2022-23 College Football Off-Season Tracker

Let'sGoZips94

• 2 weeks later...
15 hours ago, LZIp said:

Seems like a nice get for BG

I'm unimpressed. Remember, the TP is actually the Washout Portal. His career has been at best unremarkable while washing out at two different P5 schools. He'll have one more unremarkable year at BG and that will be that. 

On 1/14/2023 at 10:50 AM, GP1 said:

I'm unimpressed. Remember, the TP is actually the Washout Portal. His career has been at best unremarkable while washing out at two different P5 schools. He'll have one more unremarkable year at BG and that will be that. 

A lot depends on his position coach and coordinator at each stop along with his own willingness to be taught and listen. You never know BG may be the perfect spot for him.

Honestly when Akron hired Moorhead I thought this would be the type of guy the Zips would be bringing in given JoeMo’s reputation of developing and improving quarterbacks

Edited by GJGood

10 minutes ago, GJGood said:

Honestly when Akron hired Moorhead I thought this would be the type of guy the Zips would be bringing in given JoeMo’s reputation of developing and improving quarterbacks

I don't think there's anything for Moorhead to develop or improve here. The kid is already entering his 5th year of college ball, and enrolling in his 3rd college. 

Steele Wasel is Joe's QB to develop and improve.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

I don't think there's anything for Moorhead to develop or improve here. The kid is already entering his 5th year of college ball, and enrolling in his 3rd college. 

Steele Wasel is Joe's QB to develop and improve.

Yes. I get that. I guess I didn’t state it well. I thought we would be getting disgruntled starting or backup P5 quarterbacks who were looking to improve their status with pro scouts. I didn’t really mean the 5th year guy but more in the realm of P5 QBs looking to find a better situation.

I look forward to seeing Steele develop and honestly, since I saw a good bit of him in high school, I would like to see what Dijon can do in the Moorhead system.

Wasn’t sure where to put this so please feel free to move it if it would be more appropriate to another thread.

Final 2022 Coaches Poll, our own Coach Moorhead had some interesting rankings.

Personally I think he overrated Penn State and Notre Dame and underrated Cotton Bowl champ Tulane.

1EE69CF6-2BA3-4ADB-B537-7AB3756BBDAD.jpeg

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said:

Jaden Rashada is looking to get out of his commitment to Florida because his $13M NIL deal fell through when the Florida Collective couldn't come up with the $$$$$$$$$$$.   What a strange world college athletics have become.

On the positive side, LSU gymnastics meets are selling out.

Yes, and he was a 4* recruit and 7th rated QB. It makes you wonder what the QBs ahead of him are making

At what point will the finacial weight bring every thing crashing down?  I hardly follow professional sports; because of the cost to attend a game.  I'm not renewing my season tickets to Iowa State football because of the increasing required donation along with ticket prices.  Des Moines will host first round games for the NCAA BB.  At $100 per game, I'll pass

(unless by some miracle the Zips are playing).

21 minutes ago, Ham said:

At what point will the finacial weight bring every thing crashing down?  I hardly follow professional sports; because of the cost to attend a game.  I'm not renewing my season tickets to Iowa State football because of the increasing required donation along with ticket prices.  Des Moines will host first round games for the NCAA BB.  At $100 per game, I'll pass

The financial weight is there because the revenue is there. Nothing is crashing. Attendance is already becoming less of a factor as media deals take precedent. 

42 minutes ago, Ham said:

It can't bring it crashing down as NIL isn't a requirement for the sport. It's a luxury to try to further the haves from the have nots.

Media deals will not pay for the programs.  Student fees can only go so high.  As the haves seperate themselves from who?  How many P5 programs pay their own way now?  Advertisers don't have any skin in the game.  When the return for their advertising dollars is better placed elsewhere, media contracts will shrink.  How many ads are you seeing now on our ESPN+ broadcasts?  I think GP1 has been right all along; except, I think we (G5) will see many P5 "have nots" want to join us.  Let the big boys play an NBA style championship into March.  The rest of us can still put an enjoyable product out there.

4 hours ago, Ham said:

I think GP1 has been right all along; except, I think we (G5) will see many P5 "have nots" want to join us. 

Just to be clear, I've never said this. P5 have nots will never leave P5 for G5. There is more money in failure at the P5 level than they can make at G5. 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Big Ten/NBC $7B Media Deal Hits Turbulence

This is quite the situation. Combined, the Big Ten schools will have to pay back $65M. The value on the deal is in flux (tens of millions - estimated $70M+ which is $5M per school) due to availability of schools for primetime games. 

Kevin Warren left for a job with the Chicago Bears, and the new commissioner - Tony Petitti - is scrambling to keep this deal together with as much original value as possible. All the while pissing off coaches with poor communication about schedules, etc.

Also, PAC12's new media deal is not looking great. 

Edited by Let'sGoZips94