Transfer Portal

3 hours ago, Zippy87 said:

Go get him, Groce!

For those of you salivating over David Coit I was in your ranks. But when I raised the issue to our staff in Pittsburgh they said forget it. He will not fit in with our culture, coaching or defense. He is not on our radar. Groce has always said if you come to Akron you have to fit into our culture, not the other way around.  

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, 72 Roo said:

For those of you salivating over David Coit I was in your ranks. But when I raised the issue to our staff in Pittsburgh they said forget it. He will not fit in with our culture, coaching or defense. He is not on our radar. Groce has always said if you come to Akron you have to fit into our culture, not the other way around.  

Very interesting. Too much iso-ball maybe? He's a really gifted scorer. 

45 minutes ago, 72 Roo said:

..and that's what I like about Groce.  It is about talent AND culture fit.  I suspected that a guy who would chirp at the opposing coach, even in a friendly way, might not be a fit in this program.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said:

..and that's what I like about Groce.  It is about talent AND culture fit.  I suspected that a guy who would chirp at the opposing coach, even in a friendly way, might not be a fit in this program.

I agree but will also add that talking smack is sometimes part of the game. Ali chirped quite a bit and he was a fantastic Zip. 

5 minutes ago, Zippy87 said:

I agree but will also add that talking smack is sometimes part of the game. Ali chirped quite a bit and he was a fantastic Zip. 

Depends on the type of chirping.  His chirping was a "look at me" and "I could be doing this for you" chirping, not a competitive chirping.

51 minutes ago, 72 Roo said:

Well happy Monday to you, too. Damn. Way to (Kent yellow) pee in our Cheerios...

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Zippy87 said:

Very interesting. Too much iso-ball maybe? He's a really gifted scorer. 

His gifts are off the charts. What a beautiful shot he has. Unfortunately he has neither humility nor modesty to go with it. I wish him well except whenever he plays against the Zips. 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, 72 Roo said:

His gifts are off the charts. What a beautiful shot he has. Unfortunately he has neither humility nor modesty to go with it. I wish him well except whenever he plays against the Zips. 

If you're relying on the portal to build a winner next year, there may not be many natural scorers like Coit out there who would consider Akron. I don't want criminals but I'd rather have a guy like Voit who may need to learn some humility vs a guy like Thornton who's going to be a team player that falls out of the rotation.

Edited by Zippy87
  • Like 1

That's disappointing on Coit. We need a killer G in the backcourt.  I hope Groce & Co. haven't been spoiled by the demeanors of our departing seniors & remember most D1 athletes are testosterone-filled young men who still have a lot of maturing to do.  I respect and am proud of the culture Groce & Co. have built here, but it's a matter of degrees... is Coit really that bad?  He must be for Groce not to want to bring such a natural born scorer on board. Idk, but Groce had an awful lot of success at OU w/ The Marvelous Mr. Cooper... who was no choirboy.

• Like 2

As all of us who watched some very mediocre guard play from our most recent guard transfers and are salivating over Coit, I think character over talent is the right way to go.  For those that disagree, close your eyes and repeat the following three times, "Bryan Trimble Jr."  Feel better?

6 minutes ago, 1981 grad said:

As all of us who watched some very mediocre guard play from our most recent guard transfers and are salivating over Coit, I think character over talent is the right way to go.  For those that disagree, close your eyes and repeat the following three times, "Bryan Trimble Jr."  Feel better?

Trimble was a headache that could've built entire cities with the number of bricks he put up. Coit has averaged 15 & 20 PPG these last 2 years. I ultimately trust Groce & Co to build the right team, but I would've loved 15+ per night from Trimble. So no, I don't feel better. 😂

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

Trimble was a headache that could've built entire cities with the number of bricks he put up. Coit has averaged 15 & 20 PPG these last 2 years. I ultimately trust Groce & Co to build the right team, but I would've loved 15+ per night from Trimble. So no, I don't feel better. 😂

Also worth mentioning everything negative being shared about Coit is (respectfully to those who have shared) total hearsay. 

• Like 2

Honestly, I might be in the minority, but I'm not all that impressed with Coit. He's a career .416 shooter and .354 from 3. The only scoring that he does efficiently is free throws, but it's not like he gets to the line a ton. ~18 ppg on ~15 fga/gm just isn't all that good. He's a chucker on a bad team.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

Honestly, I might be in the minority, but I'm not all that impressed with Coit. He's a career .416 shooter and .354 from 3. The only scoring that he does efficiently is free throws, but it's not like he gets to the line a ton. ~18 ppg on ~15 fga/gm just isn't all that good. He's a chucker on a bad team.

Coit's career TS% is identical to LCJ's at Akron - .555

19 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

A lot to filter through here ... but generally speaking I'd rather have a player not afraid to shoot - maybe even a bit selfish - over a hesitant player or player always willing to defer.

I think coaching can temper some of that ... don't forget Little Loren was a near train wreck as a freshman/sophomore before he and Groce found common ground. Generally speaking, I'd rather not put my chips on a 1-year guy unless I was sure about him and the team. But if the comfort level is there, go for it.

(Some guys just don't want the last shot, no matter how much they claim they do.)

• Like 1

Not the best stats for Dawson to try to entice a good program off the portal. I wonder if he ever really got back to 100% after his injury? He didn't drive to the basket like he did before. We'll see who comes in. Maybe Groce had some success on the recruiting trail.

Once a Zip, always a Zip. Best of luck Mikal!!

Edited by Illini Zip
  • Like 5