Enrique Freeman

Looking at all the mock drafts coming out, I’m feeling more and more confident that Enrique will be selected in the draft, which would be a big deal for our university.

By the way, I know this is an Enrique thread, but I’m not seeing one for Ali Ali. Obviously, Ali does not have a shot at being drafted and will probably end up playing overseas if he wants to play professionally. However, I have inside information that Ali worked out for the Cavaliers today. I heard he looked good, and came off as well-spoken and a good kid (not surprising to any of us). One thing I did not know about him is that he and his significant other had a child last season.

• Like 6

On 6/16/2024 at 7:10 PM, Let'sGoZips94 said:

The one that said they wouldn't be shocked if Freeman went in the first round, is also the one that just posted a mock draft on Yahoo. 

She has Freeman going #39 to Memphis. 

https://sports.yahoo.com/2024-nba-mock-draft-90-a-new-name-in-the-mix-at-no-1-plus-the-latest-projections-for-every-pick-142340610.html

1 hour ago, Illini Zip said:

What would have more impact on the recruiting trail, Enrique being selected in the NBA draft or the Zips winning their first NCAA Tournament game?

I vote winning an NCAA Tourney game.  Having a player drafted means little for the program (unfortunately). For proof look at Weber St w/ Damian Lillard, Leigh w/ CJ McCollum, Davidson w/ Curry, etc etc.. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, AkronAlumnus said:

I vote winning an NCAA Tourney game.  Having a player drafted means little for the program (unfortunately). For proof look at Weber St w/ Damian Lillard, Leigh w/ CJ McCollum, Davidson w/ Curry, etc etc.. 

EMU w/ Emoni Bates for more relatable reference.

Edited by kreed5120

3 hours ago, AkronAlumnus said:

The Davidson/Curry example makes for a strong argument. Davidson had basically the same Kenpom rating as Akron last year.

• Like 1

Even if sending Enrique to the NBA isn’t a major draw in recruiting, it would remove a negative recruiting tactic done by other schools/coaches. They wouldn’t be able to tell an athlete he has NBA potential so why would you go to Akron where you are less likely to get noticed by NBA scouts.

That said, every time Akron is mentioned during the NCAAT it is instant advertising. So I have to agree with you all. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, gozips19 said:

Sam Amico was on 92.3 today. Mentioned how well Freeman has been shooting in his workouts.  Stock is way up and could see him going in the late first. 

Starts at about the 29 minute mark:  https://www.audacy.com/podcast/baskin-phelps-0ab89/episodes/hour-2-dans-trade-targets-for-the-guardians-sam-amico-could-monty-williams-be-in-contention-for-the-cavs-job-d52df

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

It is amazing that Akron has a potential first round draft pick who was a walk on player.  I remember Freeman's first games and the only thing that stood out was he had the skinniest legs of any basketball player I have ever seen.  He looked like a walk on and I never thought he would get any substantial playing time.

You have to give Groce and his staff for developing Freeman.  His progress through the 5 years with the team was truly amazing!!!

That being said, our best opportunity to win an NCAA game was against UCLA when Freeman was a 2nd year student.  Considering Freeman's talent, Groce failed to build a better team around him his senior year.  He had three big misses in Prather, Thornton and Scott.  He just needed a point guard that could drive and shoot.  Tribble was a 2 guard playing the point and Ali was a wing playing the two.  This team never hit the next gear that we were all expecting at the beginning of the season.  I really hope to see Freeman in the NBA!!  

• Like 3
  • Thumbs down 2

An NCAA Tournament win would do more but I wouldn't discount what having an NBA player could do for the program, especially since Freeman seems very close to Groce and loves Akron. Having an NBA player who will likely be a willing pitch man for the program and Coach Groce is another tool the coaching staff will have at their disposal.

I also hope Athletics has a plan to capitalize on Freeman getting drafted. It should be in place already, as it now seems to be a question of when he's drafted and not if. IMO they didn't capitalize on his star power while he was here, but the past is the past and they now get a second chance of sorts.

Him being drafted needs to be made a huge f'ing deal. Billboards congratulating him around the city. A giant display with a photo of him holding his NBA team's jersey on draft night in and/or outside of the JAR. And don't wait - hang #25 in the JAR this coming season. He's the greatest Zips player ever, he's everything you want in a young man representing your university, and there's literally zero reason to wait.

I've said it before and I will say it again - if Athletics wants to be viewed as a serious program, they need to act like one. I'll be watching closely and hoping they step up to the plate with what is an absolutely incredible opportunity for them. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 1981 grad said:

That being said, our best opportunity to win an NCAA game was against UCLA when Freeman was a 2nd year student.  Considering Freeman's talent, Groce failed to build a better team around him his senior year.  He had three big misses in Prather, Thornton and Scott.  He just needed a point guard that could drive and shoot.  Tribble was a 2 guard playing the point and Ali was a wing playing the two.  This team never hit the next gear that we were all expecting at the beginning of the season.  I really hope to see Freeman in the NBA!!  

"Failed" isn't a word I would use to describe "John Groce."

• Like 2

On 6/20/2024 at 11:16 AM, 1981 grad said:

It is amazing that Akron has a potential first round draft pick who was a walk on player.  I remember Freeman's first games and the only thing that stood out was he had the skinniest legs of any basketball player I have ever seen.  He looked like a walk on and I never thought he would get any substantial playing time.

You have to give Groce and his staff for developing Freeman.  His progress through the 5 years with the team was truly amazing!!!

I don't see Scott as a failure.  He contributed well as the season wound down.  Also, every coach misses on recruits.  Akron has benefited from what some may consider "misses" by coaches at bigger schools.

Edited by clarkwgriswold
  • Like 1