Keeping up with Keith (Dambrot)

On 11/8/2021 at 8:16 AM, clarkwgriswold said:

Considering where Akron and Duquesne were at the beginning of the Groce & Dambrot respective eras, who would you rather have now? 

Duquense hasn't accomplished squat, and seems to have reverted back to being a mess. We are very blessed to have John Groce as Dambrot's replacement. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

Considering where Akron and Duquesne were at the beginning of the Groce & Dambrot respective eras, who would you rather have now? 

Duquense hasn't accomplished squat, and seems to have reverted back to being a mess. We are very blessed to have John Groce as Dambrot's replacement. 

KD did so much for the Zips, but it was time for him to move on.  I hear all the rumors and innuendo about why he left, but none of that mattered to me. 

5 minutes ago, LZIp said:

Just took a peek at the Dookies record. 1-2 with a win over Rider and losses to Weber State and Hofstra. YIKES.

Their team has been decimated by player movement.  They have ONE player remaining on their roster from two years ago.  I also follow Duquesne and there seems to be very little hope for KD in the Burgh.  Any player worth squat will move to greener pastures after a season or two.  The new transfer rules are only going to create a larger gap between the have and have-nots in D1.  They have a nicely rebuilt arena, but good luck getting recruits to a school with little success since the 1950s (NIT when it was important) and zero profile with young people.

1 minute ago, zippypitt said:

Their team has been decimated by player movement.  They have ONE player remaining on their roster from two years ago.  I also follow Duquesne and there seems to be very little hope for KD in the Burgh.  Any player worth squat will move to greener pastures after a season or two.  The new transfer rules are only going to create a larger gap between the have and have-nots in D1.  They have a nicely rebuilt arena, but good luck getting recruits to a school with little success since the 1950s (NIT when it was important) and zero profile with young people.

BTW, I do NOT count S. Carry as a player worth squat and moving to greener pastures.  I respect his game, but his head doesn't seem to be there most times.

The human in me feels for him struggling to start the season after losing his dad not too long ago. 

The Akron fan in me is watching Enfield(?) take his #25 ranked USC Trojans back to his roots at Florida Gulf Coast for an away game, while Duquesne has yet to show up on an Akron schedule. I repeat my post above: thank goodness we have Groce. 

Side note: didn't realize TVD (Dunn-Martin) ended up at FGCU. Good for him. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

The human in me feels for him struggling to start the season after losing his dad not too long ago. 

The Akron fan in me is watching Enfield(?) take his #25 ranked USC Trojans back to his roots at Florida Gulf Coast for an away game, while Duquesne has yet to show up on an Akron schedule. I repeat my post above: thank goodness we have Groce. 

Side note: didn't realize TVD (Dunn-Martin) ended up at FGCU. Good for him. 

If Dambrot brought Duquesne for a game and they had a pregame ceremony to honor Dambrot, I'd stand up and cheer.

24 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

If Dambrot brought Duquesne for a game and they had a pregame ceremony to honor Dambrot, I'd stand up and cheer.

That'd be awesome.  But I don't think I'd want to see KD coaching against the Zips.

It'd be like seeing LeBron (rightfully) cheering for Bronny & Sierra Canyon when they played STVM.  It kinda hurt & didn't feel right at all. 

After KD retires he'll get a banner in the JAR.

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Hilltopper said:

Hate the opinion-portion of the article ("That's still no way to win over a team"), but this is amazing. Hats off to this coach. 

• 3 weeks later...
9 hours ago, zippy-claws said:

A corrupt High School hosts two college teams that nobody gives two 💩 about, on Sunday…the epitome of 🥱

A free game that was highly entertaining.  We should have Duquesne on our non conference schedule every year.  An easy drive to attend.  Competitive game. Or give us Clarion, directional Alabama, or one of the Carolina A & Ts 🙄

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, zippypitt said:

A free game that was highly entertaining.  We should have Duquesne on our non conference schedule every year.  An easy drive to attend.  Competitive game. Or give us Clarion, directional Alabama, or one of the Carolina A & Ts 🙄

You think he’d schedule us? Ha

13 hours ago, Blue & Gold said:

Fascinating no one mentioned one of the more ironic facts of the game:  The Anteaters' coach, Russell Turner came closer than anyone to being full-time coach of the D-1 school in Akron.  Multiple reports stated he was offered and turned down the Akron job before it was offered to John Groce.  He's one of the top young coaches on the West coast and his team was coming off having led #10 USC by double digits before finally losing by 5.  They own wins over excellent teams Santa Clara and Boise State, so I must say:  Nice win Duqies!!

• Confused 1

14 hours ago, Z.I.P. said:

Fascinating no one mentioned one of the more ironic facts of the game:  The Anteaters' coach, Russell Turner came closer than anyone to being full-time coach of the D-1 school in Akron.  Multiple reports stated he was offered and turned down the Akron job before it was offered to John Groce.  He's one of the top young coaches on the West coast and his team was coming off having led #10 USC by double digits before finally losing by 5.  They own wins over excellent teams Santa Clara and Boise State, so I must say:  Nice win Duqies!!

First I heard that. I'd say I'm happy with the way things turned out by getting Groce.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

The mighty Dookies of Duquense lost to St Joes last night to fall to 1-4 in conference play and 6-11 overall. With games vs St Louis, Richmond, VCU, Dayton, and Davidson on the immediate horizon, the upcoming weeks look grim and the fan message board is growing restless, especially considering prior to the season KD claimed this was his most talented team yet.

I imagine they'll let him coach out his contract, but chances on an extension seems near zero unless he pulls off a miracle next year. Thus far it appears no March Madness or NIT in his career there. I wonder if he regrets moving on for the seemingly minor increase in compensation.

Edited by LZIp

34 minutes ago, LZIp said:

The mighty Dookies of Duquense lost to St Joes last night to fall to 1-4 in conference play and 6-11 overall. With games vs St Louis, Richmond, VCU, Dayton, and Davidson on the immediate horizon, the upcoming weeks look grim and the fan message board is growing restless, especially considering prior to the season KD claimed this was his most talented team yet.

I imagine they'll let him coach out his contract, but chances on an extension seems near zero unless he pulls off a miracle next year. Thus far it appears no March Madness or NIT in his career there. I wonder if he regrets moving on for the seemingly minor increase in compensation.

I honestly don't think him leaving was as much about the money as it was him wanting to try to cement his legacy by making a sweet 16 run. He had opportunities to leave for more money throughout the years but choose to stay.

Duquesne promised him a renovated arena and a commitment to an increased budget. He looked at his age and knew he didn't have many seasons left as he's said numerous times that he doesn't plan to coach into his 70s. He thought Duquesne gave him the best chance to get those tourney wins that was the only thing his resume was missing. The fact it appears he won't make the tournament at Duquesne, let alone get tournament wins, I'm sure he'll view it as a mistake.

• Like 1

I hope he retires for his own good. I really like Keith, and you can tell he's probably as unhappy as he's ever been in his coaching career right now. When UA was really good and would lose a tough game, he and the staff would often stay overnight in the offices working probably too hard. In a higher pressure league with twice the salary and a significantly older age, I worry about him.

Time to hang 'em up and get an administration job somewhere so he's ready to be the AD here when Guthrie moves on in a few years. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LZIp said:

Shame. 

Sounds like Dookie fans are experiencing the same frustrations Zips fans did when KD was here, without the consistent league success.