2024 NCAA Tournament

1 hour ago, Blue & Gold said:

Honestly, last year was really our year.  Ali wasn't supposed to transfer out, Dawson wasn't supposed to get injured, and X2.0 running the show. That team would have been amazing 🫤

2020 was our year. That team had it all. Last year would've been our next best shot, agreed. Even if Dawson gets hurt, if we had Ali Ali, and IF Ali Ali matured offensively to not kill the offense as much, that would've been a special team.

1 hour ago, 1981 grad said:

I see your point that top to bottom this version is a better team.  However, X2.0 is the difference maker and having an outstanding point guard who can run the team makes the 2022 version of this team better.  Ali is better in the paint but his 3 point shot has regressed.

That's why I was pointing out the difference in interpretation of "team". Our depth this year is way better and more suited for games against upper echelon competition. But we don't have that killer PG that can light it up from anywhere on the court. It's going to need to be a team effort if we pull off the upset. 

44 minutes ago, 1981 grad said:

And I think that most people on the board  would agree that this year's team has been a disappointment toward the end of the season.  Getting to the tourney has raised the issue of which team is better.  Winning against Creighton would settle the argument.

So true. This team hasn't played to its full potential since adding Ali Ali back into the mix. This would be a really good time to reach their full potential. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

2020 was our year. That team had it all. Last year would've been our next best shot, agreed. Even if Dawson gets hurt, if we had Ali Ali, and IF Ali Ali matured offensively to not kill the offense as much, that would've been a special team.

That's why I was pointing out the difference in interpretation of "team". Our depth this year is way better and more suited for games against upper echelon competition. But we don't have that killer PG that can light it up from anywhere on the court. It's going to need to be a team effort if we pull off the upset. 

So true. This team hasn't played to its full potential since adding Ali Ali back into the mix. This would be a really good time to reach their full potential. 

I would like to be optimistic but very difficult.  We have played only 1 team that made the tourney, JMU, and look how that turned out.  In 2022 we beat Kent in the final by 20 points and the game was never in doubt.  This year we beat them by one.  (Actually, they help beat themselves)  My only optimism is that Nate and Sammy showed some offense in the final and I think that if Tavari runs the point and Sammy makes some threes we can be competitive.  I also hope they do not double Freeman as I believe he can score on anyone if they do not double.

18 minutes ago, 1981 grad said:

I would like to be optimistic but very difficult.  We have played only 1 team that made the tourney, JMU, and look how that turned out.  In 2022 we beat Kent in the final by 20 points and the game was never in doubt.  This year we beat them by one.  (Actually, they help beat themselves)  My only optimism is that Nate and Sammy showed some offense in the final and I think that if Tavari runs the point and Sammy makes some threes we can be competitive.  I also hope they do not double Freeman as I believe he can score on anyone if they do not double.

SDSU, Utah St, and Drake also made the tourney.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, 1981 grad said:

But if they do double, that leaves wing players open for 3's. If those shots are landing, we can definitely pull the upset!

43 minutes ago, 1981 grad said:

I'm curious to see the Freeman and Kalkbrenner matchup. Ryan moves pretty well for a big man and can shoot the 3, but he's also a little slow and clanky in his movements. Freeman's quickness might be a problem for him and if we can get Ryan in foul trouble, even better. 

45 minutes ago, LZIp said:

SDSU, Utah St, and Drake also made the tourney.

Thanks, my mistake.  I saw that Utah State is an 8 seed and we only lost to them by a couple of points.  We had a chance to win when Dawson committed a costly turnover.  We got killed by Drake the next game.  Although we beat SDSU, they are a 15 seed.  When you look at the stats of the game at Utah State, Freeman was amazing with 25, Hunter and Tribble were in double digits, and Scott had 4 on 2 of 4 shooting.  Everyone else basically sucked on offense just like the game at James Madison and they were a collective 3 of 22.  Almost identical to the stats at JMU.  The more difficult the defense, the more difficult for our bench to score although we did not have Ali.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 1981 grad said:

The scouting report is out on the Zips. Whoever we face will send double teams at Freeman to force him to pick up his dribble. The Zips supporting cast have to prove they're able to make perimeter shots before teams adjust.

Edited by kreed5120
  • Like 3

13 hours ago, NWAkron said:

KReed is 100% correct.   Someone on the Creighton board wrote simply that the Zips are inconsistent and prone to scoring droughts.  Those droughts occurred in all 3 MAC tournament games.  I think the 2022 Zips were a better team at this point in the season compared to the 2024 team.  Creighton will be tough sledding for these guys.  I cleared my calendar for the MAC tournament but not for Thursday.  When the Zips make it to Saturday, I will be there.

If the Zips make it to Saturday I will be there as well...

7 hours ago, kreed5120 said:

The scouting report is out on the Zips. Whoever we face will send double teams at Freeman to force him to pick up his dribble. The Zips supporting cast have to prove they're able to make perimeter shots before teams adjust.

Let's pray my magical Undergrad ARoo Coffee cup can delight the Basketball Gods into giving the other Akron Players a 2013 Jake Kretzer at OU shooting lights out performance...

24 minutes ago, Reslife4Life said:

Virginia has a 14 point half, and doesn’t score for almost 13 straight minutes. They don’t have 21 rebound Enrique Freeman to get them back in this one

Still 4 more points than PCCC's 1st half total in 2008 vs UNLV.

15 minutes ago, ZipCat said:

My money is on MSU.

Good call. I didn't bet it but I did pick MSU on my bracket so I'm pulling for them.

Holy schnikes, it's now 20-8 MSU(!)

Edited by ZippyRulz
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, ZippyRulz said:

Good call. I didn't bet it but I did pick MSU on my bracket so I'm pulling for them.

Holy schnikes, it's now 20-8 MSU(!)

Don't look now but MSU has just gone on a 7-0 run on MSU.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, akzipper said:

Guess Dambrot only gets blown out by 40+ in the tournament when he coaches the Zips. 

I mean he's also never been higher than an 14 seed either.

I really wish I understood how seeding works. I will never understand how a PLAY IN teams get higher seeds than teams that actually won their respective conference, and how is Duquesne an 11 seed while the Zips are stuck at a 14 seed.

Edited by ZipCat