John Groce Officially Hired

Dr Z

John Groce as the head coach at Akron  

88 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of John Groce?

This poll is closed to new votes

23 minutes ago, Dr Z said:

Mine is the sweet sixteen, and it is realistic. I watched Kent State do it. I'm not disagreeing with you. Only trying to support your point. 

That's why I asked the question. We may have different opinions on our ultimate goal, but that's okay. I was just curious what everyone's thoughts were when it came to that. As a coach, I always look at the highest level possible. As a fan, I do think Sweet Sixteen is very realistic for us. My follow up would be this though: Would that still be your goal even after we make it to the Sweet Sixteen?

12 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

Everyone wants more or at least I hope they do. It's why I said Dambrot's lack of a tourney win is a black mark. Keith Dambrot ended up with the best winning % of all-time in the MAC tournament. He put us in a position to have a chance pretty much every season. It's easy to cherry pick a stat to fit your narrative, but his real record in the MACT was 27-10 (.723). I'm sorry that's a damn good win %. 

How many of those MAC tournaments did we have the better talent? And how many of those times did we have better talent and lost? Like you said, it's easy to cherry pick a stat to fit your narrative.

Edited by mes102

19 minutes ago, Dr Z said:

Mine is the sweet sixteen, and it is realistic. I watched Kent State do it. I'm not disagreeing with you. Only trying to support your point. 

Mine has always been Final Four (and if you get that far, you might as well think national championship).

VCU and George Mason have recently done it out of the Colonial, Wichita State has done it out of the MVC and Butler did it twice out of the Horizon, so it's not an impossible dream (won't include Gonzaga this year because that is a different program than the others were). 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

Yes, and there were about 60 of them left over. 

They were delicious, as advertised! Brought one home for the kid. Loved it.

Yes!  I'm out of likes or I would have given you one for the cookie.

I think there are some very incorrect assumptions being made on here as to the desires of some of the posters.  Just because a poster values the success of the KD era, or realizes that the success of a coach may result in him moving on, does NOT mean they have any lesser passion or desire to see the Zips win or go deep into an NCAA tournament.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, mes102 said:

How many of those MAC tournaments did we have the better talent? And how many of those times did we have better talent and lost? Like you said, it's easy to cherry pick a stat to fit your narrative.

What you are asking for is subjective and irrelevant as it is a coaches job to recruit. You tried stating his black mark was his lack of MACT success. His 27-10 MACT record and 3 MACT titles suggests otherwise. Those aren't cherry picked numbers. That's a measurement of the entire sample size.

I talked to one of those zn.o members that CK was catching up with last night on the telephone today.  Very interesting conversation.  He assured me we are in good hands with JG.  Listening to what he said, I believe him.  Everyone should be thankful we got this guy.  

Now I am even more extra super bummed out that I couldn't make the event last night. :(

Edited by K92
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, dre22era said:

As an Alum I am in this to make Akron Athletics the Best Goddamn Sports Department in the Nation! 
Im sorry but "always inferior" my ass. 
"we don't have their resources i.e. money" - Thats not in Stone. We can change that. #Believe 

I'm an alum too and I applaud your passion. We want the same things for UA. We don't have the resources of a P5 school or a no DI football school and that is unquestioned. Resources can be built over time if you get in the right conference. Case in point, every member in the Big Ten this year will get $37 million from the Big Ten TV package. As a member of the MAC we will get $1.7 M. I agree our situation is not etched in stone, but it only improves incrementally as each coach puts his mark on the progrum, improves it and probably moves on. I don't want him to but that what happens in the MAC. I'm sure you know better and have a solution, so know that you have my complete support as you move the Zips to a higher level. I do not want to attack you. If you took it personally I apologize. I just couldn't pass on calling out your perceptions. Go Zips!

351 teams played D-I hoops last year.

Half of those teams do no more than allow leagues to have 10+ teams -- Columbia, Idaho, Gardner-Webb, Radford, etc.

Of those in the top 175, 10-15 are blue bloods who are at or near the tops of their respective Power 5 conferences (Duke, KU, UK, UNC, Louisville, Arizona, Wisconsin, etc.), then 25-30 basketball powers who often show up in the Top 25 (Florida, Michigan, Xavier, Villanova, Butler, Iowa St., Creighton, etc.), then 25-30 programs which make the occasional foray into the upper echelons (Clemson, Ga. Tech, Alabama, Tennessee, Utah, USC, Baylor, etc.).

Setting aside Gonzaga, which chose to spend like a blue blood and now has entered those ranks, the best mid-major schools fit into that second tier.  Very few are in the third tier because, unfortunately, if they don't maintain the excellence necessary to stay near the top, they tend to fall past the third tier and back into the ranks of the mediocre (VCU? SDSU? Davidson?).

If my math is right, 100-115 teams in that great middle:  respectable, top half of their respective conferences, occasionally catching a little lightning in a bottle to jump into the top 50 for a year or two with the right coach and recruiting class.  Think Cal, Belmont, Nevada, Colorado State, Missouri St., Iona, Princeton, Oakland, UNC WIlmington, Iowa, Seton Hall, etc.

The Zips are in that group -- usually within the top 100 but rarely within the top 75.  This means that they're better than ~200 schools, about equal with ~75, and significantly below another 75.

The MAC has slipped so much in the past decade that, for Akron to achieve consistent NCAA tournament bids and wins, it must absolutely dominate the conference ... I mean like Louisville in the Metro during the late 70s/early 80s, Houston in the SWC in the early 80s, Butler in the Horizon, and Gonzaga in the WCC for the past 25 years.

A 0.723 tournament winning percentage in a Power 5 conference is something to write home about.  The same percentage in the MAC means you're the tallest dwarf ... you beat the other dwarfs almost 3 out of 4 times.  It doesn't mean that you are prepared to compete with the big boys.

What I want to see is a team that's ready to jump from Top 100 to Top 50, regardless of whether the rest of its league makes overall improvement.  Can that be done at a school that tries to play football at a (nominally) high level?  I don't know.  Maybe Akron can be the first ...

What I want to see is a team that's ready to jump from Top 100 to Top 50, regardless of whether the rest of its league makes overall improvement.  Can that be done at a school that tries to play football at a (nominally) high level?  I don't know.  Maybe Akron can be the first ...

MTSU may have figured it out.

1 hour ago, K92 said:

Yes!  I'm out of likes or I would have given you one for the cookie.

A damn sugar cookie with cake icing on it.  Don't ask me why, but those have become the most popular desert item requested in the Suites over the last few years, even with plenty of more delectable selections available.  I will even venture into other suites to "borrow" any leftovers if the supply runs out.  I think that might be breaking a cardinal rule of honor as a Zips fan, but I can't help myself. 

The University should try to mass market those damn things.  Maybe we just found something that we can get Acme involved in again. 

Edited by skip-zip

35 minutes ago, odhgibo said:

One thing that is for certain is to have any chance of reaching that level and sustaining it we need to be better funded. Right now we have the 123 highest basketball budget, which is middle of the road. More people need to start buying tickets and actually showing up. The JAR isn't the greatest, but it's all we have for now.

Edited by kreed5120

1 hour ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

I don't think any incumbent player that wants to stay with the team is not welcome to stay.

I'm only referring to the kids who've expressed an interest in transferring, or graduating early. Groce is giving them, and their families, time take a step back and assess the situation before making a final decision. 

I'm pretty sure we don't have any players in the position of graduating early.

Edited by Hilltopper

5 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

One thing that is for certain is to have any chance of reaching that level and sustaining it we need to be better funded. Right now we have 123 highest basketball budget, which is middle of the road. More people need to start buying tickets and actually showing up. The JAR isn't the greatest, but it's all we have for now.

The sad truth is that without suites or club seats packing the JAR really won't bring a ton of extra revenue

7 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

One thing that is for certain is to have any chance of reaching that level and sustaining it we need to be better funded. Right now we have 123 highest basketball budget, which is middle of the road. More people need to start buying tickets and actually showing up. The JAR isn't the greatest, but it's all we have for now.

Woah, woah, who's talking about sustaining that level? Wasn't everyone in this thread just saying that they'd be OK with losing more games if it meant a tournament run? You don't sustain a high level by losing more games in order to luck into a tournament win or two once in a while.

37 minutes ago, odhgibo said:

A 0.723 tournament winning percentage in a Power 5 conference is something to write home about.  The same percentage in the MAC means you're the tallest dwarf ... you beat the other dwarfs almost 3 out of 4 times. 

What I want to see is a team that's ready to jump from Top 100 to Top 50

Regardless of how much anyone values the first part, we all want the 2nd part.  So, I don't understand why there's still posters who want to discredit anyone who finds more value than themselves in what we've been able to accomplish over the last 13 years.  As I said earlier, anyone in this league would love to have our 3 tournament titles (the most) and our 9 title game appearances (the most) and our outright league titles (the most).

33 minutes ago, skip-zip said:

A damn sugar cookie with cake icing on it.  Don't ask me why, but those have become the most popular desert item requested in the Suites over the last few years, even with plenty of more delectable selections available.  I will even venture into other suites to "borrow" any leftovers if the supply runs out.  I think that might be breaking a cardinal rule of honor as a Zips fan, but I can't help myself. 

The University should try to mass market those damn things.  Maybe we just found something that we can get Acme involved in again. 

You just made my day with this post.  Again, out of likes.

22 minutes ago, ZachTheZip said:

Woah, woah, who's talking about sustaining that level? Wasn't everyone in this thread just saying that they'd be OK with losing more games if it meant a tournament run? You don't sustain a high level by losing more games in order to luck into a tournament win or two once in a while.

That depends on who you are playing/beating.

I think the overall point of people saying "losing more games" is they would rather play tougher competition even if it means they don't hit that "21" magic number, but it has them more prepared for March.

Plus, the college basketball works (where strength of schedule is the biggest determining factor in rankings), you can actually win 18-19 games and be ranked significantly higher than a team who won 26 ... just look to about any 18 win high major this year (say Illinois) as proof. Of course, those schools have the advantage of playing 10-plus games against other top 50-100 types in league play. I'm not advocating playing 10 in the OOC portion, but the Zips should try to get 4-5 of those ... then hope the MAC can produce 1-2 more.

Edited by wadszip
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, ZachTheZip said:

Oh please. He was dead to you while he was still here. I can't recall any you ever posting a single positive thing about Zips athletics or ever celebrating any accomplishments in any sport since you started posting. It's just bitching about the programs, the coaches, the fans, the players, the posters here, the administration, and everything else non-stop for a freaking decade.

oh no... is zachy boy all butt-hurt at some of my posts?

I will bring some Kleenex, a box of diapers and a big binkie for you to the spring game. Will that make things better?

15 minutes ago, mes102 said:

While Groce "only" got a B- ... I'm guessing the only reason Akron was on this list of "marquee" (that's a line in the article ... from USA Today) was because of Groce. The only other non high majors acknowledged were A-10 schools Dayton/UMass/VCU. That alone makes the hire an A+ .... Also, interesting Duquesne and KD absent from this article.

• Like 1