Game 2- Southern Mississippi

clarkwgriswold

The Golden Eagles (not Rebels) of South Miss come to the JAR Friday night to open the Zips' 2023-2024 home schedule.  They are 1-0 after an opening win over William Carey University.

The Eagles really turned it around last season winning 25 games in their first year in the Sun Belt Conference after three consecutive seasons with single-digit wins.  They are led by Sun Belt Preseason Player of the Year 6'4" senior guard Austin Crowley who averaged 16 ppg last season.  They were predicted to finish fourth in the Sun Belt and are ranked 82 in the KenPom rankings. 

Edited by clarkwgriswold

Aren’t they the Golden Eagles?

Anyway, this is going to be one of the better teams that’s come to the JAR in nonconference play over the years. Same for Bradley, but I think So. Miss. is little more established. The Zips deserve a nice crowd, I’m worried it will be pretty small. But I can hope! 

4 minutes ago, LoyalZIP said:

Aren’t they the Golden Eagles?

Anyway, this is going to be one of the better teams that’s come to the JAR in nonconference play over the years. Same for Bradley, but I think So. Miss. is little more established. The Zips deserve a nice crowd, I’m worried it will be pretty small. But I can hope! 

Yes they are and I am a d!p$h!+!

27 minutes ago, zipsrowdy88 said:

I live out of the area now, how has marketing been?

Per Facebook it is "Hoops for Heroes" night, where military and first responders can get in free. First I've seen of marketing or any type of promotions for this season (can't find a promotional schedule anywhere on our site).