Game 29- Northern Illinois

11 minutes ago, Westie said:

If the Zips hang on, am I correct in saying the magic number is 2? Toledo beat OU twice. Zips are 1-1.

A magic number is generally with two teams. OU is still alive as well as Toledo so not as simple as Toledo losing twice. 

4 minutes ago, MDZip said:

A magic number is generally with two teams. OU is still alive as well as Toledo so not as simple as Toledo losing twice. 

Well if we end up tied with OU, they lost to Toledo twice. So we’d win that. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Westie said:

Well if we end up tied with OU, they lost to Toledo twice. So we’d win that. 

Ah good point. I was thinking they were one game behind us not two. So yes I believe you are correct with 2 as the magic number. 

3 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said:

It appeared as though the refs were well short of their season foul quota coming into tonight and tried to make up any deficiency.

Why does it feel like the Zips are the only team in the MAC that doesn't get home cooking?

1 hour ago, akzipper said:

Yikes this is embarrassing. I swear if we lose the one of the worst teams in the MAC, after losing to .500 Ohio. I'm not going to have much hope to the MAC tournament. 

Right now we've lost to the two, three and five seeds. And also beaten the two and three.

1 hour ago, Illini Zip said:

Top 3: Tavari, Tribble, Hunter

Bottom 3: Ali, Dawson, Scott

How many games have we opened with 0 for 8 or 0 for 10 from the 3 line.  Most are open looks based on the triple team of Freeman.  Meanwhile, Tavari who is our best 3 point shooter does not come in until 3 minutes left in the half and drains his only 3 and we do not see him in the 2nd half.  I know that his defense allegedly sucks but this team needs a shooter and there is one thing I do know, stats don't lie.

Edited by 1981 grad

10 minutes ago, 1981 grad said:

How many games have we opened with 0 for 8 or 0 for 10 from the 3 line.  Most are open looks based on the triple team of Freeman.  Meanwhile, Tavari who is our best 3 point shooter does not come in until 3 minutes left in the half and drains his only 3 and we do not see him in the 2nd half.  I know that his defense allegedly sucks but this team needs a shooter and there is one thing I do know, stats don't lie.

Stats play for both sides, though. For every basic 3PM/3PA stat, there's an advanced metric that shows the 3PM might be negated. His minutes right now are going to Prather and Nate. I'm 100% ok with that as we approach Cleveland. 

Came home and watched some of the Toledo/NIU game.  Very similar.  NIU without 3 of their top scorers for both games.    Akron defense had to stop Coit.  Give him some 2s but stop the 3s.   Ali did a good job on him 2nd half.  NIU had a freaky couple games going on adrenaline.   Groce kept his guys fresh and that bit of an edge paid off.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, 1981 grad said:

There's likely a very simple reason for him not being in at those times and for his limited minutes- he's not showing it in practice.  There are obviously other guys on the team team at his position that are showing the staff that they deserve those minutes.  Nobody is replacing Tribble, Scott's a better defender and Thornton far better distributor.   Tavari is certainly the most explosive of the bunch and I like the kid but Groce will put whoever he thinks is best in the moment in the game.  Also, I wouldn't put too much on a 42 shot sample size.  That's two more than Enrique.

Posted (edited)

I heard that in his streak last night Coit looked at Groce and said "that can be me in your uniform next year."  They had a nice banter going all night according to the Beacon.

https://www.beaconjournal.com/story/sports/college/zips/2024/03/03/akron-zips-mens-basketball-northern-illinois-huskies-mac-tournament/72802867007/

The Clarkie Collective will start saving to help Coit come here.  Heck, I'l go get something a little bigger to drive him here that will accommodate that Swiss 7-footer Konan NIederhauser! 

Edited by clarkwgriswold
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, clarkwgriswold said:

I heard that in his streak last night Coit looked at Groce and said "that can be me in your uniform next year."  They had a nice banter going all night according to the Beacon.

https://www.beaconjournal.com/story/sports/college/zips/2024/03/03/akron-zips-mens-basketball-northern-illinois-huskies-mac-tournament/72802867007/

The Clarkie Collective will start saving to help Coit come here.  Heck, I'l go get something a little bigger to drive him here that will accommodate that Swiss 7-footer Konan NIederhauser! 

Wow. 

So Groce was coaching Akron while recruiting AND officiating (the T he gave their player) NIU. Incredible. His agent is going to use that to get him a salary closer to Frank Martin this off season. 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, MDZip said:

Dead on on the bottom three - a little surprised by Ali, top three are Tavari, Nate and Enrique. What doesn't he do well?

When the Zips had a shot clock violation that ended with a high and wide pass to Scott on the baseline and the buzzer went off and then Scott shot,,,,,,, anybody else have a feeling of certainty that would be the 3 pointer he would hit.  Never fails.  

• Like 1

16 hours ago, LZIp said:

Sloppy beginning and sloppy ending 

I felt bad for Thorn getting pulled on Senior Night in crunch time for missing two foul shots, BADLY, but he left Groce no choice.  One shot was wide right and the other barely hit the rim.  That does not build confidence for Cleveland minutes in a close game.  Tavari's defense (or the lack of it) puts him in the same boat.  I'm just glad Nate is working his way back in the rotation and Prather is putting himself in the mix.

6 hours ago, clarkwgriswold said:

Coit would be a welcome addition here. Go get him, Groce!