Transfer Portal

John Ward

Good for him. That's a higher level program than I thought he would reach. That will be a nice place for him to send his final year of eligibility. I wish him well. BTW< i'm looking forward to seeing the LB's we have coming in coupled with our returners and redshirts.

I believe in JoeMo.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LZIp said:

They have a couple of their better players in the transfer portal now.

Yep, we probably saw the peak of the program under Loeffler. I believe I saw Brooks declared for the draft. Losing Brooks, Anderson, Anders, and Brown from that defense is going to sting.

39 minutes ago, catdaddyp said:

Yep, we probably saw the peak of the program under Loeffler. I believe I saw Brooks declared for the draft. Losing Brooks, Anderson, Anders, and Brown from that defense is going to sting.

And there is no way they can reduce the sting by replacing those four guys with 4 of the few guys in the portal.

Edited by Zipmeister
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Zipmeister said:

And there is no way they can reduce the sting by replacing those four guys with 4 of the few guys in the portal.

Maybe. I haven’t been impressed with their recruiting, so I’m doubtful they are replaced with the same caliber players.

Edited by catdaddyp

24 minutes ago, Blue &amp; Gold said:

Coach Loeffler posted another tweet yesterday after what seems like a notably high number of key departures.

Sounds like he’s feeling the pressure. He has a few players in this year’s class that I’d like to have, but overall I believe our staff has a better eye for talent.

34 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

I actually didn't think BG was good this year to begin with. They just did enough to capitalize on a very weak MAC this year. Most other years they would have probably been a 4 win team given their level of talent.

They weren't. Much like the 2017 Zips, they benefitted from some fluky results. They had a negative point differential in MAC play. They lost a pair of MAC home games by 30+ (Akron had 0 MAC losses of 30+ this year). Their postgame win expectancy vs. Marshall was like 14%. They squeaked by Akron with the help of a pick-six and Bobby Golden's punt return blunder. And if Toledo was simply *bad* at tackling, they would have lost that one too. Good on them like those 2017 Zips for winning the games, but the final results speak for themselves. A losing record, blowout losses, a loss to a 6-6 G5 team in the bowl. For UA, it was 2 butt-kickings by Toledo and Lane Kiffin naming the score in Boca.

Scot Loeffler won himself a lame-duck year by reaching 6-6. Now with this mass exodus, it seems the writing is on the wall, barring a miraculous portal recruiting season. I encourage anyone curious on the situation to go read the BG board, Ay-Ziggy-Zoomba. It's nearly consensus that SL needs to go, but at the same time they realize they're stuck with him for '23 at this point. Really a terrible situation all around. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

I actually didn't think BG was good this year to begin with. They just did enough to capitalize on a very weak MAC this year. Most other years they would have probably been a 4 win team given their level of talent.

Why are people on this board continually ragging on the MAC?  I'm not saying that we should of had a team in the CFP, but in our bowl games against similar conferances, the MAC did pretty good.  What conferance has the best W/L bowl record?

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Ham said:

Why are people on this board continually ragging on the MAC?

Habit. 

You are correct. The MAC had a good season this year. Now they need to combine good football with playing games on days and at times that are attractive to people.

19 minutes ago, LoyalZIP said:

They weren't. Much like the 2017 Zips, they benefitted from some fluky results. They had a negative point differential in MAC play. They lost a pair of MAC home games by 30+ (Akron had 0 MAC losses of 30+ this year). Their postgame win expectancy vs. Marshall was like 14%. They squeaked by Akron with the help of a pick-six and Bobby Golden's punt return blunder. And if Toledo was simply *bad* at tackling, they would have lost that one too. Good on them like those 2017 Zips for winning the games, but the final results speak for themselves. A losing record, blowout losses, a loss to a 6-6 G5 team in the bowl. For UA, it was 2 butt-kickings by Toledo and Lane Kiffin naming the score in Boca.

Scot Loeffler won himself a lame-duck year by reaching 6-6. Now with this mass exodus, it seems the writing is on the wall, barring a miraculous portal recruiting season. I encourage anyone curious on the situation to go read the BG board, Ay-Ziggy-Zoomba. It's nearly consensus that SL needs to go, but at the same time they realize they're stuck with him for '23 at this point. Really a terrible situation all around. 

It’s too bad we didn’t play BG later in the season when much of the tackling was cleaned up. I know we still have a few areas to be addressed through recruiting, but I expect next season’s outcome to be different.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Ham said:

Why are people on this board continually ragging on the MAC?  I'm not saying that we should of had a team in the CFP, but in our bowl games against similar conferances, the MAC did pretty good.  What conferance has the best W/L bowl record?

Not sure, but I really enjoyed the MAC bowl games. I used to pick bowl games at high percentage rate. Not anymore. The portal (and draft opt outs) has made many P5 teams into either a shell of themselves or different versions of what they were in the regular season.

Edited by catdaddyp

2 hours ago, Ham said:

You're completely disregarding the 4 OOC games that each team played, which the MAC performed extremely poorly. This included multiple losses to FCS schools. The 48 OOC regular season games is a much larger sample size than the 6 bowl games. 

I'm not ragging on the MAC to just rag on the MAC. I'm doing it because it was objectively a down year for the MAC. Hopefully this years bowl performance is a sign the conference will be improved next year.

Edited by kreed5120
  • Like 1

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaafb/six-players-from-hyped-2022-recruiting-class-among-those-fleeing-texas-a-m/ar-AA15WcqD?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=4d33031f94bd493498e252a155cf4ed8

I saw this article on line, and I found it astonishing that 27 players are transferring out of the Texas A&M program.  Fisher must have some serious issues.  I know it is a long shot, but can the Zips tap into some of these players.

12 minutes ago, bigjim said:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaafb/six-players-from-hyped-2022-recruiting-class-among-those-fleeing-texas-a-m/ar-AA15WcqD?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=4d33031f94bd493498e252a155cf4ed8

I saw this article on line, and I found it astonishing that 27 players are transferring out of the Texas A&M program.  Fisher must have some serious issues.  I know it is a long shot, but can the Zips tap into some of these players.

Considering A&M has had one of the top recruiting classes the past few years, I doubt it. 

3 hours ago, bigjim said:

No, but can the Zips tap into some of the 4*/upper 3* guys that these transfers bump down on the totem pole? Much more likely.