Who should we hire to replace Arth?

Hilltopper

Brown is classless and would be a PR disaster here.

I've spent about two minutes thinking about it, but a young up and comer name that comes to mind is Brian Hartline. One of the best recruiters in the country, is from the area, has the OSU ties, has played in the NFL, is young so can relate to this generation somewhat, and has shown to be a pretty dang good coach in his few years. He's never been a head coach, but neither was Sean Lewis. Heck I am not even sure we could afford him. He's currently making 550k. He would need to surround himself with an experienced staff, however.

I'm sure there's better choices, but that seems to be a high risk/high reward hire. An older guy that comes to mind is Doc Holliday, if you can get him to leave WV. His firing was a farce. That Marshall program had a lot more up years than down years with him.

14 minutes ago, Blue & Gold said:

Rich Rodriguez.

Lol. I love irony.

25 minutes ago, LZIp said:

I'm sure there's better choices, but that seems to be a high risk/high reward hire. An older guy that comes to mind is Doc Holliday, if you can get him to leave WV. His firing was a farce. That Marshall program had a lot more up years than down years with him.

I thought about Holiday, too. What a joke to fire him. I am not sure he would even nibble at the Akron job, though.

Curt Cignetti would have been a good catch but leaving JMU for Akron isn't much of a career move.

Another possibility with a P5 Resume could be Bo Pelini.

I like Hardline but we can't afford him. My first choice, though, is Vince Kehres, former Mount HC and currently on the staff of UC under Fickel. He knows the area, understands the opportunity to build a legacy here, like his dad did at Mount and he knows how to win with class. Before hiring him I would fire Williams and find an AD who stood behind his coaches and was willing to fight for each program. Williams has screwed nearly every program at Akron at one time or another to stay in vogue with the administration. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

Ripper Owens held Rob's position, is a local guy, and we could get him for the price of a tribute band lead singer. Win-win?

Off topic, but the Zips football program is so uninspiring I'd rather talk about tribute bands than that program.

Back when I used to live in Akron, there was a band he started called Seattle Band. They were an awesome tribute band. He wasn't the singer when we started to follow, but they were still great.

Fast forward to today, the luckiest woman in the world, Mrs. GP1, and I go Grunge Fest every year in Charlotte. Throughout the year the cover bands that play in it play at the Music Factory in something called Road To Grunge Fest https://www.fillmorenc.com/EventDetail?tmeventid=2D0056A3B58E8CC6&offerid=0 . I always think of Seattle Band when I go. Akron was/is a fun place. Anyone who says differently is a boring person.