2023-24 MAC & CBB Season

Let'sGoZips94

1 hour ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

No doubt, but right now we're slotted into a 13 seed by pretty much every bracketologist. Assuming we get JMU and handle our business in the MAC (including winning the 3 in Cleveland), you'd be looking at a 10-11 seed at worst anyways. Actually, if we draw JMU and beat JMU, assuming we hold serve in the MAC, we would probably starting getting votes then with only 4 losses, all to respectable opponents, and 3/4 losses being without Ali Ali.

JMU -- right now -- would be a tier 1-2 road win, but JMU needs to keep winning the help the Zips before they play them, and JMU has struggled a bit lately (dropping out of Top 25).

2 hours ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

No doubt, but right now we're slotted into a 13 seed by pretty much every bracketologist. Assuming we get JMU and handle our business in the MAC (including winning the 3 in Cleveland), you'd be looking at a 10-11 seed at worst anyways. Actually, if we draw JMU and beat JMU, assuming we hold serve in the MAC, we would probably starting getting votes then with only 4 losses, all to respectable opponents, and 3/4 losses being without Ali Ali.

No one outside of our little bubble has much of an idea who Ali is and that we didn't have him/have him now, unfortunately 

12 minutes ago, zippy5 said:

No one outside of our little bubble has much of an idea who Ali is and that we didn't have him/have him now, unfortunately 

Out of all the cases of eligibility being denied by the NCAA, Jay Bilas chose to tweet about a select few, including multiple individual tweets about Ali Ali specifically. Other national guys followed suit. When the magnifying glasses come out to take a closer look at the potential March Cinderellas, Akron will very much be a focus assuming we continue to take care of business.

30 minutes ago, Illini Zip said:

Stay with me please. So if you beat a very good team and they lose a bunch of players and end up tanking. That will be a less impressive win come Selection Sunday?

Correct. For example, Drake is now in the 40s for Net, so our record vs. Quad 1 is now 0-2. Bradley was Quad 3 for a bit, but we are now 1-2 vs. Quad 2 thanks to their move up the ranks. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

Correct. For example, Drake is now in the 40s for Net, so our record vs. Quad 1 is now 0-2. Bradley was Quad 3 for a bit, but we are now 1-2 vs. Quad 2 thanks to their move up the ranks. 

Thank you both. Don’t know why that was tripping me up. 👍

4 hours ago, Illini Zip said:

Stay with me please. So if you beat a very good team and they lose a bunch of players and end up tanking. That will be a less impressive win come Selection Sunday?

The selection process is still done by the committee. It's not like they take NET 1-4 and make them the 4, 1 seeds. Then make 5-8 NET teams the 2 seeds and so on. The NET rankings are just a tool they use. They still take other things into account, like injuries.

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Reslife4Life said:

Predictions:

Akron 85 - JMU 62

Toledo 141 - App St 73

BG 181 -  Louisiana 125

Kent 184 - Troy 152

Ohio 194 - Southern miss 221

WMU 268 - Georgia Southern 315

For context, I've added the current Net Rankings for each matchup to your post. The Sun Belt is getting the raw end of the deal, as they are risking their top 3 programs - Net ranking wise - against significantly lesser opponents (outside of Akron). The MAC blows.

This video just popped up on my youtube recommend. How crazy is it that this video has 2 teammates from BEFORE covid and are still playing together at the same school. A great testament to Akron's culture 

Ali needs to be the next Papa Johns Sub of the Game and use the clip of him saying its his favorite pizza

Edited by Reslife4Life
pizza
  • Like 5

4 hours ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

For context, I've added the current Net Rankings for each matchup to your post. The Sun Belt is getting the raw end of the deal, as they are risking their top 3 programs - Net ranking wise - against significantly lesser opponents (outside of Akron). The MAC blows.

before I read your post I was reading this as your predicted scores and the fact that you had WMU losing 315-268 had me dying

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Sergeant Zip said:

It wasn't the last shot but:  McNeese State being down 1 and missing both FTs.  then the Corpus Christi guy making one of two to give them a 2 point lead and THEN the Corpus Christi guy, thinking they were up by 3, deliberately fouling McNeese guy and sending him to line for 2.  The good FT shooter for McNeese makes one, misses the next, scramble for rebound and McNeese gets a hoop.

• Like 2

Kent just went to the line twice in 5 seconds with 30 seconds left in the game after a pee poor call on a clean block (tied the game with a free throw) and a phantom foul on a loose ball of the 2nd missed free throw. Payton had his first two free throw attempts (he was the one fouled on the loose ball) with 30 seconds to go in the game and proceeded to miss both. 

Tied at 74 all heading to OT.