Game 20- Miami

That Anderson Mirambeaux is mind boggling. He looks like a Center in football, not basketball. And a french fry away from a heart attack. But he has skills and is effective. I know we had interest in him at one point. It will be interesting to see what Groce has to say about him.

3 minutes ago, Illini Zip said:

That Anderson Mirambeaux is mind boggling. He looks like a Center in football, not basketball. And a french fry away from a heart attack. But he has skills and is effective. I know we had interest in him at one point. It will be interesting to see what Groce has to say about him.

He was huge for Cleveland State when they had their little run in the Horizon a few years back.

Ali took 17 shots and was 4 of 13 from 3 point land.  We need to get more players involved with the offense.  I think that Ali forced a couple of those shots.  He scored most of his points from the line.  Need to have our guards penetrate more into the paint and force them to defend like we did in the 2nd half.  I give credit to Miami's defense as we struggled to get open shots.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, clarkwgriswold said:

There always seems to be at least one of these steaming turds in every season.

I just didn't feel good about this one going in.  

Yes, usually when people start getting overly ambitious and talk about seeding or at-large (although not applicable this time), we have one of these humbling losses.

I posted before that it had been 70+ years since the MAC last had an unbeaten team in conference play. Back then there were much fewer conference games than there are today. I like this team, but I don't think they're remotely as good as that Wally Miami team, that Elite 8 PCCC team, or that Buffalo team of a few years back. If those teams couldn't run the table in MAC, why would anyone think this Zips team could?

What's important is that we don't let this snowball. Accept we had a bad night or our opponent played one of there better ones. I didn't watch the game so I can't speak to it. Identify areas of improvement and work to become better.

• Like 5

Feels a lot like the st Bonaventure game, not only because of the ending. But not very balanced scoring, couldn’t get that stop when we needed it. Ali did get us back in the game, but he did force up a few shots he didn’t need. Really want to see Scott get some more shots up. We always hear “it’s tough to win on the road” but on the road against Miami sucks to be one we lose. Eastern has had a tough month but can’t rely on that Tuesday

2 hours ago, zipsrule said:

How very true.

Does anyone else feel like it is time to experiment and get Dawson out of the starting lineup to generate more ball movement and offense?  After he fouled out, Tavari came in and I thought the team played better.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, 1981 grad said:

Does anyone else feel like it is time to experiment and get Dawson out of the starting lineup to generate more ball movement and offense?  After he fouled out, Tavari came in and I thought the team played better.

I too have concerns with Dawson's play. Not sure what the answer is. He seems uncomfortable, stressed or frustrated. Something is just off for him this year. Tavari is slowly progressing, but I'm not sure he should be back as a starter either. 

5 minutes ago, monrowe said:

You can win “em” all.But if you struggle with Miami of Ohio and St. Bonaventure, You might struggle with Kansas State or Creighton come tournament time?Another serviceable big is needed.

It's college basketball, not the NBA. Not like we can go out and make an in season trade to add a missing piece. We have to run with what we got.

• Like 3

You're going to see more and more teams play Enrique Freeman how Miami did. I mentioned it earlier, but bringing the help against Enrique from the weak side is genius and is really going to cause problems for us unless Groce makes adjustments.

The 2010 Akron Men's Soccer team lost to Cleveland State. It refocused them and they won the National Championship that year. Praying this is our Cleveland State. 

40 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

It's college basketball, not the NBA. Not like we can go out and make an in season trade to add a missing piece. We have to run with what we got.

There’s being proactive recruiting and the portal.Name, Image, and Likeness is giving the NCAA pro element.Akron has had more transfers than western union.Akron has to run with what they have because they won’t pony up or can’t pony up?