Game 25- Buffalo

Please rise:

O Canada!
Our home and native land!
True patriot love in all of us command...

The Zips head off to Buffalo after a week off to face the Bulls next Saturday afternoon.  Buffalo comes in at 3-20 fresh off of an overtime win over Georgia Southern in the MAC/SBC Challenge.  The Bulls sole MAC win was over CMU on January 2nd.

6'8" 5th year forward Sy Chatman leads Buffalo scoring at 18.5 ppg (6th in the MAC) and is second in rebounding at 6.5 rpg.  6'9" senior forward Jonnivus Smith leads rebounding at 8.8 rpg (3rd in the MAC).  6'6" senior forward Isaiah Adams averages 13.2 ppg and 3.9.  They are 10th in offense (67.4) and 11th in defense (80.4 ppg) in the MAC.

The Zips beat Buffalo 76-59 at the JAR on January 12th.  Chatman led the Bulls with 23 and 7  

• Thanks 2

I was one of the few people who watched the Buffalo @ NIU game last evening.  Buffalo lost by 4 and was 9 of 22 from the FT line.  Also near the end of the game, an NIU player's shoe slipped off and a Buffalo player threw it into the stands resulting in a technical foul.  Good times.

• Haha 7

Conventional thinking would suggest the Zips come out ready to put the JMU game behind them and clean the floor with Buffalo. Which they very well could. But this is a road game in the MAC so we are likely to follow up a physical game with one where they get called for a foul for breathing on a Buffalo player. Zips by 12, but no Evan Wilson sightings. 

Hopefully it’s a no-nonsense win. Guessing Buffalo makes a game of it for a half+.

Love for someone to ask coach for a latest timeline on Nate Johnson’s return. Would be nice to see this team at full strength for at least a week or two before the tournament.  

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Westie said:

Hopefully it’s a no-nonsense win. Guessing Buffalo makes a game of it for a half+.

Love for someone to ask coach for a latest timeline on Nate Johnson’s return. Would be nice to see this team at full strength for at least a week or two before the tournament.  

Yep, agree, down to the last 7 games. He needs to get re-acclimated and conditioned soon. 

1 hour ago, Illini Zip said:

Yep, agree, down to the last 7 games. He needs to get re-acclimated and conditioned soon. 

Roughly a week ago Groce said Nate was going to have the hard cast removed, with a soft cast replacing it.

There are varying degrees of a "broken hand". I think Nate got a worse one than we'd like.

If he's serviceable by the MAC Tourney I'd be ecstatic. 

Buffalo is a small, young team that wasn't even remotely impressive the last time they played the Zips.

The Zips need to atone for their sorry performance in Virginia last week and take care of business tomorrow. 

Zips by 17. The "WE-want_WIL-son" cheers will unfortunately fall on deaf ears. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

Buffalo is a small, young team that wasn't even remotely impressive the last time they played the Zips. 

Got to admit, this wasn't what I was thinking when I read Clark's intro.

On 2/11/2024 at 12:17 PM, clarkwgriswold said:

6'8" 5th year forward Sy Chatman leads Buffalo scoring at 18.5 ppg (6th in the MAC) and is second in rebounding at 6.5 rpg.  6'9" senior forward Jonnivus Smith leads rebounding at 8.8 rpg (3rd in the MAC).  6'6" senior forward Isaiah Adams averages 13.2 ppg and 3.9.

Hard to believe Buffalo's fall in MAC basketball.  Seems like just yesterday the Zips were facing guys like Justin Moss, CJ Massinburg, Jayvon Graves and many other top notch MAC players for the Bulls.  How quickly things can go south (even for a team from the great white North).  I always enjoyed the rivalry games so I hope they are on their way back.

• Like 1