Game 16- Buffalo

Our Canadian friends come to the JAR to face the Zips this Friday night.  The Bulls are 2-13 after loss to Miami.

Heading into the Miami game, 6’8” fifth year forward Sy Chatman leads Bulls scoring at 18.8 ppg (3rd in the MAC), while also contributing 7.1 rpg.  6’6” senior forward Isaiah Adams averages 13.2 ppg.  6’9” senior forward Jonnivius Smith is averaging an impressive 9.5 rpg (2nd in the MAC) to go along with 8.4 ppg.  Anquan Boldin Jr, son of the former NFL star, also plays for the Bulls.

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said:

Our Canadian friends come to the JAR to face the Zips this Friday night.  The Bulls are 2-13 after loss to Miami.

Heading into the Miami game, 6’8” fifth year forward Sy Chatman leads Bulls scoring at 18.8 ppg (3rd in the MAC), while also contributing 7.1 rpg.  6’6” senior forward Isaiah Adams averages 13.2 ppg.  6’9” senior forward Jonnivius Smith is averaging an impressive 9.5 rpg (2nd in the MAC) to go along with 8.4 ppg.  Anquan Boldin Jr, son of the former NFL star, also plays for the Bulls.

Can we get Anquan Boldin Sr. to do the halftime show? Just wheel out a Jugs Machine see the fastest ball he can catch, how many 1 handed catches he can make, etc. 

We have Joe Flacco now so he should feel connected to NEO. 

Edited by Let'sGoZips94

6 minutes ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

Can we get Anquan Boldin Sr. to do the halftime show? Just wheel out a Jugs Machine see the fastest ball he can catch, how many 1 handed catches he can make, etc. 

We have Joe Flacco now so he should feel connected to NEO. 

Boldin's brother is head coach at Lake Erie College so the NEO connection is already in place.

10 hours ago, 1981 grad said:

How the mighty have fallen.  Buffalo had such a good program for many years.  Really surprised to see their dismal record.  Makes me appreciate how good Akron B Ball has been these many years.  You have to give credit to KD and Groce.  

It shouldn't be that big of a surprise. When you reach a level of success where schools like Arizona State and Alabama come calling for your coach, eventually you will replace them with a less than stellar hire. 

25 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

It shouldn't be that big of a surprise. When you reach a level of success where schools like Arizona State and Alabama come calling for your coach, eventually you will replace them with a less than stellar hire. 

We'll see on Halcovage.  He was just hired in March and I suspect is still paying for some of Whitesell's issues.  Halcovage in part should thank the Zips as Whitesell was shown the door after the Zips pummeled the Bulls (101-77) in the MAC tournament.  One of the issues raised by Whitesell's detractors was his ineffectiveness in recruiting and it looks like Halcovage is paying the price for it this season.

26 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said:

We need to get more from Sammy.  So far in MAC play, he's 2 for 17 from the field and averaging 3 points and 4 rebounds a game.  Fortunately, other guys have stepped up to fill the void. 

As Groce has said, he has maintained his contributions in the form of being a great team player. I’ve noticed he’s fighting harder for rebounds and loose balls, even without his shots falling. You can’t necessarily see that in the box score, but a guy like him could quickly de-rail a team if he wasn’t bought in. Not like we have any experience with something like that 😉 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, LoyalZIP said:

As Groce has said, he has maintained his contributions in the form of being a great team player. I’ve noticed he’s fighting harder for rebounds and loose balls, even without his shots falling. You can’t necessarily see that in the box score, but a guy like him could quickly de-rail a team if he wasn’t bought in. Not like we have any experience with something like that 😉 

He and Dawson have been able to stay active and involved during their slumps.  Hopefully, Sammy can snap out of it like Dawson has.

6 hours ago, clarkwgriswold said:

He and Dawson have been able to stay active and involved during their slumps.  Hopefully, Sammy can snap out of it like Dawson has.

Hunter is one-dimensional - he's a modern day David Falknor. A big man that can hit a lot of 3's.

When he's in the post, his feet are slow. He gets beat a lot. If he drives to the hoop, he loses the ball.

I'm not knocking him, or David Falknor (I still own David's senior jersey 😁), but he is what he is. He could give the Zips 29 points on a given night if he's hot and his match up is good. But other than that...a steal...a couple rebounds... that's the typical remainder of his stat sheet. 

Prove me wrong, Sammy!🤘

• Like 1

9 hours ago, clarkwgriswold said:

We'll see on Halcovage.  He was just hired in March and I suspect is still paying for some of Whitesell's issues.  Halcovage in part should thank the Zips as Whitesell was shown the door after the Zips pummeled the Bulls (101-77) in the MAC tournament.  One of the issues raised by Whitesell's detractors was his ineffectiveness in recruiting and it looks like Halcovage is paying the price for it this season.

I should have been more clear. It was Whitesell who the program spiraled downwards on. He started off decent when he still had Oats guys, but progressively deteriorated as Oats players graduated and transferred. I don't have an opinion on the new coach.

• Like 1

Today’s one of those “why are we on tv” games and it’s because there’s literally nothing else on lmao. Best game of the day Duquesne vs Dayton. YSU gets the 9pm ESPN2. Not as many eyes as last week but there will be people tuning in to the zips tonight. Going to be hard to hit that 17.5 point line I think 

1 hour ago, csims0917 said:

Today’s one of those “why are we on tv” games and it’s because there’s literally nothing else on lmao. Best game of the day Duquesne vs Dayton. YSU gets the 9pm ESPN2. Not as many eyes as last week but there will be people tuning in to the zips tonight. Going to be hard to hit that 17.5 point line I think 

CBS Sports has a deal to show a MAC game every Friday. With the MAC being as bad as it is (9 teams with a NET of 200+) that just doesn't give many options for quality games. 

• Like 3

Not sure of the path of this Winter storm, but it started snowing in Northern Illinois around 3:00am and we have a good 5 inches already. It’s supposed to drop between 1-2 feet by Saturday night. Just curious if this mess is due to hit Akron before game time?

Never mind, it looks like you might get a few inches of snow late tonight/early Saturday. 

Edited by Illini Zip

6 minutes ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

If, you're one of those people who enjoys seeing Duquesne get beaten by double digits.

I'm not sure if Vegas knows something that I don't, but I'm seeing Duquesne listed as 1.5 point favorites. I get it's at home, but that doesn't sound right.

8 hours ago, kreed5120 said:

CBS Sports has a deal to show a MAC game every Friday. With the MAC being as bad as it is (9 teams with a NET of 200+) that just doesn't give many options for quality games. 

I'd imagine the Enrique Freeman story is also a nice draw for CBS to highlight. There aren't many noteworthy players in the MAC this year, and Akron has 2 of them (Freeman and Ali Ali). 

7 hours ago, Illini Zip said:

Not sure of the path of this Winter storm, but it started snowing in Northern Illinois around 3:00am and we have a good 5 inches already. It’s supposed to drop between 1-2 feet by Saturday night. Just curious if this mess is due to hit Akron before game time?

Never mind, it looks like you might get a few inches of snow late tonight/early Saturday. 

We just changed our flight back from Florida to Sunday instead of tomorrow. 32 mph winds at landing with gusts up to 40-60 mph. Our flight tomorrow was supposed to take off right as the Browns game kicks off. Now I get to watch the Browns from paradise after watching the Zips take care of business tonight without having to worry about packing to come home.

• Like 1