game 8 - Notre Dame comes to Cub Cadet Field

Rubbish. 

Zips allowed an inferior side, who looked like that did not even want to be here, lull us into a scoreless draw.

We shot quite a bit; we could have and should have shot 50% more.  

It was there for the taking.

This was the worst ND Irish side I can remember.

Irish had nothing.

Hope this match does not haunt us.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, fknbuflobo said:

Rubbish. 

Zips allowed an inferior side, who looked like that did not even want to be here, lull us into a scoreless draw.

We shot quite a bit; we could have and should have shot 50% more.  

It was there for the taking.

This was the worst ND Irish side I can remember.

Irish had nothing.

Hope this match does not haunt us.

What exactly did you find “rubbish” about the game? Zips played great. Best crowd of the year. Zips owned that game from minute 1. 

If 24 shots and 12 on target is “lulling” then I think you need to take your grumpy ways to a new sport. There’s probably not a team in the country getting 12 shots on target against any ACC team this whole year. 

There is no other sport.  My grumpy ways have been here for multiple decades and will be here for a long time yet.  You want to be a cheerleader?  Get some Pom poms.  Rubbish is failing to beat an inferior opponent who offered no serious threat, on your home pitch.   Zips need to be more clinical in dispatching weaker opponents.  12 SOG is good, but only if one scores.  There was opportunity to shoot even more, and Zips should have shelled the ND goal relentlessly.  We squandered too many chances and we were sloppy.  Not.  Good.  Enough.

Go Zips!

32 minutes ago, fknbuflobo said:

There is no other sport.  My grumpy ways have been here for multiple decades and will be here for a long time yet.  You want to be a cheerleader?  Get some Pom poms.  Rubbish is failing to beat an inferior opponent who offered no serious threat, on your home pitch.   Zips need to be more clinical in dispatching weaker opponents.  12 SOG is good, but only if one scores.  There was opportunity to shoot even more, and Zips should have shelled the ND goal relentlessly.  We squandered too many chances and we were sloppy.  Not.  Good.  Enough.

Go Zips!

My friend, who knows much more soccer than me, said Akron passed on a handful of opportunities for shots.

Another guy in the crowd shouted a few times, "Stop playing hot potato (with the ball) and shoot!"

We controlled 99% of that match. It's a shame we couldn't punch one in.

• Like 1

More so than American football , possession time is not always an indicator of the result, The Zips were very methodical with the ball in the second half, O.K.  Maybe a quicker approach in ND's end of the field would have gotten us a win. The methodical approach helped give ND's players time to rest, maybe not rest, but move at  slower pace.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, UAZipster0305 said:

I didn't get to watch, but sounds like a game we earned the W, based on shots and corners and all the comments here.

It's a good sign that we are dominating a Top 10 team in such a fashion. Could a second star be on the horizon?!

I was actually up from Georgia and was in Akron for the last 2 games.

Notre Dame lost last week to Michigan State...so Notre Dame dropped from 10 to number 15 in the coaches rankings.   Based on what I saw last night, Notre Dame is not a top 25 team.    Vermont was a much better team than Notre Dame

I sat at last night's game with a Notre Dame Graduate.  The Notre Dame graduate said this is the worst Notre Dame team that he has ever seen.  The Notre Dame grad predicts that Notre Dame will not make the NCAA tournament.  My friend has been following Notre Dame soccer since the early 80's.

Some of the comments make it sound like the Notre Dame  goal keeper stood on his head and made some fabulous saves.   Many of his 12 saves were on headers when the zips player was a good distance from the goal.   The GK easily handled the headers  from a far distance.   The Zips probably had 4 very good shots.  1)  Jonas Buechte fired off a rocket from a great distance and the GK got a hand on it before it went in the top of the goal.  The GK punched it over the top of the goal. ; 2) Fitz made a great run and fired off a shot that the Gk punched out into the field ; 3) Malik cut inside and fired off a strong left footed shot that the GK could only punch back into the field. ; There was a 4th but I have been driving all day...so, I am drawing a blank.   I think it was probably a Shooky opportunity in the first half.

The GK did not stand on his head.      Hopefully, if the zips keep firing strong shots like 2 and 3 above  , the zips will be able to get a lot of goals off rebounds.     Both 2 and 3 were almost direct shots at the GK but the zips were not ready to pounce on the rebound.    

I do like the 3 man back line.  Daragh Reilly played well last night.   However, I also really like Ashton Kamdem.     Ashton got no minutes last night(I do not know if he was injured). Joel, Jonas and Daragh have done well as a 3 man back line .  Perhaps, Ashton can get some minutes as a  left outside midfielder.    

Like all Zips fans, I am really hoping that Dyson Clapier can return very soon.  Gyuwon Chong is working very hard to fill some very big shoes but Gyuwon is probably better as a distributor in the middle of the field.   The zips sense of urgency was much stronger in the first half....than it was in the 2nd half.    I kept waiting for a zip to be daring in the 2nd half.....and make a challenging run into the middle of the field and draw 2 defenders to him....but the zips more often opted for the safe pass backward.

After Friday night's very slow start, it was very encouraging to see the bossing the game in the first half.    The 2nd half was played at Notre Dame's pace.   The number 1 team in the country....Marshall is winning games like this 4 -0 ...or 5-0......Based on Notre Dame's skill level, the zips should have won this game 2-0 or 3-0.    Zips should not be happy tieing a team that is inferior to them

• Like 2

Some random thoughts on the ND tie soccer match:

• The Zips were the better team. Flat out, no discussion.
  • The Zips were prepared and the coaching staff selected a good team to put on the pitch.
  • UA suffered a disgusting tie because they did not capitalize on numerous scoring chances in the first half.
  • ND pressed hard, but so also did the Zips. Akron repeatedly won the ball back with its press. The transition from press to attack was beautiful in the first half.
  • The crowd was a thing of beauty. I was disappointed at its size at kickoff, but it just kept growing and growing. The students did a nice job of eventually filling the hill. 
  • The second half started like ND wanted to play. They attacked and had the better part of possession for the first 5 minutes. Akron counter-attacked after that and ND parked the bus in front of its goal. ND hoped to play for the rare counter that would catch the Zips by surprise and yield a goal. That wasn't going to happen. 
  • A friend of mine said at 7:00 in the second half "they are playing for a tie." I replied that can't be, they are supposed to be better than that. I was wrong.
  • Shame on the ND coaching staff for hunkering down. The are supposed to respect the game more than that. They clearly wanted to protect their under-achieving record and bloated reputation.
  • I couldn't agree more with the opinions offered earlier that the Zips should have taken more chances on attack and taken more shots. They seemed to want the perfect opportunity rather than taking what was given. The ball takes weird bounces in the box and Akron will not get them if they don't shoot.
  • This was a good game to show the Zips they are an exceptional team if they come to play. We have the potential to go deep in the playoffs and the better competition in the Big East will get us ready for it.
  • It's OK to believe. This team can get better and it can do it.
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, TennZip said:

I was actually up from Georgia and was in Akron for the last 2 games.

Notre Dame lost last week to Michigan State...so Notre Dame dropped from 10 to number 15 in the coaches rankings.   Based on what I saw last night, Notre Dame is not a top 25 team.    Vermont was a much better team than Notre Dame

I sat at last night's game with a Notre Dame Graduate.  The Notre Dame graduate said this is the worst Notre Dame team that he has ever seen.  The Notre Dame grad predicts that Notre Dame will not make the NCAA tournament.  My friend has been following Notre Dame soccer since the early 80's.

Some of the comments make it sound like the Notre Dame  goal keeper stood on his head and made some fabulous saves.   Many of his 12 saves were on headers when the zips player was a good distance from the goal.   The GK easily handled the headers  from a far distance.   The Zips probably had 4 very good shots.  1)  Jonas Buechte fired off a rocket from a great distance and the GK got a hand on it before it went in the top of the goal.  The GK punched it over the top of the goal. ; 2) Fitz made a great run and fired off a shot that the Gk punched out into the field ; 3) Malik cut inside and fired off a strong left footed shot that the GK could only punch back into the field. ; There was a 4th but I have been driving all day...so, I am drawing a blank.   I think it was probably a Shooky opportunity in the first half.

The GK did not stand on his head.      Hopefully, if the zips keep firing strong shots like 2 and 3 above  , the zips will be able to get a lot of goals off rebounds.     Both 2 and 3 were almost direct shots at the GK but the zips were not ready to pounce on the rebound.    

I do like the 3 man back line.  Daragh Reilly played well last night.   However, I also really like Ashton Kamdem.     Ashton got no minutes last night(I do not know if he was injured). Joel, Jonas and Daragh have done well as a 3 man back line .  Perhaps, Ashton can get some minutes as a  left outside midfielder.    

Like all Zips fans, I am really hoping that Dyson Clapier can return very soon.  Gyuwon Chong is working very hard to fill some very big shoes but Gyuwon is probably better as a distributor in the middle of the field.   The zips sense of urgency was much stronger in the first half....than it was in the 2nd half.    I kept waiting for a zip to be daring in the 2nd half.....and make a challenging run into the middle of the field and draw 2 defenders to him....but the zips more often opted for the safe pass backward.

After Friday night's very slow start, it was very encouraging to see the bossing the game in the first half.    The 2nd half was played at Notre Dame's pace.   The number 1 team in the country....Marshall is winning games like this 4 -0 ...or 5-0......Based on Notre Dame's skill level, the zips should have won this game 2-0 or 3-0.    Zips should not be happy tieing a team that is inferior to them

Shooky alone had 4 good opportunities that he scores on most days. How can you say all the saves were from 'headers from far distance'? Shooky had a breakaway, and 2 chances from 6 yards out on corners that the goalkeeper saved. Nano had a shot from outside the box also. Alone, we have mentioned majority of chances and I am sure we are missing some. In fact, I would say we didnt create any header chances in this game. The goalkeeper was outstanding. One of the best performances on Cub Cadet in many years from an opponent. 

With regards Marshalls scores, you have just made them up? They have not been winning 'games like this' 4or5-0. Comparing any ACC team to Oakland and Wright State (the teams they beat by those scores) is crazy. Didnt a bad Akron team beat Wright State 7-0 a few years ago???