Game 17- Western Michigan

The 6-9 Broncos of Western Michigan come to the JAR Tuesday night to face the Zips.  They are undefeated in the MAC with wins over Miami, NIU and Buffalo going into today's game against Ohio.  Temps could be in single digits for the walk in and out of the JAR.

6'4" sophomore guard Seth Hubbard leads scoring a 16.5 ppg.  7'0" sophomore center Javonte Brown cred 15.5 while adding  5-5 rpg, but hasn't played since December 16th. 6'9" junior forward Owen Obsinger leads rebounding at 6.3 rpg.  

Edited by clarkwgriswold
  • Thanks 1

• clarkwgriswold changed the title to Game 17- Western Michigan
14 minutes ago, LoyalZIP said:

Man Clark is struggling this year!

20 minutes ago, NWAkron said:

Either you or Coach Groce is having a senior moment.  Groce said after the game that an undefeated Bronco team is galloping into the JAR on Tuesday.

Amen.  Out of town+ screaming grandkids+ limited intellect= clarkie confusion.

I've now done that twice (2/17, sounds like Buffalo's 3 point rate), both times in NYC!

• Like 1

Western looked good but Ohio lost Elmore James early with an injury and also had tons of foul trouble.  That being said, WMU will be coming to the JAR with confidence.  and to state the utterly obvious, Zips can't do what they did last night and expect another easy win.

Edited by NWAkron
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, kreed5120 said:

I still cant take WMU seriously. Good on them for getting to 4-0, but I feel it's more of a testament of how bad the rest of the MAC is. Someone has to win these 200+ vs 200+ match-ups

Western might be good, but I'm not sure we really know that based on these four wins.  Those wins are against teams that are a combine 4-12 in MAC play.

Tuesday should give us some indication.

From the MAC Stats:

Team stats:

Akron is 5th in PPG (77.1); 1st in PPG surrendered (65.6)

2nd in field goal percentage; 2nd in opponent FG%

5th in team 3-point FG%; 2nd in opponent 3 point FG% 

5th in free throw shooting percentage

4th in rebounds per game; second in opponent rebounds surrendered; last in offensive rebounds; 3rd in defensive rebounds; 1st in rebounding margin

4th in turnover margin; 3rd in turnover ratio

9th in blocked shots; 2nd in assists

Individual stats (in top 25 in MAC):

Freeman- 5th in scoring; 1st in rebounding; 2nd in FG%; 24th in FT%; 4th in blocks; 10th in minutes played

Tribble- 11th in FG%; 2nd in FT%; 15th in APG

Nate Johnson- 19th in FG%; 8th in 3PFG%; 9th in steals

Hunter- 16th in 3PFG%

Thornton- 7th in APG; 1st in assist/turnover ratio; 13th in steals

Dawson- 24th in steals

Ali is not in the stats.  I suspect that he hasn't played enough total games. 

This all tells me, not surprisingly, that these Zips are winning with defense first.

Edited by clarkwgriswold
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

We've had some kids come through the program over the years that have made major progress from the time they came to the time they left.  Jimond Ivey is one that immediately comes to mind.  Tribble has grown as much or more as a player and team leader as any of them.

• Like 6

48 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said:

We've had some kids come through the program over the years that have made major progress from the time they came to the time they left.  Jimond Ivey is one that immediately comes to mind.  Tribble has grown as much or more as a player and team leader as any of them.

I think the biggest leap in his play has come this year, especially since Ali has joined the team.  Having that 2nd scorer has opened up the lane for Tribble and his floater and now he has found an outside shot.  For those that are down on Tavari, remember he is only is his 2nd year so I hope he stays  with the program and I believe he could also have a great future with Akron.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, 1981 grad said:

For those that are down on Tavari, remember he is only is his 2nd year so I hope he stays  with the program and I believe he could also have a great future with Akron.

I agree, personally I was just disappointed he didn’t make an immediate impact. One of these point guard recruits is going to come in and take the reins from day one (like Freeman in the post). Maybe Sharron Young will be that guy. He already looks strong enough to handle the college level. But Tavari is still on pace with LCJ and Castaneda to have a stellar career. 

• Like 2

Some tidbits from the WMU game preview:

* WMU is riding a five-game winning streak, Western Michigan heads to Akron for a battle between two of the MAC's three teams who remain undefeated in league play.
* WMU is 4-0 in the MAC for the first time since the 2004-05 campaign when it won its first six conference games.
* B. Artis White is averaging 18.8 points and 5.4 assists during the winning streak.
* Through four conference games, WMU is leading the MAC in scoring at 85.3 PPG.
* Akron leads the all-time series between the two programs, 38-31.
* The Zips are 21-5 at home against the Broncos, with WMU's last road win in the series coming back on Jan. 3, 2004.  

* Western Michigan was dominant on the glass on Saturday as it enjoyed a 46-29 edge in rebounding against Ohio, marking the seventh straight game the Broncos have won the rebounding battle. During this run, WMU has risen to second in the MAC in overall rebounding (38.1) and tied for second in rebounding margin (+3.3). The Brown and Gold also sits atop the conference in offensive rebounding for the second consecutive season at 12.5 per game. 

* Akron holds a 38-21 advantage in the all-time series against Western Michigan and has won eight of the last nine meetings

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said:

Some tidbits from the WMU game preview:

* WMU is riding a five-game winning streak, Western Michigan heads to Akron for a battle between two of the MAC's three teams who remain undefeated in league play.
* WMU is 4-0 in the MAC for the first time since the 2004-05 campaign when it won its first six conference games.
* B. Artis White is averaging 18.8 points and 5.4 assists during the winning streak.
* Through four conference games, WMU is leading the MAC in scoring at 85.3 PPG.
* Akron leads the all-time series between the two programs, 38-31.
* The Zips are 21-5 at home against the Broncos, with WMU's last road win in the series coming back on Jan. 3, 2004.  

* Western Michigan was dominant on the glass on Saturday as it enjoyed a 46-29 edge in rebounding against Ohio, marking the seventh straight game the Broncos have won the rebounding battle. During this run, WMU has risen to second in the MAC in overall rebounding (38.1) and tied for second in rebounding margin (+3.3). The Brown and Gold also sits atop the conference in offensive rebounding for the second consecutive season at 12.5 per game. 

* Akron holds a 38-21 advantage in the all-time series against Western Michigan and has won eight of the last nine meetings

Will be an epic battle.

• Like 1