Transfer Portal

13 minutes ago, Illini Zip said:

That would mean that this turmoil is happening across the college basketball scene. Are all non-P6 conferences experiencing this amount of turnover?

Yes. There are 1300+ players in the Portal - about 1/3rd of all college players. About 50-75% of P6s are experiencing multiple players leaving. For example, Colorado just had Eddie Lampkin leave for Syracuse. 

You can sort this by previous school or new school. Fascinating to follow.

Edited by Let'sGoZips94
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

Yes. There are 1300+ players in the Portal - about 1/3rd of all college players. About 50-75% of P6s are experiencing multiple players leaving. For example, Colorado just had Eddie Lampkin leave for Syracuse. 

Okay. I believe you guys. But I can't see this amount of turnover being good for college basketball in the long-run. 

10 minutes ago, Illini Zip said:

Okay. I believe you guys. But I can't see this amount of turnover being good for college basketball in the long-run. 

It's good in certain ways. There is now an incentive to stay in college rather than going pro. The longer players stay in college, the better the game is. 

The downside is the lack of chemistry that builds and the lack of a connection that fans can build with their team's players. However, I think this changes to become more restricted. If NIL becomes more multi year contractual, that solves that problem. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

It's good in certain ways. There is now an incentive to stay in college rather than going pro. The longer players stay in college, the better the game is. 

The downside is the lack of chemistry that builds and the lack of a connection that fans can build with their team's players. However, I think this changes to become more restricted. If NIL becomes more multi year contractual, that solves that problem. 

Multi year contractual is an interesting issue for players but I do not think that will solve the problem.  If a player leaves and breaks the contract, the new team will happily pay off the old contract to get a star player.  However, if a coach signs the player to a contract and he sucks and the coach wants to move on, the school will be stuck with the player or pay him for not playing.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, 1981 grad said:

Multi year contractual is an interesting issue for players but I do not think that will solve the problem.  If a player leaves and breaks the contract, the new team will happily pay off the old contract to get a star player.  However, if a coach signs the player to a contract and he sucks and the coach wants to move on, the school will be stuck with the player or pay him for not playing.

I like this debate. I guess I am hoping it doesn't turn into the pro mentality where all you're rooting for is a jersey.

37 minutes ago, 1981 grad said:

At least the initial school would receive compensation if the other school pays off the existing contract. 

The latter point is certainly valid and something I'm sure people smarter than me can figure out (which means PCCC is screwed).

Edited by Let'sGoZips94
  • Haha 1

Verbal Commits says Julius Rollins is in the Portal.  May be best for him to get a fresh start.  He made a huge mistake and has certainly paid the price for it.  I heard he received death threats and lots of hateful attacks.  Best of luck to him, but he will always be a footnote in Zips basketball history.  Helped Groce remain undefeated in MAC championships.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NWAkron said:

Verbal Commits says Julius Rollins is in the Portal.  May be best for him to get a fresh start.  He made a huge mistake and has certainly paid the price for it.  I heard he received death threats and lots of hateful attacks.  Best of luck to him, but he will always be a footnote in Zips basketball history.  Helped Groce remain undefeated in MAC championships.

Society needs to stop with the death threats towards players. Way too much of this going on. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NWAkron said:

I honestly didn't realize anyone cared enough about Kent to attack him. My only guess would be it had to be people who lost money betting on the game. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, akzipper said:

I honestly didn't realize anyone cared enough about Kent to attack him. My only guess would be it had to be people who lost money betting on the game. 

Yes, it's why I'm glad Ohio doesn't allow player prop bets for college sports. It's one thing for a guy who gets paid millions as a pro to deal with nimwits. It's another thing for a college student who most likely will never even go pro.