Game 2 - Morgan State

GoZips86

10 minutes ago, zipsoutsider said:

will have a guy like Sanders at Colorado woth the name to flip a team in a year, but those guys are hard to find and the exception and you usually can't get them at what a G5 school can pay them and their staff.

100% true. It can be done, but the coaches have to have NFL experience. There is approximately 50% turnover per year in NFL rosters. NFL coaches simply aren't interested in coaching in college, let alone MAC levels. Sanders manages his team like an NFL GM. He's the most interesting thing to happen to college football in many years. I want to dislike him, but the more I try, the more like him. He's a very good coach and if you don't think so, you haven't watched Colorado play. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Blue & Gold said:

Norm MacDonald is our new stadium announcer.

Not to mention that a DJ is now our Marching Band!  On Band Day, I had to listen to loud obnoxious hip hop and rock blaring over the PA as well as "Norm"s rather dull announcing, rather than, well, an actual Band!  And Ohio's Finest, at that!  Way to go Charles, give me that great Game Day experience that will bring me back! 🤪

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, zippy-claws said:

Not to mention that a DJ is now our Marching Band!  On Band Day, I had to listen to loud obnoxious hip hop and rock blaring over the PA as well as "Norm"s rather dull announcing, rather than, well, an actual Band!  And Ohio's Finest, at that!  Way to go Charles, give me that great Game Day experience that will bring me back! 🤪

The crowd was not that big but I thought it was a great atmosphere. I actually liked the music, it created some energy people were dancing. 
I also likes Norm MacDonald, he did make several mistakes, but he had some energy and I’m sure will improve.

3 minutes ago, MangoZip said:

This play totally reminded me of the miracle in the meadowlands with Larry Csonka and Herm Edwards. It was on the same part of the field, scoop and score, complete blunder. This has to have a name, Miracle in the Land? Miracle in Akronland? Miracle in MoreheadLand? 

How about this name: "Its embarrassing Akron blew a lead against Morgan State and almost lost before absolute luck stepped in"

4 minutes ago, MangoZip said:

The crowd was not that big but I thought it was a great atmosphere. I actually liked the music, it created some energy people were dancing. 
I also likes Norm MacDonald, he did make several mistakes, but he had some energy and I’m sure will improve.

You must be his grand-son or something....

2 minutes ago, GoZips86 said:

How about this name: "Its embarrassing Akron blew a lead against Morgan State and almost lost before absolute luck stepped in"

This is where I find myself this a.m. I was underwhelmed last night & still feel it this a.m. We were LUCKY to beat an FCS opponent. I fear it's going to be another long season.

On top of that, except for the final minute of the 1st and and final minute of the 2nd half, last night's game was

B-O-R-I-N-G.  For years I've been taking guys to games just hoping against hope to make some new Akron fans and for years I've often felt guilty for subjecting my friends to the stuff.  Last night was yet another occurrence. Ugh.  Before the 2nd half started one of my friends - who loves him some football - said, "This feels like a looooooong game. Even halftime felt long."  It simply wasn't much fun. 

Being a Zips fan ain't for wimps.

• Like 2

Bad bad bad bad bad game. I registered almost no emotion the entire 2nd half. It had all been beaten out of me. I knew JU was going to throw a pick to cost the game. I knew we weren't going to move the ball with ease. It was just one of those days. My mind raced the entire 2nd half. So if Moorhead can't do it, who can?

I have been to all but one home game at that stadium since August of 2012. And I have never left feeling the way I did yesterday, which is strange considering Akron actually won a football game. That includes an 0-12 season where we didn't score a TD for a month. The last 3 FCS games have been Bryant, St. Francis, Morgan State. All 3 pretty similar. Bryant was tied going into the 4th quarter, SF took OT, and whatever the hell that was last night. Yet--this Akron team as currently constructed is the best team Akron has fielded in 5 years. I cannot wrap my head around why the offense is so...blah. The defense is actually becoming quite fun to watch, we'll see what happens as opponents get better.

But that Akron sideline was frustrated last night. Big time. I suppose that is an improvement on the Bowden sideline that took naps when things weren't going well or an Arth sideline where nobody cared. These guys know they are better than what they've shown. We'll see if coach or anyone or anything can get it out of them.

So on the 4th play of the game last night following a pair of sacks, we block a punt and take over inside the 10. Last week, a 77-yard TD on the 2nd play. It's almost like these big plays are made early and they just expect everything to be easy.

Anyway...Gameday experience was just okay. Band doesn't seem to play as much as they used to. I don't love the piped in music between plays, I prefer the band, but that kinda just is what it is. AS FOR THE PA....goodness gracious. Did they just bring in some random dude off the street? Clearly didn't do any prep, was lost numerous times with what was going on, didn't seem to know the rules of the game. The previous announcer, who does the Browns, Zips MBB, MAC football title, MAC basketball tournaments, no longer wants to do Akron football. I'm hoping this guy was a temporary replacement until they get someone else in there. Woof. Talk about minor league.

Got one in the correct column, but nobody can really feel too great about how they got it. This is a big time work in progress.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, MangoZip said:

This play totally reminded me of the miracle in the meadowlands with Larry Csonka and Herm Edwards. It was on the same part of the field, scoop and score, complete blunder. This has to have a name, Miracle in the Land? Miracle in Akronland? Miracle in MoreheadLand? 

"2023 Edition - FCS Home Game We're Supposed To Win HANDILY As Prep For Following Week's P5 Payday/ESPN Upset Highlights Away Game"

12 hours ago, MDZip said:

24 points - 14 scored directly by the defense, three effectively scored by special teams. So the offense generated 7 points in the entire game. 

No, Moorehead is not getting fired. But, he has some serious problems on th offensive side, including in my humble opinion, play calling. A guy who sits with us in 212 said Moorehead needs to realize is not at Oregon anymore. Can't 'out athlete' other teams at this levvel. The coaches had to play Undercuffler. Irons was having his same issues. BUT, the play calling didn't do him any favors. The offense got some rythmn and moved when Undercuffler went in. Passes were on time, accurate,they scored. But, tthe coaches didn not use the run effectively even though it showed positive signs at times.

The TE was used but sparingly. I am getting tired of watching the run game being inside handoffs paralell to the line of scrimmage. Use 2 backs occasionally. Give the O-line some help. And, throw to the backs underneath beyond the line of scrimmage to occupy safeties and LB's.

The INT's Undercuffler threw were bad. The last one didn't need to go into the endzone. He had a receiver underneath.

Undercuffler can manage a game IF the coaches help him with better play calling. Run the ball more effectively and take the pressure off the QB. The defense isn't going to win anymore ball games like yeaterday.

I am looking at Buffalo as a barometer.

1 hour ago, MangoZip said:

How about "the mass pulled out of their @$$"?

It looks like our season will revolve around the issue of finding an effective QB. My thoughts on last night's game are these:

• The event management sucked. The music was poor and excruciating loud. Give me more of the band. UA needs to copy what works for other programs. I'm talking about during the TO's and commercials. That entertainment is usually cheap.  Engage MBA students to go out and see what is fun at other stadiums. 
  • The OL was unsettled with Williams out. It lost ground from the week before. 
  • Play calling is hurting us. No run game. No bubble screens. No passing to the backs.  I can't believe this is Joe calling the plays. Find something that works and you take the pressure off the OL and QB's.
  • Our goals are still out there to be grasped. The D can win some games if the O can play. Now we will see who can coach. The talent is there to go .500.
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, Blue & Gold said:

Can you elaborate on this?  Nate Williams?  Tyler Williams?  Was one of them hurt?

And, speaking of OL... Kamari Landers had to go to JUCO for a year but plans to return to UA as soon as he is able.

Hope Landers makes it back.

Dakota Thomas is also at JUCO. Although, I don’t know what his plans are beyond that.

T. Williams played the majority of the game. Thinking back, I’m not sure if N. Williams played. I think I got him mixed up with Chambers starting at RG.

Edited by catdaddyp

22 hours ago, Blue & Gold said:

This is where I find myself this a.m. I was underwhelmed last night & still feel it this a.m. We were LUCKY to beat an FCS opponent. I fear it's going to be another long season.

On top of that, except for the final minute of the 1st and and final minute of the 2nd half, last night's game was

B-O-R-I-N-G.  For years I've been taking guys to games just hoping against hope to make some new Akron fans and for years I've often felt guilty for subjecting my friends to the stuff.  Last night was yet another occurrence. Ugh.  Before the 2nd half started one of my friends - who loves him some football - said, "This feels like a looooooong game. Even halftime felt long."  It simply wasn't much fun. 

Being a Zips fan ain't for wimps.

The TV timeouts are killing the live viewing.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, catdaddyp said:

Joe incredibly high on Nunnally, understandably so. That is as impactful a game as an Akron DL has played in a long time. Zach Morton had some flashes the last couple of years, but I'm hoping that even at his smaller size, CJ can take the role of being a feared DL in the MAC to take some of the attention to himself and get opposing teams flustered so we can generate some pass rush. 

It's amazing to see Joe's body language after that one. He, like us, was in disbelief of what happened that night. But, they did technically finish and win the game, which has been the goal all along.

It's funny. The Zips are at 1-1 now after losing a game they should've won and winning a game they should've lost. Real close to 2-0 and just as close to 0-2.

• Like 2

Who would have thought that our defense would be the reason we won the game? Lots of great plays during the game. I thought we were supposed to be a dominant team on the offensive side. The offense still hasn't scored in the second half this season! Moorhead has to get this offensive problem solved ASAP.

Edited by blueandgold
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, LoyalZIP said:

Joe incredibly high on Nunnally, understandably so. That is as impactful a game as an Akron DL has played in a long time. Zach Morton had some flashes the last couple of years, but I'm hoping that even at his smaller size, CJ can take the role of being a feared DL in the MAC to take some of the attention to himself and get opposing teams flustered so we can generate some pass rush. 

It's amazing to see Joe's body language after that one. He, like us, was in disbelief of what happened that night. But, they did technically finish and win the game, which has been the goal all along.

It's funny. The Zips are at 1-1 now after losing a game they should've won and winning a game they should've lost. Real close to 2-0 and just as close to 0-2.

Agreed. Nunnally made most of the plays from DE Saturday night, but Ryan Johnson has also been solid. One source has Johnson credited with 6 pressures which is twice as much as any other defender on the roster. He just needs to finish. Needless to say, the DL and LBs have been pleasant surprises. It’s too bad we didn’t get more pressure on Temple.

Games like that can be exhausting. Looked like JoeMo was battling a bit of an illness as well.

I’m curious to see where this team goes from here. I’ve seen it time and time again when a team is counted out and they come out with an explosion no one saw coming. When that will happen, I don’t know, but there is too much talent on the roster and too good of a staff in place to not get it right. Good example is South Carolina last year beating Tennessee and Clemson back to back to close out the season or Illinois going on a 6 game win streak after losing to a terrible Indiana team. The offense is still trying to find some sort of “identity” without the level of play we had last year from DJI. The defense seems to be legitimate and improving. Special Teams also seems not far off from being really good. Unfortunately, poor QB play is masking everything.

• Like 3