Akron Zips Basketball All-Time Leaders

Zippy87

2 hours ago, Zippy87 said:

If Akron reaches the MAC Championship, I believe we'd have 23 games left. Going by season averages, Freeman would add 414 points and 299 rebounds, which would place him 4th all-time in points and 1st in rebounds.

A walk on might end up top 5 in scoring and all time leading rebounder. Unbelievable. 

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Blue & Gold said:

Wish I had seen Eric McLaughlin play.

He was one of the best. His quickness and speed have not been matched since his playing days at UA. He handled the ball w/o have TO's. He could drive and had a good shot. He came at he right time and Huggins put him on a good team that he, or they, complimented each other very well. You would have enjoyed watching him play.   

• Like 3

10 hours ago, 72 Roo said:

He was one of the best. His quickness and speed have not been matched since his playing days at UA. He handled the ball w/o have TO's. He could drive and had a good shot. He came at he right time and Huggins put him on a good team that he, or they, complimented each other very well. You would have enjoyed watching him play.   

I wonder if he has any eligibility left.  We could sure use his guard play now!  Maybe claim and extra COVID year?

• Haha 5

19 hours ago, Blue & Gold said:

Wish I had seen Eric McLaughlin play.

The Cricket was the most underrated Zip of all time.  He had the best handles I have ever seen in the JAR and when they played those great Cleveland State teams, he gave Mouse all he could handle.  I'm glad you brought him up in this thread.  He was the purest PG I ever saw in the blue and gold.    

• Like 4

On 12/24/2023 at 9:29 AM, Captain Kangaroo said:

Can you be underrated and have your jersey in the rafters?

I think so.  He seldom gets mentioned and I think a lot of Zips fans do not realize how great he was or even that he was.  Also, the way our AD is taking down banners of past coaches and all the Zips HOF photos in the JAR who knows how long any of those banners have.    

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Zip JD said:

I think so.  He seldom gets mentioned and I think a lot of Zips fans do not realize how great he was or even that he was.  Also, the way our AD is taking down banners of past coaches and all the Zips HOF photos in the JAR who knows how long any of those banners have.    

He's what?

2 hours ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

Should put the Dambrot one in the SVSM gym.

John Groce never takes the Akron job if KD doesn't first build it into a perennial MAC power. I get people that were ready to move on, but I also can tell the people who don't remember (or choose not to remember) Zips basketball pre-KD. I'll never understand hating on him.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Reslife4Life said:

The Dambrot and Jodi Kest posters were taken down, most likely because they did not match the rebranding, that was the beginning of last year and they haven’t been replaced

Huggins and Wyatt Webb are down as well (I'm talking about the 4 large banners that used to be in the corners of the JAR not the ones in the rafters).  Also, all of the photos of Zips Athletics Hall of Fame by the exit are gone, all of them.  Instead, they put up a TV that usually shows one photo of the football team and one of Enrique.  It has a real "I'm only concerned with the future and what I build not the past" vibe to it.   

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Zippy87 said:

John Groce never takes the Akron job if KD doesn't first build it into a perennial MAC power. I get people that were ready to move on, but I also can tell the people who don't remember (or choose not to remember) Zips basketball pre-KD. I'll never understand hating on him.

I was simply saying the banner belonged in SVSM's gym because he chooses to play a "home" game there annually.

7 minutes ago, Zip JD said:

Huggins and Wyatt Webb are down as well (I'm talking about the 4 large banners that used to be in the corners of the JAR not the ones in the rafters).  Also, all of the photos of Zips Athletics Hall of Fame by the exit are gone, all of them.  Instead, they put up a TV that usually shows one photo of the football team and one of Enrique.  It has a real "I'm only concerned with the future and what I build not the past" vibe to it.   

Interesting. I wonder if there's a bigger plan. 

2 hours ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

I was simply saying the banner belonged in SVSM's gym because he chooses to play a "home" game there annually.

Interesting. I wonder if there's a bigger plan. 

I hope so.  Faded, torn blue carpet is not the way to go.  I know money is lacking especially in the era of NIL, but the JAR is a dump.  

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Zip JD said:

I won't jump to conclusions but I really hope this is just a temporary situation. The history of the program is important for both fans and players to be aware of and appreciated.

3 hours ago, Zippy87 said:

I won't jump to conclusions but I really hope this is just a temporary situation. The history of the program is important for both fans and players to be aware of and appreciated.

I hope so.  They were down last year as well.  Also, no Taylor Made or Summa ball toss, no $10K putt at halftime, no Tim Miller sponsored 3 Pointers (that has been gone for a while), no Gionino's T shirt toss, no strong sponsorship presence at all.  

• Like 3