Game 5 - Buffalo

ZippyRulz

2 hours ago, GP1 said:

I was going to say something about marathoners being borderline mentally unstable and if a few get run over by a few Zips fans trying to attend a game, nobody would probably care. I won't though because that would be mean and I've tried to move beyond that kind of thinking. 

I imagine some marathoners might think the same thing about Zips football fans. 😉 One thing they both have in common is they need to FINISH. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, LZIp said:

With the game time at noon, maybe we'll draw a better than normal crowd with everyone already downtown for the marathon 

Maybe a handful...I believe the course usually goes through campus. That said, Akron needs the marathon and any other people-drawing fun events they can muster.

• Like 2

We’ll find out in roughly 28 hours if the Zips have truly “arrived”, or if Lucy yanks the ball away yet again.

I think the win over Buffalo on Saturday will be looked back on as the day Zips football turned the corner. 

Now that we have our sea legs under us, and the cadre of portal mercenaries is settling in, I expect us to go on a nice run.

I thought the same thing where went to Huntington and smoked Marshall. And when we beat Northwestern. And when we beat Pitt. Famous last words…but it feels different this time. I think we’re constructed more for the long haul, and not just a flash-in-the-pan. 

See you in lot 9 at 10am! 🥓🍳 🍺 🥃 🦘 🏈 

• Like 6

I'm encouraged by DJ's play at Indiana. He finally looked like his old, pre-injury self again (even though, to me, it still appears his arm is not quite as strong as it was pre-injury).  If this is the DJ we get for the rest of the season we're going to be tough to beat.

Our D is legit.  Love it when a team's identity is led by the defense.  We're some hard-nosed sons of b*tches! 💪💪

• Like 4

I very much want to say I expect Akron to come out tomorrow and put together their first 60-minute game of the season, but I have been so beat down by the close losses and flashes of greatness along with the crushing mistakes and missed opportunities. If Akron can put together a solid 60 minutes, they will win easily. But Buffalo is no slouch, even at 0-4. They've got some nice individual skill players all over the field. And I hate that I have to say that, since this is a game Akron pretty much has to win. But at this point, I've seen Akron lose this game way too many times to get my hopes too high.

The weather is going to be awesome tomorrow, we have a beatable opponent, some momentum from a shoulda been win over a B1G team, and the homecoming game next week. It's time to WIN, damn it!!!

Go Zips!

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, LoyalZIP said:

I very much want to say I expect Akron to come out tomorrow and put together their first 60-minute game of the season, but I have been so beat down by the close losses and flashes of greatness along with the crushing mistakes and missed opportunities.

Amen.  I have high expectations but my NEO sports fan PTSD has triggered that little voice in my head telling me to put on my protective cup for the inevitable kick in the nutz.

On 9/26/2023 at 11:56 AM, ewbrooman1 said:

I imagine some marathoners might think the same thing about Zips football fans. 😉 One thing they both have in common is they need to FINISH. 

A lot of marathoners crap their pants during the race. Let's hope that doesn't, either literally or figuratively, happened to the Zips Saturday. 

3 hours ago, GP1 said:

A lot of marathoners crap their pants during the race. Let's hope that doesn't, either literally or figuratively, happened to the Zips Saturday. 

Been there, done that. Not convinced about the Zips until I see them win a game like Saturday. Still haven't seen the offense establish an 'identity' and ride it week in and week out. Two things that CAN'T happen Saturday, turnovers and undisciplined penalties. That happens UB wins. Otherwise Zip's defense should be able to control field position and give the offense shorter fields. 

• Like 1

Some team stats heading into today’s game. MAC standings in each category in parentheses.

Scoring Offense

Akron = 18.8 (8)

Buffalo = 29.8 (3)

Scoring Defense

Akron = 27.3 (5)

Buffalo = 44.5 (Last)

Yards Per Game Offense

Akron = 315.5 (7)

Buffalo = 353.5 (4)

Yards Per Game Defense

Akron = 329 (4)

Buffalo = 512.3 (Last)

Rushing Yards Per Game Offense

Akron = 97.5 (Last)

Buffalo = 121.0 (8)

Rushing Yards Per Game Defense

Akron = 91.8 (2)

Buffalo = 239.5 (Last)

Passing Yards Per Game Offense

Akron = 218.0 (4)

Buffalo = 232.5 (1)

Passing Yards Per Game Defense

Akron = 237.3 (8)

Buffalo = 272.8 (11)

The rushing stat is a little misleading as we could be much higher if we ran the ball more. We are next to last in rush attempts.

Edited by catdaddyp

17 minutes ago, catdaddyp said:

Some team stats heading into today’s game. MAC standings in each category is in parentheses.

Scoring Offense

Akron = 18.8 (8)

Buffalo = 29.8 (3)

Scoring Defense

Akron = 27.3 (5)

Buffalo = 44.5 (Last)

Yards Per Game Offense

Akron = 315.5 (7)

Buffalo = 353.5 (4)

Yards Per Game Defense

Akron = 329 (4)

Buffalo = 512.3 (Last)

Rushing Yards Per Game Offense

Akron = 97.5 (Last)

Buffalo = 121.0 (8)

Rushing Yards Per Game Defense

Akron = 91.8 (2)

Buffalo = 239.5 (Last)

Passing Yards Per Game Offense

Akron = 218.0 (4)

Buffalo = 232.5 (1)

Passing Yards Per Game Defense

Akron = 237.3 (8)

Buffalo = 272.8 (11)

The rushing stat is a little misleading as we could be much higher if we ran the ball more. We are next to last in rush attempts.

Us being 4th in passing yards on offense is surprising to me considering how bad that’s seemed most of OOC play.  Not to mention we are only 14.5/ypg out of first place.

Edited by LZIp
  • Like 1