Transfer Portal

John Ward

11 hours ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

Good call. The OL actually game him some holes at the end of the season.

I hope Lingard makes an impact. I’ll keep my expectations low…he barely saw the field at RB during his long Florida stint. 

Well him not seeing the field from the sideline is a different issue... Does he have 20/20 vision?

Wiley was a big back who made small plays. He did start to come on towards the end of the season, but so did Price (minus the ball security). I think anyone with talent will be able to succeed once we fix our OLine issues. Let's hope Linguard and Price are the answers this season. 

Just now, LZIp said:

Looks like we might have a replacement for Wiley. Former 4 star at VT I believe with 2 years of eligibility. Seems like he started most of last season?

If we did indeed land King, this running back room is about to be something serious. Let’s hope for some good news along the interior of the OL soon.

2 hours ago, LZIp said:

Banes just officially posted he's transferring on twitter. Seems like he's just looking to get closer to family. Unfortunate, but not much anybody in Akron OH could've done about that.

Tough losing him at this point. We were lucky to have Whigan fall in our lap late last year. Not sure if lightening will strike twice. There are some JUCO guys we’ve offered that could definitely help us though.

6 minutes ago, Blue & Gold said:

I'm confused. 

1. These guys could barely see the field for us.

2. Our OL was a weak spot... possibly the worst in the MAC.

3. But these guys are getting offers from programs we're trying to catch up to.

🤨

I think Owen Murphy was actually pretty solid, he was just injured all of last year, and I believe he was an OT. Not sure if we could supplant either Landers or Williams.

As for the others, we've seen them play. Some of the offers they are reporting make zero logical sense. So either walk ons, or there is a serious premium in the TP for ready to play OL.

• Like 2

I have no problem with Murphy and Gray finding new homes, even if they got scholies. We know they didn't give us what we needed. We all saw their play and it wasn't going to work out here. So congratulations to them. They move on and so do we. There is no issue here. 

2 hours ago, Blue & Gold said:

I'm confused. 

🤨

Owen Murphy was starting for us in 21 and doing well, had an injury and off season surgery and missed a lot and never got back in the mix for Moorhead 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, LZIp said:

I think Owen Murphy was actually pretty solid, he was just injured all of last year, and I believe he was an OT. Not sure if we could supplant either Landers or Williams.

As for the others, we've seen them play. Some of the offers they are reporting make zero logical sense. So either walk ons, or there is a serious premium in the TP for ready to play OL.

100% agree on all points. Definitely a premium on OL in the portal. Also, it’s unlikely anyone would replace either OT unless it was due to injury. Landers has an insane amount of upside, while Williams is the leader of that group. Chambers came along nicely too. This staff seems to value agility and athleticism more than the previous staff, so certain players that had success under the previous regime may struggle to fulfill the current staff’s requirements.

Edited by catdaddyp

On 4/6/2023 at 8:11 AM, Blue & Gold said:

I'm confused. 

🤨

Remember, the Transfer Portal is actually the Washout Portal. Over half of all players in it never play in college again. Most guys who transfer, and actually play another year, are mostly destined for another year of scout team, followed by another trip to the Transfer Portal which will end their career.

College football is a game of routine mostly consisting of tedious practice, even more tedious exercise and worst of all meetings. There are very few days a player is actually playing in a game. Many guys are so accustomed to this routine they cannot see their lives without it. Moreover, they are under a lot of pressure to live the lives others want them to live. I would advise any Zip who doesn't want to play anymore, and only has walk-on offers, to evaluate whether or not they want to really attend college. If they do, stay at Akron, do whatever you have to do to pay tuition and graduate. Do something like the Army Reserves or ROTC because the physical fitness requirements can easily be achieved. It's a great school. There are tons of things to do other than play football. Reality can be difficult, but face it.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, GoZips4824 said:

Former Zip DL Curtis Fann Jr. has committed to Western Carolina 

A great thing about my career is I have seen almost all of the country. WCU is a total dump....Imagine Columbiana County. He'll wash out by this time next year.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, GP1 said:

A great thing about my career is I have seen almost all of the country. WCU is a total dump....Imagine Columbiana County. He'll wash out by this time next year.

Maybe so. Although I hope he makes the most of his opportunity. We don’t know if it was mostly his decision to leave, the staff pushing him out, or a mutual decision. Regardless of WCU’s amenities, it’s certainly better than a JUCO. Fann is another one of those guys with plenty of athletic ability that, unfortunately, couldn’t produce for us.