In those logically speaking you should probably want things not to go too well for your conference teams. In those power leagues if you do well you will reap rewards no matter the level of your conference rivals but you don't want them too good or it can hurt your own recruiting. For a mid-major, especially a perennial one bid but yet still truly mid- and not low-major, I think others in your conference doing well out of conference or making postseason runs is needed just to provide more validation to your own success when you have it.

I generally will cheer for an Ohio, Buffalo, Miami, WMU, etc... when they make the Big Dance even if I am pained that it is not the Zips. I did, however, purposely leave a certain team that represents the MAC in the NCAA this year off of that list. An arch rival is an arch rival and we certainly don't need them getting more of a recruiting boost in our local area.

16 minutes ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

Agreed.

Why haven't the Zips responded to Illinois State's request for a quality home-home opponent? We aren't P5, but we certainly are no worse a loss than Ole Miss on a resume.And a better "win" than most  on their MVC schedule.

We want a quality home game? Something to replace a Bracket Buster game? Here it is. And it would be some great press too. Even if the Red Birds turned us down, they'd look bad and not the Zips.

Agreed! I posted somewhere on here KD should have been on the phone with them the minute that was posted. There are a lot of upper level mid majors that are in the same position who could use the games.

4 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said:

I'm jealous of where that program has gone since they were at the JAR.  They were plenty solid then and very similar to UA quality-wise, but they've built on that to where they are now (a step above the Zips).

Their OOC schedule this year included

Toledo

UNCW

Evansville

@ Ole Miss

Vandy 

@ Belmont

@ VCU

Georgia State

That would be awesome

15 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said:

I'm jealous of where that program has gone since they were at the JAR.  They were plenty solid then and very similar to UA quality-wise, but they've built on that to where they are now (a step above the Zips).

And look at what they did to Minnesota yesterday. They are at where we'd like to be. Even if some of the above named opponents wouldn't get Joe Akron excited (sorry to impugn you Joe :-)) they would definitely help in the eyes of the committee. Although after reading how the mid-majors get screwed over regardless I think you'd have to have a schedule like that and still win 80% of them to even be considered.  

Edited by MDZip
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, LZIp said:

Well it appears to have worked Mr. Snark. I'm assuming they used rotary phones to communicate back in your day.

Maybe we could have Terry Bowden yodel out a request and see if that works.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, zippy5 said:

Their OOC schedule this year included

Toledo

UNCW

Evansville

@ Ole Miss

Vandy 

@ Belmont

@ VCU

Georgia State

That would be awesome

Even with that OOC schedule it was pretty evident given their 12 seed that they wouldn't have made the tournament had they not won their conference tournament. Kind of shows the uphill battle facing the Zips and other mid-majors.

• Like 1