2024 MAC Tournament

On 3/11/2024 at 11:03 AM, Captain Kangaroo said:

Bought my Thursday ticket using the ARIZZOMAC2024 code. $19 after taxes for the cheapest one, which is fine because I can sit anywhere I'd like. Not a bad deal to watch 4 D1 tournament basketball games. 

Parking voucher is available for $16 (after taxes). I got one of them too (garage on Huron). No bad for downtown parking . 

The UMass folks will love our affordable tournament. 🙂

Parked in the stadium garage on Thursday and Friday for $10.  Easy out both days.  Wonder if they jack up the price tonight.     

• Like 1

Oh how sweet it would be to beat PCCC three times in 2 months.

In the game at the JAR, the Zips put Ali on Sullinger early and his length seemed to bother him.  When they shut down Insincere they came up with something to frustrate him, pressuring him early and making him go to his left.  I wonder of we'll see a wrinkle tonight.

The guy I am worrying about most is VonCameron Davis.  He's become a better player than I imagined.  He's a tough matchup for the Zips.  He's developed an Ali type backdown yet can still shoot it fairly well from the outside.  Hornbeak is playing fairly well but his backup is weak.  I'd love to see him get in foul trouble early.  Here's hoping Sammy picks up where he left off last night.

No tired legs tonight boys.  This could be the last college game of your life.  No excuses.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 1981 grad said:

Parked in the stadium garage on Thursday and Friday for $10.  Easy out both days.  Wonder if they jack up the price tonight.     

They have in the past to $20. I gambled and bought the $10 pass for $16.25 for tonight

9 minutes ago, GP1 said:

What's the temperature?  Everyone feeling confident?  I am. 

As much as I can be playing in a rivalry game. We have the better team, we’re focused and our guys really want this. I’m hoping we stomp them early, but it’s likely a dog fight right to the end.

8 minutes ago, Illini Zip said:

As much as I can be playing in a rivalry game. We have the better team, we’re focused and our guys really want this. I’m hoping we stomp them early, but it’s likely a dog fight right to the end.

I am just glad we got to the championship.  I had my doubts based on the end of the season but Freeman has been a beast and last night we finally made some 3 pointers in the 2nd half.  If Freeman has gas left in the tank I like our chances.  We just need somebody to step up besides our big 3 whether it Hunter with some threes, Tavari with some baskets and some passes or maybe Dawson, Nate, or somebody else adds some points.  Nate had a nice drive and finish yesterday.  Go Zips!!!

3 hours ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

"This America East conference looks like they know how to operate a conference tournament - give the top seed home court advantage. The MAC should adopt this model. Screw Cleveland." - Toledo fans (probably)

I do think they need to re-visit the format, especially after adding UMass.

From 2002-2011, everyone made it and the top 4 teams received byes to the quarterfinals. 

From 2012-2015, the No. 1 and No. 2 seeds received byes straight to the semifinals, with the No. 3 and No. 4 seeds beginning tournament play in the quarterfinals. 

From 2016 to 2019, the top four seeds received byes into the quarterfinals.

The current format doesn't really offer any advantage to top seeds aside from possibly better matchups.  In a one bid league, I'd prefer the top 2 or 4 teams to get some sort of bye to gain an additional advantage and add value to the regular season.

Im more concerned about the officiating tonight than anything else. If Freeman gets in foul trouble, we're extremely vulnerable. Kent knows they can't stop him, so they'll be trying to get him off the floor. 

We need to play smart and have composure. I like Ali playing with fire, but you can't give these refs any reason to T you up because they will. Tribble has to stay away from bad fouls too. We need to make life hell for Santiago and Sullinger. 

I expect us to play with a pace similar to the 2nd half yesterday. Kent is basically playing 7 guys for heavy minutes...run then off the floor. 

We're the better team. I know our seniors don't want Kent to end their collegiate careers. It's their time tonight - let's go get it!

• Like 1

Took my oldest son to the game last night. At halftime someone asked about the buckeye score, and my son turns to me and says “OSU… are they in league below Akron?”

bro I choked up like I was watching Rudy. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

At the under 12 timeout, some observations...

- We're forcing their guards off the 3 pt line very well

- Not enough Freeman, but that's partially a credit to PCCC

- Gotta keep up the intensity

Given that we are only down 1 anyway and Freeman has 0 fouls, I'll take it.

10 minutes ago, mrelegazna said:

Given that we are only down 1 anyway and Freeman has 0 fouls, I'll take it.

Down 1 and Freeman has 1 now. 

The off the ball movement has been better for us, but we have to make our shots. 38% and 29% from FG and 3P respectively isn't gonna get it done.