New Head Coach Search - 2021 Edition

GoZips86

16 hours ago, Blue & Gold said:

If that's the case, why did you bring up Tom Manning? 

Sorry.  I missed the fine print about how only reasonable possibilities could be discussed here.  In the case of Manning, there are other reasons that he might find compelling.  People seem to find NE Ohio attractive.  I don't get it, but there is plenty of evidence.  Bottom line is that I think he should be on your list.  

In my own case, I found the best thing to come out of Akron, married her, and saved her from a life sentence in NE Ohio.  😀😎🙄

Edited by Cykron
  • Haha 2

I just need to through in a side note.  @Cykron and l are both season ticket holders for the Cyclones.  I can't believe that both teams managed to fumble into the end zone trying to score a winning TD in the closing minutes, and then take the lead late in the 4th quarter in another game only to see the game slip away.  For the Clones, it was a 60 sec drive (no time outs) with a 62 yard FG as time ran out!

1 hour ago, Ham said:

I just need to through in a side note.  @Cykron and l are both season ticket holders for the Cyclones.  I can't believe that both teams managed to fumble into the end zone trying to score a winning TD in the closing minutes, and then take the lead late in the 4th quarter in another game only to see the game slip away.  For the Clones, it was a 60 sec drive (no time outs) with a 62 yard FG as time ran out!

62 yards?  that has to be a record.

1 hour ago, Cykron said:

And it wasn't even close.  No wind.  He could have made it from 70!  The ball may not have come down yet!

They showed him during the time out and I told my wife "That kid looks confident. I don't know if he has enough leg but the moment isn't to big for him." It was impressive. Plenty long enough and right down the middle. The kid never had a doubt. 

8 hours ago, Cykron said:

In my own case, I found the best thing to come out of Akron, married her, and saved her from a life sentence in NE Ohio.  😀😎🙄

Wow, what a really crappy thing to say.  I did not grow up in NE Ohio, but I went to the University of Akron and now I live north of Akron about 45 minutes.  I live in a beautiful town in NE Ohio with great schools and kind and generous people.  I have had multiple opportunities to move and have chosen to stay where I am at.  I have tried to support outside views on this forum (except OSU Suckeyes), but you have gone overboard.  You are truly an @$$hole who has added nothing to this board but complete ignorance.  Please, stay the f away with your ignorant comments.  Personally, I am glad you moved your wife out of NE Ohio.  I do not want anyone in Ohio who would be stupid enough to be with you.  

I will continue to love and support the University of Akron and Northeast Ohio.  God Bless!!!

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, bigjim said:

Wow, what a really crappy thing to say.  I did not grow up in NE Ohio, but I went to the University of Akron and now I live north of Akron about 45 minutes.  I live in a beautiful town in NE Ohio with great schools and kind and generous people.  I have had multiple opportunities to move and have chosen to stay where I am at.  I have tried to support outside views on this forum (except OSU Suckeyes), but you have gone overboard.  You are truly an @$$hole who has added nothing to this board but complete ignorance.  Please, stay the f away with your ignorant comments.  Personally, I am glad you moved your wife out of NE Ohio.  I do not want anyone in Ohio who would be stupid enough to be with you.  

I will continue to love and support the University of Akron and Northeast Ohio.  God Bless!!!

If you don't like what he has to say, you can mute him that way what he says doesn't pop up when you scroll through.

Also, it was friendly banter. If I actually cared enough about that comment to do a playful rebuttal, I'd just comment something about Iowa being nothing but cornfields and tractors

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

If you don't like what he has to say, you can mute him that way what he says doesn't pop up when you scroll through.

Also, it was friendly banter. If I actually cared enough about that comment to do a playful rebuttal, I'd just comment something about Iowa being nothing but cornfields and tractors

I grew up with tractors, hay fields, and cornfields.  I would never slander the hardest working profession in the great USA.  

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Ham said:

Please post more about football in Iowa; I can't get enough of it.

Also, if you have any Iowa track and field news to share, that would be great.

Heard they are supposed to be especially good this year in the hammer through.  

15 minutes ago, Zipmeister said:

Please post more about football in Iowa; I can't get enough of it.

Also, if you have any Iowa track and field news to share, that would be great.

Heard they are supposed to be especially good this year in the hammer through.  

At the moment that l posted that, l was just feeling how useless this discussion is, and l decided to throw in some irrelevance.   

On 11/13/2021 at 4:00 PM, GP1 said:

If his name was Joe Smith, would you be interested?

This just in. The Zips are going hard after one of the Mannings to be the next coach...... Cooper Manning. 

Yes... I would be interested in the defensive coordinator at a top ten team that has coached for over a decade at the FBS level and that would know how to recruit in the state of Ohio no matter what the name would be.

The fact that his last name is recognizable is a bonus that may raise the eyebrows of a few additional recruits.

On 11/14/2021 at 7:32 PM, NWAkron said:

I don't want Frye hired because he has a "connection" to Akron or Tressel to get an edge because of his last name.   

When I brought up Tressel it was not because of his name. He is the defensive coordinator at the top Group of Five program in the nation and was a coach at Michigan State before that. His connections to Fickell and his uncle may mean he believes with the right program that success is possible at Akron. He certainly should know the recruiting circles here.

The fact that his name is Tressel May help get the attention of some recruits but that is not the reason for my interest. It is his experience, success, and knowledge of the region that intrigue me.

24 minutes ago, GJGood said:

Yes... I would be interested in the defensive coordinator at a top ten team that has coached for over a decade at the FBS level and that would know how to recruit in the state of Ohio no matter what the name would be.

The fact that his last name is recognizable is a bonus that may raise the eyebrows of a few additional recruits.

How do you know he is a good recruiter?

Do you really think any 18 year old cares about the name anymore? At best, the current recruits we're 8 years old when his uncle was coaching OSU. 

1 hour ago, GP1 said:

How do you know he is a good recruiter?

Do you really think any 18 year old cares about the name anymore? At best, the current recruits we're 8 years old when his uncle was coaching OSU. 

Recruits make their decisions in consultation with their parents and coaches who do remember.  Nobody can make a sale until they get in front of a prospect.

4 hours ago, Ham said:

Recruits make their decisions in consultation with their parents and coaches who do remember.  Nobody can make a sale until they get in front of a prospect.

I think you are overestimating the value of the Tressel name and parental/coach. The kids are very sophisticated these days.