2024 MAC Tournament

10 minutes ago, MDZip said:

We absolutely cannot let a team that finished below .500 in conference play represent in the NCAA tournament. Go Zips! The whole conference should be rooting for us. 

They should be, but mainly because the best representative of the MAC is Freeman, and the country deserves to see Freeman.

• Like 2

Special night tonight. As big as it gets for us. Chance to make the dance and for most, see a generational talent in person one last time. 

let’s flood that place with Akron fans tonight. No excuses people. 

Edited by Westie

Assuming we will be on the left side bench if you are looking at the scorer's table? The higher seed has been there in the past. Can anyone confirm? I can't find the info anywhere.

I don't want to accidentally get tickets in the PCCC section. I'd spend the whole game helping them after they get confused when the score surpasses the number of fingers and toes they have.

GO ZIPS

9 hours ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

Kent scored 73 today and beat BUGS by 13. BUGS shot 20% from 3 and 37% from the field. Kent shot 51% from the field and 66.7% from 3. Sullinger & Santiago shot 73%(!) from 3 on 15 attempts combined. Do with this information what you will. On one hand it's an impressive clip they were hitting at. On the other hand, it's pathetic that they only won by 13 and only scored 73 despite a nearly 50 percentage point different in success from behind the arc. 

Prather and Lyles each had 0 minutes tonight. They're fresh. Prather needs unleashed tomorrow, and Lyles needs used to absorb some fouls as I'm expecting PCCC to go HARD inside to try and get Freeman in foul trouble. 

Freeman has had 23 & 24 pts in the first 2 editions of this rivalry matchup this season. Kent's main hope is to limit how much Freeman is on the floor. He HAS to be smart, especially when Davis inevitably lowers his shoulder into him over and over again). I do not expect the MAC officiating to magically improve for tomorrow night (tonight was an absolute embarrassment for the league from an officiating standpoint; oh, and Bobcat Attack is complaining the refs didn't call enough fouls).

We had 2 bench pts tonight in total. 2. We're going to need at least 10 from the bench tomorrow night. Ali Ali needs to play motivated but composed; F Ali Ali cannot be in his head for trash talking and reactions. Need more from Tribble tomorrow night, and we need at least one of Dawson and Nate Johnson to have more of a positive impact (won't be hard given their rock bottom performances right now). Hunter needs to play big tomorrow to help Freeman down low. Tavari, Thornton, and Scott just need to take care of the damn ball and facilitate on offense. Get guys moving on and off the ball, and don't try to do too much. 

Lastly, Zips Nation has to be out in full force. The inbreds to the east always travel well and bring their Golden Shower stench with them. Hold your nose, show up, and be loud. Remember, we're the ones with one of the greatest players in MAC history. We have the better coach. We have more experience. And we are the superior school. 

Go Zips!

It's 12:30am and...

…Can’t State still sucks!!

• Like 1

Keys

No early foul trouble for Freeman

Defend the 3.

In the 2 games with Kent, Santiago, Sullinger and T. Freeman shot 3s at 55% (15 of 27).  Last night, S&S shot at a 73% clip (T. Freeman missed his only attempt).  I don't think they can hit 70% again, but that is a key part of their game.

• Like 2

I have 2 daughters - 4 years old and 2 years old. A couple nights a week, I run solo in putting them to bed. On those nights, I sing them 2 songs - Take Me Out to the Ball Game and the University of Akron Fight Song. 

This morning, my 2 year old was running around the kitchen singing the University of Akron Fight Song. 

Akron by a million tonight. LET'S GO ZIPS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 7

I just heard the Groce's comments and glad to see him indicate how well Tavari is playing.  Note to coach: he cannot play well if you don't have him in the game.  In the 2 games he is a plus 27 while on the court.  When the team has overcome 10 point deficits in each game, he has been on the court.  He has outplayed every sub on the team and Nate Johnson.  I hope that he gets the court time he deserves and Groce does not pull him if he makes a mistake on D like he did at the last Kent game.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Zippy87 said:

Just locked in tickets- Angela Rizzo coming up clutch once again!

An large number of Club Level (C119-122) seats between the baselines on the West side have opened up this morning in case anyone hasn't seen. Start at $44. Final price obviously depend on fees and/or discounts applied. $46 with Rizzo promo.

Talking to Steve McNeese last night at the game and thinking about the 2011 M A C Championship game brought back some great Zip memories. I reviewed some of those memories this morning.  Let's write a new chapter in ZIP's basketball history this evening. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, 1981 grad said:

I just heard the Groce's comments and glad to see him indicate how well Tavari is playing.  Note to coach: he cannot play well if you don't have him in the game.  In the 2 games he is a plus 27 while on the court.  When the team has overcome 10 point deficits in each game, he has been on the court.  He has outplayed every sub on the team and Nate Johnson.  I hope that he gets the court time he deserves and Groce does not pull him if he makes a mistake on D like he did at the last Kent game.  

I'm starting to think you are managing Tavari's NIL contracts? Ha!! It's all good. Maybe I'm just jealous, I could use an advocate fighting for me on a daily basis.

Go Tavari!! Go Zips!!

This is how I'm starting the game anyway. I'm rotating guards regularly to keep them fresh, but mainly Tribble to guard Sullinger and Santiago man to man. Don't give those 2 guys an inch to get a shot off. Make the rest of the Flushes beat you. Dare the others to shoot 3 pointers. I am setting up my third guard (likely Ali) at the free throw line to help with any dribble penetration and mid-range shots and I'm camping Sammy and Freeman under each side of the basket. Let's see how they like it when the Zips pack the paint.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Illini Zip said:

I'm starting to think you are managing Tavari's NIL contracts? Ha!! It's all good. Maybe I'm just jealous, I could use an advocate fighting for me on a daily basis.

Go Tavari!! Go Zips!!

26 minutes ago, Illini Zip said:

Go Tavari!! Go Zips!!

I do feel like his advocate for Tavari since Groce seems to be his worst critic.  If the Zips had any flow on offense and Dawson, Nate, Thornton and Scott were producing I would keep my thoughts to myself.  However, having to watch them struggle game after game and then watching Ali, Freeman, and Tribble press and try to do too much because they are getting no help is more than I can stomach as a Zip fan.  Tavari has the talent and give him a chance.  Thus far it has worked out.