Zips Baseball 2023

Spin

On 11/4/2022 at 3:43 PM, Let'sGoZips94 said:

Anybody with recruiting knowledge know if any of these players come with any expectations?

Also, how did we land Greg Beals?

I don't follow the high school recruits or the transfer portal in any sport, although the scouting reports are exciting.

With Coach Beals, I get the impression he looks at this program as one he can build from the ground up his way, with his type of players. And the transfer portal is a big kick in the butt to build the team quicker and better. Possibly there were too many cooks in the tOSU kitchen, too many contributors to appease, too many "suggestions" from the huge athletics department. His string of conference tournament appearances came to an end and I bet tOSU turned the heat up. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Spin said:

I don't follow the high school recruits or the transfer portal in any sport, although the scouting reports are exciting.

With Coach Beals, I get the impression he looks at this program as one he can build from the ground up his way, with his type of players. And the transfer portal is a big kick in the butt to build the team quicker and better. Possibly there were too many cooks in the tOSU kitchen, too many contributors to appease, too many "suggestions" from the huge athletics department. His string of conference tournament appearances came to an end and I bet tOSU turned the heat up. 

Beals seems like the coach that will get this program into a prominent light. I love it. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

GoZips.com has the complete schedule for 2023, and a 36 player roster with a lot of familiar names, and a ton of new ones including nine freshmen. 

The season starts on Feb. 17 at Western Carolina, the first 10 games are in that region.

The MAC "season" starts at home March 10 against EMU. The MAC part of the schedule includes single games against Dayton (twice), Michigan, Shawnee State, Ohio State, Malone, a home-and-home with YSU, and a three game set at Notre Dame.

YSU plays at Eastwood Field, which is home of the Mahoning Valley Scrappers. I've wanted to see that ballpark since it was built but the stars never aligned.

It's about $%#@& time we play Youngstown State. They're 43 miles apart. They have a history. 

Edited by Spin
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/7/2022 at 8:24 AM, Let'sGoZips94 said:

Beals seems like the coach that will get this program into a prominent light. I love it. 

He just left for Marshall. Players found out via Twitter. There was reason OSU fired him. A-hole with a capital A!

• Like 1

I hope we get someone who wants to be here, not just needs a job. Our program needs a builder. Someone who realizes we aren't the best in the MAC and it will take a long time to upgrade talent and facilities to get there. If you are just passing thru, like Beals, keep on going. 

• Like 1

If you weren't already convinced that this guy is a real ****head, the kids on the team found out through the tweet.  They had no advance warning.

To add to that, the author of the tweet caught some criticism for releasing it before the kids were told.  His response was that he held off to confirm through 4 people before posting it.  As such, Beals had ample time to let the kids know and didn't.

Edited by clarkwgriswold
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs down 1

4 minutes ago, Zipped Up said:

This is partially on Guthrie for being more concerned with making a “name” hire. Minimal due diligence within the college baseball world would’ve revealed the douche that he is known to be. 

And also, what may have transpired between Guthrie and Beal during the interval since he was hired?  Not to take away from the obvious BS Beals created here, but was it provoked in some way?  Why would you even listen to another offer before your first game as a HC here?

2 hours ago, zippy-claws said:

And also, what may have transpired between Guthrie and Beal during the interval since he was hired?  Not to take away from the obvious BS Beals created here, but was it provoked in some way?  Why would you even listen to another offer before your first game as a HC here?

In the baseball world, it is a better job.  I assume that's his justification.  I slightly begrudge that he did it.  I really begrudge the way he did it by not telling the kids before it got out.

1 hour ago, Sergeant Zip said:

Agreed.  The onboarding process is important.  Employees who experienced an effective onboarding are more likely to feel highly committed to their organization.

The onboarding process isn't going to affect a guy who allowed his players to find out about his departure via Twitter. 

Guthrie should be so far out of the crosshairs on this. Beals is a grade A jackwagon, exhibited by his lack of respect for the players first and foremost. Guthrie tried to make a splash hire on a guy with a lot of success in the sport at this level. It didn't work out. Ce la vie.

Tim Donnelly has been named interim HC. 2016 CUSA Asst. Coach of the Year.

https://www.beaconjournal.com/story/sports/college/zips/2023/01/03/akron-zips-baseball-interim-head-coach-tim-donnelly-hired-replaces-greg-beals/69775389007/

Total surprise. I was hoping he was the one. That ranks him lower than whale crap and Sabo.

We sure know how to pick them…

Edited by Spin
Auto”correct”