Game 10 - EMU

GoZips86

Even though they lost to Toledo who is real good, EMU looks pretty stout. They have a game wrecker on D. I saw them line up in a version of the pistol, with 3 RB's in the backfield with the QB. They can bulldoze you with the run if they want to. Or they can use the backs out of the backfield to create mismatches.

Wish Akron would use some more multi-back sets. But that's not Moorehead.

Edited by Lee Adams
Spell

I know the Zips are 1-8, but what an apathetic forum of posters regarding our team just over 48 hours away from the final home game versus EMU.  Let's show some excitement and enthusiasm here and hope that the team will do the same.  I know it will be a tough game, but we must keep up hope for at least one more win.

Go Zips!!!

• Like 3

I have mixed fealings for this game.  I want an all out effort to get a win; while at the same time l would like to see some Fr get some reps without burning their red shirt.  You never know for sure what you have until the bullets are flying!  I think most of the Fr can apear in our final 3 games and still have 4 more years to play 4.  Three months of practice should have at least some of them ready to see some action.  I would hate for this to turn into a throw away year, but a few reps could motivate some guys to step it up in the off season.

• Like 1

EMUs ooc is based upon sanity. It left them needing only one more win in their last 3 to make a bowl. Great place for a program like theirs to be. It is what we dream of, a meaningful games in November.  We have another meaningless game. Akron gets blown out by a motivated team. 

Since early October of 2018, Akron has been a bottom 3 MAC team, and has not budged, spending most of that time firmly in last place. Evaluating the team throughout a lot of this time has been like searching for a needle of success in a haystack the size of the field house. For the first time since then, the team overall is performing consistently, from the standpoint that they score a decent amount, give up a lot but not as much as before, and usually come up with a one-score loss somewhere in the neighborhood of 33-30ish.

I took a look at conference games since 2019 to see exactly how much closer they've gotten. In 2019 MAC games, Akron gave up 36.3 ppg, while scoring 8.3 (-27.9). In 2020, they gave up 41.3 ppg, while scoring 17.2 (-24.1). In 2021, gave up 37 ppg, scoring 20.3 (-16.7). This year, they have given up 35 ppg while scoring 24 (-11). The product on the field has certainly improved, but still has its fair share of ugly showings. I would love to see an advanced look at the sacks the offense surrenders. How much field position, yardage, and potential scoring has the offense given up just through sacks? Those numbers have to be so bad, I cannot even imagine.

Eastern Michigan struggles a bit more against the run, and of course they've got Jose Ramirez leading the country in sacks. Offensively, they have some weapons with Samson Evans and Jaylen Jackson in the backfield, along with Hassan Beydoun, Tanner Knue, and Darius Lassiter out wide. They've beaten Arizona State, while also losing to NIU at home by 29 and Buffalo at home by 19. This is a tough team to get a read on. On a good night, I feel like they could roll into Infocision and win by 3-4 touchdowns. On a bad night, I could see Akron striking a couple times early and them not being able to keep up without consistent QB play. Austin Smith and Taylor Powell have combined on the year for 1,816 yards, 12 TDs, 10 INT. 

I think EMU will win by a score or two, unless the Zips can somehow force some turnovers. It's just so hard to win unless you get a couple more possessions than the other team. And Akron is far from good enough to score consistently while also constantly giving up scores on defense. They're always one step forward then two steps back. It will be a small crowd with some decent weather for November. A big thank you to the seniors for putting up with this unbelievable losing for their Akron careers. Shoutout to Shocky for taking a shot in your final year to be here, it's been fun to see him make some plays.

Is one win too much to ask for? Go Zips!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, LoyalZIP said:

I took a look at conference games since 2019 to see exactly how much closer they've gotten. In 2019 MAC games, Akron gave up 36.3 ppg, while scoring 8.3 (-27.9). In 2020, they gave up 41.3 ppg, while scoring 17.2 (-24.1). In 2021, gave up 37 ppg, scoring 20.3 (-16.7). This year, they have given up 35 ppg while scoring 24 (-11). The product on the field has certainly improved, but still has its fair share of ugly showings. I would love to see an advanced look at the sacks the offense surrenders. How much field position, yardage, and potential scoring has the offense given up just through sacks? Those numbers have to be so bad, I cannot even imagine.

Is one win too much to ask for? Go Zips!

Those statistics are just depressing. I applaud anyone who has consistently gone to games during this period. You had to have been driven by friendship more than an opportunity to watch good football.

Is one win too much to ask for?  Yes. While you cannot see it on the field, Akron is an improving program. EMU is a program that has improved and probably feels confident about themselves every week and especially this week. I'm sure the same cannot be said for the Zips for many reasons including the Athletic Department has spent a lot of time making decisions that ultimately lead to a lack of momentum. Coach M isn't just battling external elements, there is an enemy within he has to contend with as well. "The most dangerous team is a team with confidence and momentum" - Bill Cowher. Akron is not a dangerous team and really does not have the ability to produce big plays necessary to swing momentum in their direction making them capable of upsetting a favorite. Never bet against a home underdog, but is there a safer home underdog to bet against than Akron this week?

7 minutes ago, GP1 said:

Never bet against a home underdog, but is there a safer home underdog to bet against than Akron this week?

I tend to agree, but -7 is a pretty safe number against Akron. I was expecting it to be around 10 or 11, in which case I would be much more inclined to take Akron. Perhaps the sports books miss the Arth days of going 1-11 ATS?

9 minutes ago, catdaddyp said:

I’ve yet to figure out how to watch certain games on CBSSN. When I check, it does not show Akron as an upcoming game. Supposedly, I can watch it on Hulu but Hulu brings up past ESPN+ games. Any thoughts or ideas?

I have Spectrum, and the game is showing up on the list of channels guide at 7 p.m. on CBSSNHD.  For me, this is channel 322.  I have the DVR set to record the game so that I can watch the Zips victory again tomorrow, after I return from the game tonight.  

Go Zips!!!!

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, catdaddyp said:

I’ve yet to figure out how to watch certain games on CBSSN. When I check, it does not show Akron as an upcoming game. Supposedly, I can watch it on Hulu but Hulu brings up past ESPN+ games. Any thoughts or ideas?

I also have Spectrum and they are showing that they do not plan on broadcasting the Akron EMU game until 7:00. Recommend you don't try tuning in until that time.

19 minutes ago, Zipmeister said:

I also have Spectrum and they are showing that they do not plan on broadcasting the Akron EMU game until 7:00. Recommend you don't try tuning in until that time.

Thank you.  Please look one post above to show the game starts at 7 p.m.  Maybe I should have said 1900.

One my way to the game.  Go Zips!!!  

Edited by bigjim
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, catdaddyp said:

I just searched Akron Zips on Hulu and the game came up. I have had that same issue in the past though, but at game time when I've gone to live events I was able to find it. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, bigjim said:

Thank you.  Please look one post above to show the game starts at 7 p.m.  Maybe I should have said 1900.

One my way to the game.  Go Zips!!!  

Thank you. I saw your post before making my post. The problem with your post is that it did not recommend not trying to watch the game before it was being broadcast.