Game # 8: @ Can't State

ZippyRulz

Well. There’s yet again no reason Akron should have lost that damn game. Kent couldn’t get anything going early on, and the offense choked by throwing a horrible pick that should have been a TD, then failing to put the ball in the end zone inside the 5 yard line. Could have easily been 21-0 Zips, forcing that QB to air it out and win it with his arms. Alas, more of our beloved growing pains. I thought Joe called a pretty good game, just couldn’t get the run game going again. Having a MASH unit OL was certainly the equalizer today, compounding the run game struggles and QB who struggles to escape a collapsing pocket. Only issue I had with playcalling was the situation at the end, poor clock management. And the failed 4th down could have been seen from the moon. I get having confidence in your guys, but at some point you have to be realistic that it’s a very big ask to get half a yard push with this line out of the shot gun. Under center, snap to DJ, hug the ball, fall forward. If not that, a play-action dump off to a tight end would have converted 100% of the time, with a chance to slip into the end zone. And the officiating was fine and certainly not to blame for the loss, but without going back to see it, it felt criminal not to get the PI call in the end zone. Akron and Kent fans alike were blown away that the flag wasn’t thrown. 

Anywell, 0-4 halfway thru MAC play, 3 losses by a score. A muffed punt, a stupid fumble, and a bad pick away from being in the top half of the MAC East, but without a single win they still feel so far away. One of these days they have to break through, right?

Have to win the wheel in 2023. Absolutely have to. 

Go Zips. 

• Like 2

Yawn🥱. There will be the same folks on here micro analyzing the game. This guy did this, that guy did that. We get it. Paralyisis by analysis. They will say next season will be better. It should! We ALL HOPE so. We have known this since way back when?

Joe made Irons throw more than 30 times. 2 picks. RB's only ran the ball 21 times for 72 yards.. What if they had run the ball 5-10 more times? Who knows? As I have said many times if Joe makes Irons throw 30+ times the outcome is ususally not good.

With the lack of a reliable defense, can't play the game that way. EXCEPT for the picks and the 242 yards Kent got on the ground, close game. Kent is not that good this year.

They have had a chance last 2 weeks.

Puncher's chance rest of the way.

18 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said:

I keep hearing about the injuries on the offensive line but this unit was bad when healthy.  That has to be an emphasis in recruiting this year as you waste your skill position talent when your o-line is awful. 

Hopefully hitting the portal hard, though it takes games to build chemistry. And while it was pretty bad most of the year, it was getting better in short yardage run situations the first couple weeks of MAC play, and that just was not there today, especially when it needed to be. It would have been nice to take the reigns and control that game by going 100% in those early scoring situations. If that had been the case, maybe we could see what this team looks like when it strategically runs the ball to control the pace and make things tougher on the opposing QB so they have to beat you through the air. 

Instead and in true Akron fashion, all hopes to build on the early lead quickly turned into a deficit, in large part due to self-inflicted wounds. And when that happens, the only hope is to throw the air out of the ball. It’s been fairly successful against MAC defense, but has struggled mightily once the field shrinks. Once UA scored the TD to take short lead with a couple minutes to go in the 2Q, you could pretty much write the script up in your head of how the rest of that half and the game was going to go. Crazy to see them continually lose like this. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lee Adams said:

🥱

Puncher's chance rest of the way.

I didn't see a second of the game , so what do I know. I like this comment though. 

The one thing the puncher can't do is make mistakes. Turnovers are deadly. Kent had zero turnovers today. Akron has two. If you are an underdog, you had better not turn the ball over.

18 hours ago, GoZips88 said:

I'm SO tired of bad football. 

From the guy that was listening to Steve French on a Sony Walkman report the Zips were down 35-0 to BG on my wedding day in 1993...and the guy that was at the Rubber Bowl when Faust beat OU to go 1-10 in 1994...and the guy that saw Rob Ianello produce back-to-back 1-11 seasons...only to be succeeded by Bowden going 1-11 in his inaugural season, then bookend his tenure with a 4-8 record after beating the Big 10 champs earlier that season...and the guy that saw Tom Arth and Oscar Rodriguez rack up a combined 3 wins against 27 losses...and the guy that's staring smack dab into the face of another 1-11 season...I can say will 100% confidence - I feel your pain.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1