2024 MAC Tournament

10 minutes ago, tomzip said:

Someone good at memes needs to do a pinky one after Rollins foul, he and the bench reaction is priceless. 

F Jim Christian too. I couldn't stand being on the same plane with the filthy flashes earlier this year.

As pink as I have ever seen him. 

9 hours ago, clarkwgriswold said:

The guy I am worrying about most is Von Cameron Davis.  He's become a better player than I imagined.  He's a tough matchup for the Zips.  He's developed an Ali type backdown yet can still shoot it fairly well from the outside.  

Good analysis.  Sammy was on him most of the night. Sammy not good on defense.

One reason I was really nervous about this game. This was our best chance in a while. Next year is going to be rough who who we and KSU have returning. Always hopeful, usually realistic. So happy for this year. 😊

16 minutes ago, MDZip said:

MAC All-Tournament Team
Ali Ali - Akron
Enrique Freeman - Akron (MVP)
VonCameron Davis - Kent State
Jalen Sullinger - Kent State
Jaylin Hunter - Ohio

This team would go crazy 

(Taking a social media break for lent but had to make one post today) 

I just bawled my eyes out singing we are the champs. I've watched every eff'n game. All the struggles and down games and I believed and prayed. My biggest regret was not going to the game in 2022. WE ARE CHAMPS AGAIN. WINNING IS EVEN BETTER THE SECOND TIME 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I’ve watched a gazillion sporting events and a lot in person. Tonight will be one of a handful burned in my memory forever. An absolute fist fight for the trip to the dance. Couldn’t be happier. 

Thad Matta always said you don’t have to be the best team in the country, just better than the team you’re playing.

Well, 62-61. And on to March Madness. Congrats to Coach Groce and this wonderful group of young men. You did it!!!

• Like 3

On 3/12/2024 at 12:58 PM, Zippy87 said:

I think there's been some pretty clear roster construction flaws for awhile now. I know he hasn't played up to expectations, but imagine if Ali was never cleared? Yikes.

I have no expectations that this team can win an NCAA Tournament game. I do think, in a wide open year for the league, that they can win the MAC Tournament. It's going to require a re-dedication to defense, some better play from role players, and Freeman finding a way to stay on the court, but they can do it.  I think Miami is a perfect "get right" opportunity with how bad they are offensively. 

How right you were. This team is like no other in recent memory. Guard play on offense is sub-standard, but decent on D. Offense is all up front and we have no real answer for teams that pack the middle. For a team with only a small margain for error, we have far too many turnovers. We are winning on the strength of the greatest player in Akron history ( I have been watching Zips for 70 yrs and Freeman is a once in a lifetime player.

• Like 3

Don't let the Kent brain fart foul distract us from the fact that the Zips absolutely deserved to win this game. That phantom foul on Ali with like 40 seconds left was the most ridiculous thing I have ever seen. I have no idea what the ref saw there. Not only that Nate Johnson was WIDE OPEN at the baseline as the final foul was called. He would have had an easy layup for the win. 

• Like 2