Game 3 - Kentucky

ZippyRulz

Each year when a game like this hits our schedule early, I always think how Akron NEEDS a win like this. Any win against a big program could really help with interest in the Zips. I know UK isnt ranked, but going into an SEC environment and winning would be awesome. The Zips barely beat Morgan State, so I'm not holding my breath. Just simply stating how a win could do wonders. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, GoZips86 said:

Each year when a game like this hits our schedule early, I always think how Akron NEEDS a win like this. Any win against a big program could really help with interest in the Zips. I know UK isnt ranked, but going into an SEC environment and winning would be awesome. The Zips barely beat Morgan State, so I'm not holding my breath. Just simply stating how a win could do wonders. 

I’m not as concerned about winning since it’s a long shot as much as I am figuring out our issues for conference play, but Kentucky only beat Eastern Kentucky by 11 last week and we were 20-something point dogs when we beat Northwestern. CFB is weird (like NIU beating BC then losing to Southern Illinois). That’s what makes it great! 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, GoZips86 said:

This is not me hyping up a Zips win, but UK has been less than impressive so far. Leary has surprisingly struggled throwing the deep ball, completing one pass for over 20 yards and the Wildcat defense has been suspect. Before the season began I thought Indiana would be the best opportunity out of the two P5s. At this point, it looks like UK is it. 

Of course we have our own issues at QB that need to be figured out before we beat anyone else. Frustrating that the team is better in every area on the field vs 2022 except at QB.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs down 1

Kentucky started 4-0 last year with wins over Miami (OH), Florida, YSU, and NIU. They proceeded to lose 6 of their next 9, including a loss to Vandy (oof) and a scoreless 21 pt loss to Iowa in their bowl game. They had a potential Heisman QB and a QB that fell to the 2nd round in the NFL draft. They finished 7-6 and lost their QB. 

They are beatable. The issue is, upsets typically require a QB to pull off. It took 2 pick sixes to beat Northwestern with Kato Nelson at the helm under Bowden. We'll need a similar defensive performance to have a shot with the mess of Undercuffler/Irons/Tahj. I wish I could be more confident. 

Edited by Let'sGoZips94
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, zipsrowdy88 said:

Who do we think starts this game? Also, does anyone else think that DJ getting benched hurts this teams ego more than anything else? Not sure DJ is someone who can handle being benched for the second straight time. I do not know his character at all, but a cryptic tweet Saturday night doesn't bode well in my book.

I wish DJ were as good at moving the chains as he is a posting cryptic tweets.

If he isn't mentally tough enough to accept getting benched after some really sub par work, then he's not a D1 QB.

This is big boy football. If you go 4 full quarters without moving the chains whatsoever, against mediocre competition, it's next-man-up.

I would start DJ against Kentucky. He's shown well against P5 teams in the past. If we go 3-and-out repeatedly, or he makes a crippling turnover or two, then we move to Plan B.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, zipsrowdy88 said:

Who do we think starts this game? Also, does anyone else think that DJ getting benched hurts this teams ego more than anything else? Not sure DJ is someone who can handle being benched for the second straight time. I do not know his character at all, but a cryptic tweet Saturday night doesnt bode well in my book.

Undercuffler. At this point he plays. In spite of the INT's which were awful. But, the offense moved when he was in the game. Remember, they were going in for a TD when he threw that last one. When he sees the film he will see he had an open receiver underneath. Give him first team reps. Get him up to game speed. 

IF the coaches think Irons is going to be a distraction, they need to address the QB issue NOW. Name the starter now and stay with him and explain it to the team. Thats the coaches responsibilty. Thats part of being a HEAD coach!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

I wish DJ were as good at moving the chains as he is a posting cryptic tweets.

If he isn't mentally tough enough to accept getting benched after some really sub par work, then he's not a D1 QB.

This is big boy football. If you go 4 full quarters without moving the chains whatsoever, against mediocre competition, it's next-man-up.

I would start DJ against Kentucky. He's shown well against P5 teams in the past. If we go 3-and-out repeatedly, or he makes a crippling turnover or two, then we move to Plan B.

You're right. DJ seems to play his best against the best competition. Auburn, Mich St, and Tennessee were good games from him.

DJI’s only win over last two years was week one against (FCS) Saint Francis in OT..

Two of last three overall wins, Undercuffler at QB..

One conference win since Oct 9, 2021.. who was at QB? Undercuffler.

Team had a real spark in 2Q, moved the chains and didn’t blow up emotionally in 4Q (aka: a different QB v. Temple).

Time to give 13 a real shot, with a true gameplan and full week of practice. Hopefully can get through next two weeks and lead this team into conference play.

Edited by CincyZip86
  • Like 6

If you click on the information @Akron1 provided you can reserve a free slot or two at the UA-Kentucky tailgate. Seems like a no-brainer to stop by if your at the game?

They also have $55 game tickets, which is pretty good. I paid $39 x 2 + $36 in fees for my 2 tix (I bought them before I knew of the UA offer). 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, CincyZip86 said:

DJI’s only win over last two years was week one against (FCS) Saint Francis in OT..

Team had a real spark in 2Q, moved the chains and didn’t blow up emotionally in 4Q (aka: a different QB v. Temple).

Time to give 13 a real shot, with a true gameplan and full week of practice. Hopefully can get through next two weeks and lead this team into conference play.

Undercuffler had a magical 2019 season where he threw 41 tds vs. 10 int’s.

If you drop that statistical anomaly, beginning in 2018 through today, his combined stats are 331 completions on 601 attempts (55%). 24 tds and 23 int’s. That isn’t gonna cut it, and his game last Saturday seems to show he hasn’t shaken his penchant for throwing the ball to the other team with alarming regularity.

Dijon Jennings isn’t the answer, and Wassel isn’t ready. 

I hope the benching of Irons last week was a wake up call, because he’s our best chance to win games when he’s healthy. If he’s not, I’d take our chances with student body left, and student body right. Too bad, because I really like our WR’s.

I’ll be in Lexington on Saturday and support whoever Joe puts under center.

Go Zips!

- Coach knows he needs to get the running backs more touches.

- Wants to see better run blocking by the OL. Some guys have been shuffled and are playing out of their natural position. Hopes to have Keylen Davis and Nate Williams back from injury soon.

- Trying to figure out the quarterback situation.

- Again said WR is the strength of the team and the playmakers are there.

- Spoke highly of the defense and gameplan the DC put together.

- Mentions the 3 freshmen wide receivers as young guys progressing on offense. Kam Cheatom at DE, Melvin Spriggs at LB, and some DBs on defense.

Edited by catdaddyp
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 9/12/2023 at 8:46 AM, CincyZip86 said:

If these two are our best options, and they are, 5 wins is not a realistic expectation. Irons simply doesn't win games and U is a turnover machine that will cause losing when the competition level increases.

QB play is more important than ever. Good QB play is central to winning in 2023. I don't care if that QB is on the team for next year or a transfer to be named later, but Akron can never win with the current quality of QB on the field. 

• Like 2

Game preview from A Sea of Blue: https://www.aseaofblue.com/2023/9/14/23873013/kentucky-football-vs-akron-time-tv-channel-online-stream-predictions-radio

Kentucky and Akron have both been slow to get the running game going and both teams have been penalized quite a bit so far this season. With that said, if Akron can get the passing game cooking early, we may be in this thing. The Wildcats have allowed 70% of passes to be completed so far, with Ball State and EKU putting up an average of 221 yards through the air.

Obviously, UK has the talent advantage at most positions, but I still feel good about where Akron is as far as talent goes. That's the only thing that has helped me talk myself away from the ledge after that near disaster last week. I don't think there's anyone in the program or around the program that doesn't think/know that this team is so much better than they've shown so far. Last year, the St. Francis game was quite a bit like the Morgan State game. Then at Michigan State, the offense really started to open up before the injury and turnovers. But, I was hoping that most issues and rigidness would have been ironed out after Temple and boy was I wrong. 

Crazier things have happened. Go Zips!

• Like 2