Duquesne Basketball Coach Keith Dambrot

Coach Dambrot at Duquesne  

78 members have voted

1. 1. Seeing that coach Dambrot left Akron out of frustration citing the lack of NCAA bids, how many NCAA trips do you expect him to make at Duquesne?

This poll is closed to new votes

11 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said:

I will agree Kent earned it, but the Zips helped.  First, they had zero fire.  Second, I saw no adjustments from the 1st PCCC game at the JAR and the MAC championship game.  Most importantly, they took Kwan out of the game and the Zips made no adjustments to try to free him up.

Even still, none of those reasons means kids were already on their way out

14 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said:

I will agree Kent earned it, but the Zips helped.  First, they had zero fire.  Second, I saw no adjustments from the 1st PCCC game at the JAR and the MAC championship game.  Most importantly, they took Kwan out of the game and the Zips made no adjustments to try to free him up.

As already pointed out, there were plenty of other opportunities during the last week of that season, and the tournament, to throw in the towel.  The big performances during that time shows that It didn't happen.  And it's an unfair and bitter accusation to pin on everyone involved.

20 minutes ago, zippy5 said:

Even still, none of those reasons means kids were already on their way out

9 minutes ago, skip-zip said:

As already pointed out, there were plenty of other opportunities during the last week of that season, and the tournament, to throw in the towel.  The big performances during that time shows that It didn't happen.  And it's an unfair and bitter accusation to pin on everyone involved.

Don't get me wrong guys, I'm not saying anyone quit.  Just saying the Zips could have played better in that final.  

I picked 2, assuming he stays at least 7 years at Duquesnse.  My thinking is he can have similar success to Akron as far as making the tournament and 3/13 is roughly 2/7.  Although 2/7 is better percentage wise, the A10 is a multiple bid league unlike the MAC.  I also don't think he will dominate the A10 regular season like he did the MAC regular season, but he doesn't have to.

Edited by Zipgrad1990

On 4/1/2017 at 11:12 AM, zippy5 said:

Why didn't we pack it in and take our beating in Houston then? Why did all of the transfers get announced right after KD left instead of after the season like Josh?

I think part of the reason we won that game was because guys like Antino (whom, if I remember correctly, had a pretty good game) are from the Houston area. Also, Houston didn't want to be in that game. 

On 4/1/2017 at 2:44 PM, skip-zip said:

Throwing in the towel/giving up is completely different than not playing with fire/passion. I will never accuse this team of forfeiting/quitting/throwing in the towel. I will say that they seemed to walk through the MAC Championship Game, while Can't came out like a bat out of Hell. Did Can't earn it with their effort (complementing Can't... :puke:)? Yes. Did we assist them with our lack of passion/fire/energy? You betcha. That game was within 1-3 possessions the entire time, which is a testament - in my opinion - to how much better we were than Can't skill wise. We just didn't apply ourselves, which makes me believe (having the knowledge we do now) that some of the guys had pre-determined transfers. I'm not saying everyone didn't apply themselves, but teammates feed off of each other, and when a couple guys don't want to be there, it can kill any energy for the other players. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, lilroodude said:

We just didn't apply ourselves, which makes me believe (having the knowledge we do now) that some of the guys had pre-determined transfers.

Then, what would be your reason for why kids don't play well in plenty of other games throughout the course of the year?

I'm sorry, you can't ignore the Houston performance, ignore the road wins against Buffalo and Kent late in the season, and ignore the first 2 rounds of the MAC tournament......and try to connect just the MAC Title Game performance to the fact that guys knew they were leaving.   In fact, the earliest guy who reported that he was leaving had a great game that night.  

Edited by skip-zip

Keith will turn them, and himself, around. He needed to leave, both for himself and for Akron. He was mentally just done here; you could see it.

I am grateful for what KD did here. I wish him the best. And I think he will give his best and be successful. DU in the tourney March 2020.

I love the Groce hire. Time for a new era.

• Like 2

On 4/3/2017 at 9:45 AM, lilroodude said:

I think part of the reason we won that game was because guys like Antino (whom, if I remember correctly, had a pretty good game) are from the Houston area. Also, Houston didn't want to be in that game. 

Throwing in the towel/giving up is completely different than not playing with fire/passion. I will never accuse this team of forfeiting/quitting/throwing in the towel. I will say that they seemed to walk through the MAC Championship Game, while Can't came out like a bat out of Hell. 

Is it possible Dambrot was already gone before the final, and the team found out?

On ‎4‎/‎4‎/‎2017 at 5:06 PM, UAZippers said:

Big save for Dambrot. Lewis was there best player last year and announced he would transfer before Dambrot was hired. His transfer was the major reason that I didn't believe that Dambrot would take the job.

Let's see if JG has the same impact with our players.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Joe Akron said:

MY personal fave:

FAM

Citizen

Re: Another small PG

Come on Folks, we all know...

"Size doesn't matter"

:P

Or even better:  "Anyone who saw us play last year could see that our guards were too slow on defense; repeatedly allowing penetration which broke down the defense.  We need to be quicker at the guard positions".  Welcome back to the future, Keith!    :rolleyes:

13 minutes ago, Z.I.P. said:

Or even better:  "Anyone who saw us play last year could see that our guards were too slow on defense; repeatedly allowing penetration which broke down the defense.  We need to be quicker at the guard positions".  Welcome back to the future, Keith!    :rolleyes:

Exactly.  They'd better get real used to that real quick. 

Edited by Blue & Gold

29 minutes ago, ZippyRulz said:

2017 power forward Tydus Verhoeven gave a verbal commitment to the Dukes.

http://pittsburghsportsnow.com/2017/04/21/duquesne-gets-big-california-commitment/

Again, when you see the kinds of players that he's attracting there (two others are mentioned in the article as well), it just becomes more and more puzzling why he's tying up 2 scholarships for the next 4 years (1 transfer year and 3 playing years) on two MAC bench players that don't appear (at this point at least) to be guys that can really help them.  

7 hours ago, skip-zip said:

Again, when you see the kinds of players that he's attracting there (two others are mentioned in the article as well), it just becomes more and more puzzling why he's tying up 2 scholarships for the next 4 years (1 transfer year and 3 playing years) on two MAC bench players that don't appear (at this point at least) to be guys that can really help them.  

Has he really attracted that amazing of talent?