Game 9- Northern Kentucky

clarkwgriswold

The Zips head to Highland Heights, Kentucky Saturday to face the Norse Men of Northern Kentucky.  NKU has represented the Horizon League in the NCAA tournament in 3 of the last 5 years.  They are 5-3 heading into a Wednesday night game against Illinois State.

NKU was picked to finish atop the Horizon League standings for the second year in a row and Marques Warrick (1st team) and Sam Vinson (2nd team) were All-League selections.  Warrick is a 6'2" senior gaurd and is averaging 18.2 ppg. Vinson is a 6'5" junior guard and is averaging 15.9 ppg and 4.9 rpg.  The team averages 72.3 ppg.  They have won 5 of their last 6 games.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I like the overall talent of this team other than big man depth, but one thing they seriously lack is a second "go to" guy.   They really need a guy other than Enrique that can be relied upon in the clutch to get an important basket.  You need that end of the game guy that can get his shot and a big man is not usually that guy.  Outside of Enrique right now everyone else is a complimentary player.

• Like 5

47 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said:

I like the overall talent of this team other than big man depth, but one thing they seriously lack is a second "go to" guy.   They really need a guy other than Enrique that can be relied upon in the clutch to get an important basket.  You need that end of the game guy that can get his shot and a big man is not usually that guy.  Outside of Enrique right now everyone else is a complimentary player.

The plan was for Ali to be that guy.  Barring a change in his status, we need to move to plan B.  It may be a matter of seeing who, if anyone, steps up to fill that role as we move through the season.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, zipsrule said:

The plan was for Ali to be that guy.  Barring a change in his status, we need to move to plan B.  It may be a matter of seeing who, if anyone, steps up to fill that role as we move through the season.

I hope it wasn't "the plan."  The plan should not have been dependent upon a guy you weren't certain would be eligible.  A hope maybe but the plan should have been to be without him and if he played then it's an added bonus.  

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said:

I hope it wasn't "the plan."  The plan should not have been dependent upon a guy you weren't certain would be eligible.  A hope maybe but the plan should have been to be without him and if he played then it's an added bonus.  

Good point.

2 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said:

Maybe they have that guy and just need to give him the green light, but I am starting to worry when we are already 8 games in.

I think last night we saw some glimpses in the second half. The trick is finding someone to do it consistently.

1 hour ago, clarkwgriswold said:

It was absolutely the plan. Ali Ali would've covered the team as they figure out the backcourt. That's the biggest deficiency on the team. Lack of scoring, lack of assists, and a higher turnover rate is not a backcourt recipe for successful college basketball. 

X2.0 took a bit to figure it out in 2021-22. It wasn't until the 2nd half of the MAC season that he began to step up as a go to scorer. Ali Ali helped cover for him prior to that time period. 

Scott & Thornton stepped up a little bit last night, but it wasn't a floor general type effort. Scott was borderline invisible on the stat sheet, but he was visibly productive and didn't turn the ball over. Thornton had 3-1 assists to turnovers, 6 pts, and 4 rebounds. These are steps in the right direction.

I think Prather could be a key to unlocking the offense a bit. 6'5" guard that can allegedly shoot. As long as he proves to be a shot maker, that will take the pressure off of Tavari, Thornton, and Scott. Him, Dawson, and Johnson would be quite the formidable 6'5" +/- trio. 

Ali Ali was definitely the plan, though. 

7 hours ago, zipsrule said:

Good point.

In my mind, that guy should be Hunter. But he has no interest in anything other than a 3-pointer. A guy his size w/average to better athleticism should make a killing off Freeman's leftovers, in terms of rebounds and going to the line. Agree w/others who note Zips look very ordinary unless Freeman is dominant.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RoyalBlu said:

In my mind, that guy should be Hunter. But he has no interest in anything other than a 3-pointer. A guy his size w/average to better athleticism should make a killing off Freeman's leftovers, in terms of rebounds and going to the line. Agree w/others who note Zips look very ordinary unless Freeman is dominant.

I thought he played pretty well inside vs Bradley. It was one of his stronger performances. 

• Like 2

I think at this point we have what we have.  I guess there's a chance that a young guy like Nate will mature into a starring role or it will suddenly click for a guy like Scott, but I think those scenarios are unlikely after 8 games.  I like Sammy but he's not an every night star.   At 6'9" he's averaging only 3 rebounds a game and is content to survive on the perimeter.  At this juncture, I think we just need to hope someone steps up to take that "second man" role every night rather than have one guy we can depend on to do it.

• Like 2