Western Michigan- 1/18/22- 6:00 p.m.

clarkwgriswold

Never in doubt! Man, that was scary, sad, embarrassing, etc. until 2:40. As winning isn’t deodorant for not playing well (Akron), 60% 3pt. shooting isn’t always deodorant for being a bad basketball team (WMU). Hopefully that was a wake up call that every game in league play will probably be a dog fight. 

Nice minutes from Aziz, Freeman came around toward the end which was good. I’m not too bummed with the defense as a whole, those dudes were hot. At the end when the plan was to trap, they kind of folded. Would’ve liked to see more of that earlier. Also Trimble still way ice cold from three, and I thought a lot of those were really good looks. The only time he took it into the lane and took a step back mid-ranger he hit it. I feel he can create those shots more often, veer Ali-like. Speaking of, Ali stepped up and that was great to see. 

What a tough turnaround coming up. I’m not sure the Zips will win a lot more if they require a Tribble 3-ball to overcome a 10-point deficit in the final 3 minutes. 

Go Zips!

18 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said:

Radio post-game comments:

Ali Ali-  knew he didn't have to rush; trusted his teammates and the spacing; play call was to go to him; Zips need to locate shooters on defense better, impose their will more.

Most important thing I heard:  he said they could tell Broncos were panicking 

I cannot recall another game where the Zips scored the last 11 points to win a game.  The Zips showed great grit when they could have easily packed it in.  Ali made a high pressure shot to win the game and Freeman came up with some big rebounds.  Tribble drained a big 3 with a minute left.  I still think that Tribble is developing a good outside shot.

On the bad side, our offense looks stagnant when Ali gets the ball and dribbles and dribbles and everyone is standing around.  Trimble had another bad shooting night from the 3 point line.  When those 2 were out of the lineup for 5 minutes this team played better at times.  Also, their guards killed us all night.  We need to play better defense if this team is going to win.

I think this team has some real flaws when Trimble and Ali are struggling and I saw this in Kent and in the second half tonight.  Clark again looked bad but Groce has him on a short string and he did not get many minutes.  He was quick to the basket last year with a decent shot.  This year he just does not look like the same player.

Dawson played more minutes and outscored Trimble tonight...ahem...

Will Akron ever play a complete...75% complete first half?  Hope they learned self-confidence at least tonight.  Play to the buzzer, trust your mates, and your coaches!

Was Wynn dressed tonight??  0 minutes.

Edited by Z.I.P.
Addition.

After watching the last 3 games, I think this team will be a 500 type team.  I know that early in the season Groce stressed pressing defense.  Maybe because of Covid but I just have not seen this pressing defense the last 3 games.  We play off the guards and did not press until the last 5 minutes.  Further, we are getting next to nothing from 3 players who were expected to contribute, Clark, Walton and Wynn.  X has to carry the offense when Trimble is not shooting the three well (he is only shooting about 30%) and Ali struggles.  Aziz does not help much offensively.  Tribble and Dawson are playing really well but we really do not have a shut down defender who can quiet a hot guard.  Freeman is really good but it is rare when he can go for 20 points and we often struggle to get him the ball.  This team does not excel at breaking down defenses and we often see Ali dribbling and trying to get an advantage and then throw the ball out of the paint.  I hope I am wrong but the more I watch this team the more I agree with people on the board that think this year will be a struggle. 

Miracle at the JAR.  That was better ending than EMU in 2020, primarily because EMU sucked that entire game.  Tonight WMU was on fire for 38 minutes.  Interestingly, the Zips win over EMU in 2020 came after squeaking by at Athens followed by two losses in a row at home with Buffalo and at Kent.  I remember thinking back then, like I did tonight, that all was lost.  It's just so hard to know how this will play out.  But the Zips antics of loafing for 15 minutes won't work against the better MAC teams of Kent and OU but the Zips could get away with it against Buffalo (without their coach and Mball), BSU, WMU, and Marshall (who is now on a 5 game losing streak)

Watching replay, I noticed #22 for WMU made a couple screw ups on the final two in bounds plays or maybe he's a 10% FT shooter and they didn't want him to get the ball.  I was absolutely convinced Zips were going to lose that one but I did have a fleeting thought that during the last few minutes Broncos' inexperience was all the Zips had going for them.

Ali Ali is clearly Groce's "go to" guy at the end of the game.  He got the last shot against Ohio State and he's also had the final shot to close out some halves.  He and Trimble may still be getting their legs back.

Edited by NWAkron

Awhile back @Blue & Gold pointed out that Sekou Kalle is wasting a year of eligibility. At this point I have to agree. He's not seeing the court at all. I can imagine he is stuck behind a couple of young projects already in Freeman and Aziz, but why was he not redshirted? Does anyone have any insight into his situation and progress?

• Like 1

Any one day in this conference and any team can beat you. There is far more parody now especially since the transfer window and extra Covid-19 year of eligibility redistributes talent across teams and across seasons. Give them their do WMU played well and if they shoot 58% behind the arch they can win in March as much as anyone. 

We have to win by playing harder stronger and more efficiently than the other team every night. We might have stolen this one but we still have the have a team that scored the last 11, played solid D in that final 4 minutes, and put up big points under pressure very quickly to steal it. The upside is this team can be scarey good if they put it together.

I haven't seen all the bobcat games. But I don't believe too many in our conference had them or will have them by a point with 3 minutes to go. I don't care if it looks pretty or not, if this team fights for it a full 40 minutes and wins on hustle, determination and effort they can go further than any of our past teams were able to manage. There is a huge upside, they just have to go take it every minute every day. And we can't be surprised when there are others who are out there to take it from us, the conference is full of talent. 

• Like 2

Was at The JAR and these are my takeaways.

If Broncos shoot 35% from three, still better than their season average Zips win by 10. Made open shots but also some difficult contested shots. 

Zips dominated the boards and forced key turnovers. Effort was there.

The Ali iso offense is painful to watch and not as effective as earlier. Teams are keying on that.

A good team plays hard and finds a way to win even when the opponent punches above their class. Th Zips are a good team, and showed good effort.

The Broncos are not an0-6 last place MAC team when fully healthy. 

8 hours ago, 1981 grad said:

Just watched Florida State beat Duke.  Right after the game, ESPN showed basketball highlights and the first game was the Zips comeback tonight and highlighted the Zips win and that they scored the last 11 points.

Did they crop the video at all to prevent the public from seeing the lack of attendance?

1 hour ago, doccomet87 said:

Was at The JAR and these are my takeaways.

If Broncos shoot 35% from three, still better than their season average Zips win by 10. Made open shots but also some difficult contested shots. 

Zips dominated the boards and forced key turnovers. Effort was there.

The Ali iso offense is painful to watch and not as effective as earlier. Teams are keying on that.

A good team plays hard and finds a way to win even when the opponent punches above their class. Th Zips are a good team, and showed good effort.

The Broncos are not an0-6 last place MAC team when fully healthy. 

Congratulations. One of the few.

If I recall correctly, that was the 2nd time White and Norman had been on the floor together this year.  Those two can win MAC games on their own.  WMU is better than advertised but the Zips gave them a lot of help last night.

Dustin Ford is the defense coach.  He needs to adjust quicker in games.

5 minutes ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

Did they crop the video at all to prevent the public from seeing the lack of attendance?

Congratulations. One of the few.

I resemble that remark

1 hour ago, Zip4Roos said:

Any one day in this conference and any team can beat you. There is far more parody now especially since the transfer window and extra Covid-19 year of eligibility redistributes talent across teams and across seasons. Give them their do WMU played well and if they shoot 58% behind the arch they can win in March as much as anyone. 

4 MAC teams will be on outside of the Top 8.  at 0-6 WMU, may not be able to claw its way up and frankly I wouldn't want to see them again in a first round game.