Games 4, 5 & 6- Cayman Islands Classic Basketball Tournament

clarkwgriswold

4 minutes ago, monrowe said:

JG teams have overachieved since he’s been at Akron.The best player on the team is a walk on.The problem with Akron is strength & conditioning along with recruiting a serviceable big.The Zips run out of gas to oftentimes like yesterday and tonight.

Of all the things wrong with these last two days, you fail to make a single point that has any relevance. Overachieved? What does that mean?

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, monrowe said:

JG teams have overachieved since he’s been at Akron.The best player on the team is a walk on.The problem with Akron is strength & conditioning along with recruiting a serviceable big.The Zips run out of gas to oftentimes like yesterday and tonight.

If winning a MAC championship is overachieving, that's good enough for me

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, monrowe said:

All of the above is true ... what is scary is, so far, when Freeman is not a double-double the rest of the team suddenly looks very ordinary. Even w/Ali ... a look into the future shows the Zips not only need a solid post player, but a true PF that can both score and rebound as well as a go-to guard. Groce has proven he can find quality guards, so no problem there. But a ready to play PF and and post man -- both in the same class -- might be a lot to ask, based on recent history.

But that's down the road. Get Ali in the mix this season and the Zips probably make a jump no other team in the league can match.

Yet based on early-November MAC results I would stack the MAC like this:

Toledo

Northern Illinois

'Akron

Kent

Ohio

then everybody else.

That's based not just on record, but how teams have looked in their WORST games, not just their best. I give Zips the edge over Kent.  While Kent has not had a true blowout loss, it has already shown it can give a game away, which might be even worse than a blowout loss.

Bandaogo was the Zips next big man up and he opted to transfer.  I suspect he didn't want to be a backup to the best big man in the MAC.  Baker is the next one up and could really be a good one but apparently he was not ready and decided to red shirt.  I have to trust Groce on that one.

The Zips are fortunate to have the best big man in the MAC, a league that has trouble attracting quality big men. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said:

Bandaogo was the Zips next big man up and he opted to transfer.  I suspect he didn't want to be a backup to the best big man in the MAC.  Baker is the next one up and could really be a good one but apparently he was not ready and decided to red shirt.  I have to trust Groce on that one.

The Zips are fortunate to have the best big man in the MAC, a league that has trouble attracting quality big men. 

The MAC has had some interesting big men during Groce's tenure at Akron: The big kid during Buffalo's run was actually a sixth man ... Toledo has had a couple of solid bigs, actually three, who were more face-up post players than bangers ... Ohio had Wilson ... Kent had Jimmy Hall, DeLarosa, Pippen, now Payton and each of those guys is different. Eastern had that real good post guy but not much around him ...

I guess the key is to find a guy you can put the right pieces with to be successful. Bandaogo and Freeman did not gel together because, IMO, both were (1) young and (2) both post players. I'm guessing Freeman would much easier be a 4-man now than earlier in his career.

Whatever, ..... the portal should make it easier for a coach with Groce's success to find what the Zips need.

I think this is a bit of a flawed roster and it has some odd construction.

Of the 8 players in the current rotation, 5 are guards (Tribble, T. Johnson, N. Johnson, Scott, Thornton), one is a true wing (Dawson), one is a stretch big who is allergic to the paint (Hunter), and one is our star big (Freeman).

Of the remaining scholarship players, one is in transfer limbo (Ali), one isn't trusted to be out there right now (Lyles), one has apparently had an assortment of injuries (Prather), and two are redshirting (Baker, MMK). 

I would've added another big instead of getting both Thornton and Scott, but it is what it is now. I still think that, with Ali, this team could be really good. I just don't think they'll come without flaws that I'm not sure can be corrected easily.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, RoyalBlu said:

The MAC has had some interesting big men during Groce's tenure at Akron: The big kid during Buffalo's run was actually a sixth man ... Toledo has had a couple of solid bigs, actually three, who were more face-up post players than bangers ... Ohio had Wilson ... Kent had Jimmy Hall, DeLarosa, Pippen, now Payton and each of those guys is different. Eastern had that real good post guy but not much around him ...

I guess the key is to find a guy you can put the right pieces with to be successful. Bandaogo and Freeman did not gel together because, IMO, both were (1) young and (2) both post players. I'm guessing Freeman would much easier be a 4-man now than earlier in his career.

Whatever, ..... the portal should make it easier for a coach with Groce's success to find what the Zips need.

Sorry ... What I didn't mention is most of those guys (Wilson, Shumate and one other at Toledo, Hall, DeLarosa, Payton) were/are all transfers. So those guys are out there if you can find one that fits what you want. BG, Toledo, WMU, EMU just to name four all have transfer bigs this season.

The tournament results were certainly disappointing but not all is lost.  Here are the Zips early season tournament results since 2018:

2018-  Caymans- 1-2

2019-  DC Hoops Fest- 1-1

2020-  None

2021-  Gulf Coast Showcase- 1-2

2022- Caymans- 1-2

2023- Caymans- 1-2

We'd all love to see them win these tournaments but I think the better view, based upon the past, is to look at them as prep for the rest of the season.

• Like 2