2023-2024 Zips Women's Basketball

LoyalZIP

I think with a better record Reagan Bass could have been player of the year. Third leading scorer, leading rebounder, four time MAC player of the week (of course all four were the first four weeks of the season). Definite first teamer but not player of the year. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Transfer Portal Update as of 3/21:

Akron

OUT

• Leila Jones, 5-10 FR shooting guard/wing, Westerville, OH

• Dacia Lewandowski, 5-11 FR point guard, Pittsburgh, PA

• Alexis Stewart, 5-10 SR wing, Hamilton, ON (grad xfer)

• Tahmala Thorpe, 5-4 SR point guard, Mississauga, ON (grad xfer)

• Annie Watson, 6-0 SO forward, Akron, OH

Edited by Copley Don
Formatting

8 hours ago, Copley Don said:

Akron

OUT

Good grief.

I didn't follow the women's team as closely as most, so correct me if I'm wrong, but the freshman we really don't want to lose is Teniesha Clarke, right?

31 minutes ago, Blue & Gold said:

Good grief.

I didn't follow the women's team as closely as most, so correct me if I'm wrong, but the freshman we really don't want to lose is Teniesha Clarke, right?

I had high hopes for Lewandowski. I guess that's out the window now. We need to do some serious backfilling in the portal.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Copley Don said:

Akron

OUT

Jones - not impressed with what little we saw form her in 2023-24

Lwandowski - didn't fit the game structure Coach put in place

Stewart - was not even with the team, on game days, for the first half of the season

Thorpe - Waay too small even for point guard

Watson - place holder on bench since her arrival

Sorry, brutal thoughts, but these will not negatively effect this team going forward.  Makes room for new talent, if Coach can get some to come to Akron.

• Like 3

Give Bass some help!!! That should be the main goal to get her to a tournament in her senior year. She deserves the love and support that the men get but she can’t win by herself (most people can’t). Especially if the men are focused on developing a younger core it’d be a great opportunity for the women’s team to go all in and capitalize on the success of women’s college basketball the last few years! 

12 minutes ago, csims0917 said:

Give Bass some help!!! That should be the main goal to get her to a tournament in her senior year. She deserves the love and support that the men get but she can’t win by herself (most people can’t). Especially if the men are focused on developing a younger core it’d be a great opportunity for the women’s team to go all in and capitalize on the success of women’s college basketball the last few years! 

I really hope that happens, but I wouldn't be surprised if she enters the portal. I'd hate to see her go, but she deserves to go out as a winner and that will be tough to do here next season unfortunately.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, csims0917 said:

Not possible.  Why, She entered the Transfer Portal.

8 hours ago, ZZZips said:

Not possible.  Why, She entered the Transfer Portal.

She is rumored to be headed to YSU and getting NIL money too.

On 3/22/2024 at 12:15 AM, Copley Don said:

Akron

OUT

• Reagan Bass, 6-1 JR forward, Strongsville, OH

• Olivia Brown, 5-7 FR point guard, Fishers, IN

So, according to the rumor, they're losing their best player to a 14-18 Horizon League team? I can't imagine there's more NIL money at YSU.  it must be the Jackson connection at play.  It's a damn shame, she was a great representative of the university.  It certainly doesn't look good for the program if that's where she's headed.

Edited by clarkwgriswold

3 hours ago, ewbrooman1 said:

I would hope she does better than YSU academically and in basketball terms, no offense to Coach Jackson.

Going to YSU is in a big part because of M. Jackson, but make no mistake NIL dollars are involved and they are not insignificant. Yes she can do better, but apparently the NIL dollars are not there like at YSU. Stay tuned. We are rebuilding after a rebuilding year. 

Not the optimal situation, losing 5 players (plus 2 senior transfers). But Gensler was hired at the end of march last year and they had a baby in early/mid april so not much of a recruiting class.  I believe he's been working on recruiting/transfers since our season ended so hoping its more successfull this year

1 hour ago, BlueGold Zip said:

Not the optimal situation, losing 5 players (plus 2 senior transfers). But Gensler was hired at the end of march last year and they had a baby in early/mid april so not much of a recruiting class.  I believe he's been working on recruiting/transfers since our season ended so hoping its more successfull this year

I certainly hope he has been working on it. He was hired a bit late last year, but that should only have affected this year's team. He's had plenty of time to get a recruiting class for next season - if he had more than the one scholarship for Clark. Since most top kids have probably already committed for next season, it looks like a lot of portal players again.

People have to remember, all the freshmen in the portal were not Gensler recruits. They were Jackson recruits. Would not surprise me if more than Bass ends up at YSU. 

The real question here...

Does the Akron - YSU series continue on the women's side? Next year's rotation is supposed to be @ Akron 😬

I know the college landscape has changed, but when there's a coaching change, I normally look at the 1st year for the head coach as Year 0 (it might have been here or somewhere else I heard that, but I agree with that) whether it's high school or college. 

• Like 2

FWIW, Groce had similar situation in year 1 going into year 2. Felt like he was hired later than usual, KD took a lot of the team with him - current players and HS recruits - and Groce was left scrambling to fill scholarships in year 1. Because of that, we had significant turnover going into year 2 as well. Hoping Gensler finds his foundational players. Year 2 may be disappointing again, but in year 3 we should start seeing noticeable improvement if this is going to be a success.

• Like 4