Antino

37 minutes ago, ZachTheZip said:

Good for him. Gets himself out of a bad situation.

New Mexico does have a team store, if you want to get yourself out of a "bad" situation as well. Actually, every team does. You can trade your Akron gear in at any time...

Edited by lilroodude

44 minutes ago, NWAkron said:

There's no bad situation at Akron.  Whatever.  No great loss... Seriously.

No bad situation? What about all the fans and boosters putting down good players just because they don't want to play for someone who didn't recruit them? All this "they're dead to me" crap has to stop. I swear half the posters here are like thirteen year-olds after their first break-up.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, ZachTheZip said:

No bad situation? What about all the fans and boosters putting down good players just because they don't want to play for someone who didn't recruit them? All this "they're dead to me" crap has to stop. I swear half the posters here are like thirteen year-olds after their first break-up.

the power of the horrible Zip Nation posters who can run off any player we want at anytime.  Yeah, right, we are the puppet masters.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, ZachTheZip said:

Go to your safe place.  It will all be ok after you do that and your mom brings you ice cream.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ZachTheZip said:

Good for him. Gets himself out of a bad situation.

Are you serious? Do you even know what has gone on at New Mexico lately? A ton of dysfunctional incidents within that program and around it.  They did hire the coach at New Mexico State, so that may be solved but that will be a transition there as well. So not sure how that is a better situation than here. Oh wait, you've been against the Groce hire since Day 1.  Like others have said, Antino would have fit the DJ Cooper role in Groce's offense and flourished in my opinion. But he wanted to take the easy way out in my opinion. The fact that he's a grad transfer, makes me think he was going to go this route no matter if KD left or stayed. He's gone, time to move on.

Besides, you have no idea how much Groce wanted Antino. Reason why I think it wouldn't matter is because of those that went to the press conference and saw that Antino basically brushed it off. Never participated in it, and that told me right there he already made his decision. That whole WZIP interview was just a PR stunt to keep everyone happy until he decided where to go next.

Edited by mes102

2 hours ago, ZachTheZip said:

This was not a bad situation. It wasn't great either. It was just change and every athlete knows that change is highly likely in D1 sports. Few coaches stay 4 years. Antino ended up doing what he thought was best for him. OK. Go and good luck. New Mexico is a bigger progrum, but it may not have been better. At NM he will just be a forgotten number who played a year and was gone. At Akron he could have built a legacy that could have been far more rewarding after he is done playing. To each their own. But it was not bad at Akron. That's as immature as the posters you criticize.

Antino was a gritty player. Not afraid of the big stage.

He was a spotty 3-point shooter who struggled to finish at the rim. His defense was marginal at best. Marginal assist guy too.

Overall, and above-average MAC guard. But eminently replaceable. 

I look forward to using transferring his scholarship to a young, skilled player who wants to be a Zip.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mes102 said:

Besides, you have no idea how much Groce wanted Antino. Reason why I think it wouldn't matter is because of those that went to the press conference and saw that Antino basically brushed it off. Never participated in it, and that told me right there he already made his decision. That whole WZIP interview was just a PR stunt to keep everyone happy until he decided where to go next.

Didn't he already send out a "goodbye/thank you" letter to Zips fans before all of that?  Yes, we were all pretty sure he was transferring.  His coach left, his entire staff left, and at last count....6 of his teammates from last year are no longer here between graduation and other transfers.  

I've felt compelled to say this before on this board, but I feel like I'm seeing behavior that's reminiscent of the Clevelanders when LeBron went to Miami.  All kinds of accusations that someone is just "playing games" with us, or that their decision was done with malicious intent.  Or at the very least, I see the standard "no big loss" or "don't let the door hit you in the a$$" (which followed a statement about how much he would have thrived next year).  

I know.  A lot of people are just pissed about our situation.  I expect some of that frustration to show.  But I hope I don't see us drag this down to the July 2010 Cleveland mentality.  

2 hours ago, ZachTheZip said:

Zach, You can be pretty brash sometimes.  But I have to admit that you have a point.   

It's a small upgrade I'll say going to the MW conference school. I imagine he hoped for something better. Personally, I think given everything else we lost, him returning wouldn't have made much of a meaningful impact. Instead of finishing 8th now we'll finish 10th in the MAC. What this does do is free up some minutes for our younger players which should hopefully help speed up their development.

12 hours ago, akronzips71 said:

I am going to remain optimistic. Other MAC teams also lost starters. JG seems to be out there recruiting good prospects.

No worse than 3rd on the season, with a possible poor OOC season as the individuals learn to be a team.

Sure, I'd say that's very optimistic.    I think we all know we have some good players remaining.   But with Antino gone, that officially removes everyone that was in the Starting 5 at the beginning of the 2016-2017 season.   That's a devastating hit.  However, I don't think we'll be bad enough to finish 10th, as someone earlier predicted.  I'm still going hope that the remaining guys really improve, and we can still somehow call this "retooling".

47 minutes ago, skip-zip said:

However, I don't think we'll be bad enough to finish 10th, as someone earlier predicted.

It was a tad exaggeration as I'm not entirely sure where we will finish as the MAC should be in for a down year losing 12 out of its 15 ALL-MAC team players and that doesn't even include Campbell, Antino, and Noah. My bigger point was I don't feel the Zips would have been good either way.

56 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

It was a tad exaggeration as I'm not entirely sure where we will finish as the MAC should be in for a down year losing 12 out of its 15 ALL-MAC team players and that doesn't even include Campbell, Antino, and Noah. My bigger point was I don't feel the Zips would have been good either way.

Had KD stayed, I agree, we seemed headed for a down year. But with the new coach and new blood, who knows.

With Antino leaving, we have no guards left from last year.  After we got killed in the second game of the NIT, my thought was that we will never win a NCAA tournament game with the guards we have on the team.  Of course, I had no idea that a month later none of them would be returning.  If our goal is to win a tournament game, that was not going to happen with Noah, Antino, Josh, and Dunn Martin.  They were too small, not athletic, poor rebounders, difficult stopping penetration and weak when it came to penetrating against defenses. (If anyone disagrees please rewatch the Texas Arlington game or the last 2 MAC finals.)   Antino was probably our best guard on defense and slashing at the basket but at best he was an average MAC guard.  

KD liked to play inside out which meant our guards often stood on the wing or behind the 3 point line and shot the 3 ball.  I cannot remember any of these guys back cutting to the basket or diving for a loose ball all season.  When there was no double team, they struggled offensively against better athletes because they could not create their own shot and just shot the 3 ball.  (Gonzaga game).  There strength was their 3 point shooting and playing within the KD system of feeding the ball to Big Dog, waiting for the double team, and then shooting the 3 ball.

I know that we will struggle next year with 4 new guards but hopefully we can pick up some athletes who can keep their man in front of them, rebound, move and cut without the ball and show athleticism in attacking the basket.    

• Like 1