Game 26- Toledo

The Zips head to Toledo Tuesday hoping to hang on to sole possession of first place in the MAC.  Since playing the Zips, the Rockets have beaten Eastern and OU while losing in double OT to App State in the MAC/Sun Belt Challenge.

6’4’ junior guard Ra’Heim Moss leads the Rockets at 16.4 ppg while also contributing 5.7 rpg.  6’2” junior guard Tyler Cochran is the Rockets’ leading rebounder at 6.8 rpg while contributing 13.5 ppg.  6’2” junior guard Dante Maddox is averaging 15.9 ppg.

Hopefully, the Buffalo game wakes the Zips up.  Toledo at home, with their 4 guard offense, could be quite a challenge for the Zips.

• Thanks 2

A win Tuesday would be a giant leap toward the top seed and the MAC regular season title. Two-game lead with the tiebreaker with five to play.

That said, Zips are going to have to shake the shooting funk and play much better than they have recently. 

Next three are going to be big challenges. 

Does anyone remember Tribble and Freeman indicating that this team has a next level of play?  It seems that their teammates did not get this message.  The last 2 games have been a level in the wrong direction and it has nothing to do with Tribble, Ali or Freeman.  I just have not seen any attempts on offense by Thornton, Scott or Dawson except to shoot and usually miss a shot from the perimeter.  Groce usually has a good eye for high quality guards.  Maybe their defense justifies their time.  Maybe Prather will give them more pressure to perform offensively.  Tuesday should be an interesting game to see who earns the minutes on the floor.  Hopefully the Zips can turn things around.    

This is the point in the season where every team has got a very good scouting report on their opponents. Watching the USO vs Purdue game I saw some similarities between the Boilermakers and the Zips. Dominant big man with a bunch of role players. OSU defended them same way most teams have defended the Zips. Tight pressure on the ball handlers and deny the entry pass inside.  Then send weakside help on the double team. If the big guy finds the open man and he can make the shot it is game over. If the open man is shooting bricks the other team has a chance. Dawson, Thornton and Scott are all members of the bricklayers union.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Hilltopper said:

Dawson, Thornton and Scott are all members of the bricklayers union.

Thornton is a veritable Reggie Miller amongst that crew @ 38%

Hunter 36.7%

Freeman - 35.3%

Tribble - 33.3%

Scott - 30.9%

Ali 29.9%

Dawson - 29.6%

Note - Tavari's 51.3%  leads the team. 💪

I am very interesting to see how Groce approaches this round against the Toledo Floppers. I share in the desire to see Tavari continue to gain playing time, but I also don’t want Freeman spending the whole game on the bench because of foul trouble. Also, let’s see if we learned our lesson and get back on transition defense. 

23 minutes ago, Illini Zip said:

I am very interesting to see how Groce approaches this round against the Toledo Floppers. I share in the desire to see Tavari continue to gain playing time, but I also don’t want Freeman spending the whole game on the bench because of foul trouble. Also, let’s see if we learned our lesson and get back on transition defense. 

Are you saying Tavari getting beat on D is leading to Freeman foul trouble?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Blue & Gold said:

Are you saying Tavari getting beat on D is leading to Freeman foul trouble?

Yes, especially against Toledo. And especially on the road. They seek out the contact with Freeman. All of our guards need to protect him so he can be effective doing his thing. Tavari just happens to get beat off the dribble the most. 

• Like 2

I agree that when a guard gets beat and Freeman is our rim protector it puts pressure on Freeman.  I do not see Tavari getting beat more than our other guards.  I have seen guards used their height and strength to back him into the paint.  I will keep a closer look this game.

11 minutes ago, 1981 grad said:

I agree that when a guard gets beat and Freeman is our rim protector it puts pressure on Freeman.  I do not see Tavari getting beat more than our other guards.  I have seen guards used their height and strength to back him into the paint.  I will keep a closer look this game.

Fair enough. The transition defense was definitely our main issue last game against Toledo, but Tavari was not at all a deterrent. Hopefully, he is improving. We need his offense badly. 

Edited by Illini Zip
  • Like 1

If 5'8" Loren Christian Jackson can play defense without being a liability Tavari should be able to figure it out.  He's had his lapses and he'd prone to getting a little abused due to his stature but it's largely all fixable with effort and concentration.  For a veteran squad they have had too many defensive lapses resulting in easy baskets.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said:

If 5'8" Loren Christian Jackson can play defense without being a liability Tavari should be able to figure it out.  He's had his lapses and he'd prone to getting a little abused due to his stature but it's largely all fixable with effort and concentration.  For a veteran squad they have had too many defensive lapses resulting in easy baskets.

Completely agree. I would add that Tavari needs strength and conditioning more than anything. But I still think getting Freeman in foul trouble is a focal point of Toledo’s strategy. 

Prather had two "hustle plays" that really stood out in the Buffalo game. The latter was a tip-away to stop a Buffalo fast break...he hauled ass down the court and prevented a wide open transition 3. I'm all for giving him minutes and putting some pressure on the guys who've been above him in the pecking order. Or, taking their place.

• Like 4

45 minutes ago, Illini Zip said:

Completely agree. I would add that Tavari needs strength and conditioning more than anything. But I still think getting Freeman in foul trouble is a focal point of Toledo’s strategy. 

Yep, I can see them drawing him out on the floor with Simmons and trying to get him tangled up in pick and rolls and taking it at him on penetration in hopes of drawing fouls.

I'm not getting a good feeling about this one.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, zippy5 said:

Toledo played very bad defense at the JAR. This could be a chance for our shooters to maybe get some confidence with open looks. Fingers crossed. Gulp

Also an opportunity to take advantage of the size advantage on their 4 guard squad.  Their starters are 6'7", 6'2", 6'4", 6'2" and 6'2".  

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said:

Also an opportunity to take advantage of the size advantage on their 4 guard squad.  Their starters are 6'7", 6'2", 6'4", 6'2" and 6'2".  

I said at the time that they're a pretty good matchup for us. No real mismatches on their end.. kinda just a smaller, not as good version of our team. Hopefully the shots start falling again.

6 hours ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

Thornton is a veritable Reggie Miller amongst that crew @ 38%

Hunter 36.7%

Freeman - 35.3%

Tribble - 33.3%

Scott - 30.9%

Ali 29.9%

Dawson - 29.6%

Note - Tavari's 51.3%  leads the team. 💪

Over the last 5 games, Thornton is 2-12 from 3pt range.